Tungsten Carbide Gent's Knife - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-11-2020, 03:02 PM

Tungsten Carbide Gent's Knife

Recently acquired this Italian folder. The blade is not steel, but polished tungsten carbide with a Rockwell hardness of 70.

Titanium on one side, polished carbon fiber on the other. Very well made and almost weightless in the pocket. Razor sharp.

What is it with the Italians and tungsten?

Last edited by ope135; 04-11-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:07 PM

Very nice, I checked them out at the Cabot display at SHOT show - enjoy

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 04-11-2020, 03:16 PM

Good luck trying to sharpen the blade. If you use it eventually itíll need it.
Good looking knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2020, 03:47 PM

Nice. I checked Cabot's website and never realized they sold knives (wow, $$$). I'd be interested in seeing how that Tungsten is to sharpen.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:17 PM

I sharpen my tungsten electrodes for welding on a belt sander, then a diamond wheel.

Works great.
David
Old 04-11-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_root2000 View Post
I sharpen my tungsten electrodes for welding on a belt sander, then a diamond wheel.

Works great.
David

No disrespect to the OP on his purchase but not everyone has a belt sander and a diamond wheel.
Didnít say it couldnít be done but wouldnít be quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2020, 04:56 PM

This won't get the kind of use where I'll have to sharpen it any time soon. Just a casual daily office knife. No doubt, sharpening tungsten carbide is a challenge.

I was really attracted to the unusual material used and the workmanship, which is top notch.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope135 View Post
This won't get the kind of use where I'll have to sharpen it any time soon. Just a casual daily office knife. No doubt, sharpening tungsten carbide is a challenge.

I was really attracted to the unusual material used and the workmanship, which is top notch.

All that matters is that you like the knife. Everyone has to have something out of the ordinary. Might look into one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2020, 02:12 PM

Well, that should hold an edge for a long while-but I'll bet it won't take much torque to chip or break the blade-that thing is so hard that it has to be giving up toughness and perhaps some strength. It looks like they the blade is pretty much constant thickness until it gets to bevel for the edge which will help prevent chipping.

But if you ever need to whittle some metal off your 1911's slide or punch a hole in a titanium panel you've got the tool to do it!

Sharpening-I believe-would best be done with a guided system, wet, perhaps with wet diamond stones!

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 05-10-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:33 PM

Trick little blade. Although, if it was ACTUAL Tungsten Carbide in its typical form, it wouldn’t be near weightless. Tungsten is DOUBLE the density of steel per given volume.(area) As mentioned, it’s also incredibly difficult to sharpen. And it is extremely brittle, especially in something of blade thinness. And those are only 40 Thous. thick! It’s a different specific alloy of Tungsten. 71hrc is hard, no doubt. But tools like the end kills I use, made of the tried & true cemented Tungsten Carbide, are more along the lines of HIGH 80’s HRC scale hardness. And then there is even Rex76, a super high speed Tool steel made by Crucible metals. It’s a PM steel and contains very close to 10% Tungsten in it’s chemical makeup. It’ll reach 68/70HRC no problem and one of my end mills will still cut through that. Hard...but no match for the tried & true Tungsten Carbide we know.

Last edited by Dave Hoback; 05-14-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:46 AM

The blade is .035" thick, which is why the knife is so light. Not a knife for more than day to day gent's use.

Tungsten is indeed one of the densest metals. The bezel of my watch is the tungsten part, and I can assure you, it's one heavy watch.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:46 PM

To quote the propaganda on Cabot's page...

Quote:
Beginning with our Sandrin’s patented blend of powders from Sandvik and a special process to eliminate brittleness, Sandrin knives are finished with the kind of precision and expertise that only comes with 40 years experience grinding Carbide.
I think it is not tungsten carbide as we typically know it...some different alloy reducing the carbide component or perhaps tempered down from the high hardness known in tool bits. I've used tungsten carbide drill and Dremel bits and they make you cry twice-once when you pay and once when they break! I used to engrave numbers for tool control on equipment for an Electrical Contractor and I did finally manage to wear one out after a little over a year.

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 05-16-2020 at 04:53 PM.