Need a little help please. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-03-2006, 03:03 PM

Need a little help please.

I recently aquired an older loaded two toned champion with problems. It is the first 45 auto I have had since the new pre 80 gold cup I bought in 1978. The frame has a brasil mark as well as U.S. mark serial 366xxx. It does not have the low profile rear sights or a dovetailed front sight. Is this an early model? Is there an illustrated breakdown on this site anywhere? If so, I haven't been able to find it yet.
The main problem I am having is the hammer does not fall far enough to strike the firing pin when trigger is pulled. I would not be surprised if previous owner had tried to do a litttle gunsmithing. Would this model have a firing pin block? Any help will be appreciated for my new paper weight.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:34 PM

No Springfield 1911 has a FPS!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:50 PM

I really should have said ILS but after looking at the main spring housing I have concluded it doesn't have one. After tearing it down I have decided the problem is with the mainspring/thumb safety arrangement. Not sure it was put together right before disassembly,that is why i was hunting a good breakdown. Thanks
Old 12-03-2006, 04:18 PM

I can't help much other than to suggest you repost your question in the "Gunsmithing and Troubleshooting" section. More likely to get a smith to help you out.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Has it got an overtravel adjustment in the trigger? If so back it out.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 AM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
Here is a complete breakdown of the weapon.

http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

Good Luck, Hope this helps
Old 12-04-2006, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the help guys. A heavy duty degunking and backing off the trigger screw seems to have done the trick. Haven't hit the range yet, but it seems to work correctly.