Virus outbreak - Page 20 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-26-2020, 03:22 PM

I can not help but wonder.

If 2020 will be the first year that we actually have a net decrease in the global population. I have long considered that between the way that we treat each other, and the way that we treat the planet. That it was only a matter of time.

For the past couple of decades we have been adding to the global population at about a rate of 70 to 80 million people per year. If I am still around in a couple of years. I am pretty sure that there will be some surprising things to come out of this.

Also I would not be all that surprised to see an increase in domestic violence, red flag laws notwithstanding. It would also expect to see a baby boom of sorts.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:31 PM

^^^

Indeed possible, perhaps probable.

For years, there have been a few who've advanced the idea that some very bad micro-organisms might be the Earth's natural defense against humans. I'm not personally "into" that type of thinking, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it either.

If the coronavirus spreads across Africa, I'm afraid that most other regions' preparations (which are now being subject to much media criticism) will, all of a sudden, look very good. Some have theorized that the virus does not survive quite so well in hot, humid places. Some folks in central/south Texas are anticpating this defensive mechanism. New Orleans may provide an early indicator. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-26-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:35 PM

I have read some reports lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
^^^

Indeed possible, perhaps probable.

For years, there have been a few who've advanced the idea that some very bad micro-organisms might be the Earth's natural defense against humans. I'm not personally "into" that type of thinking, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it either.
That thawing arctic ice is exposing Anthrax spores to the open air. Spores that have been buried in ice for millennia. Not a really pleasant thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 04:25 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
That thawing arctic ice is exposing Anthrax spores to the open air. Spores that have been buried in ice for millennia. Not a really pleasant thought.
That theory has been around for years... decades. Actually it's pathogens in the Siberian permafrost as well as in other areas of the arctic circle like Greenland where there is deep frozen permafrost ground, as well as at the southern hemisphere in Antarctica.

The theory is that there are pathogens that have existed for millions of years when those land masses were green and thriving with different species of plants and animals that may have gone extinct that were deep frozen all this time, and that many modern animals, including humans have no immunity to them because they existed before we evolved into our current form.

They have made TV shows on that theory. The last one was V-War when a parasitic pathogen caused people to turn into vampires!!!

V Wars follows the story of the physician-scientist Dr. Luther Swann and his best friend Michael Fayne as they face the evolving crisis of a deadly outbreak that fractures society into opposing factions, potentially escalating to a future war between humans and vampires.[2] The outbreak is caused by a combination of climate change[3] and an ancient virus that turns humans into vampires.

Edit: There was a TV show on amazon that was good... "Fortitude" where a pathogen escapes a dead mammoth carcasses. It was pretty good actually.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170...-are-waking-up

Last edited by PolymerMan; 03-26-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:49 PM

Some days I think we should just nuke the whole planet and start over
Old 03-26-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Some days I think we should just nuke the whole planet and start over
That was the plot in the Bond movie "The Spy Who Loved Me", although the main thing I remember was a certain female co-star.. "Moonraker" plot was similar.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 03-26-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
But sometimes you just have to wonder. I wonder what would happen if the president just got fed up with it all and quit? While I think that Mike Pence's heart is in the right place, I am not sure that he is really up to the task in times like this.

I could see things going from bad to a lot worse really fast. I think that some of these people do not really care. It is all about grabbing headlines.

They ask him questions like "How many people will die?" or "How long will it be before we have it under control?"
I was asking myself that question because POTUS looks a little worn lately...But upon reflection, I think this is pretty much expected given the weight on his shoulders lately...And he has got to be feeling something, he built the best economy ever in the country and it evaporated (temporarily) over night.

But I'd guess, POTUS will not quit, it just isn't in his DNA. Thank God for President-Trump, I've always prayed for him from time to time, but over the last several weeks I pray for him every morning along with my other prayers.

On Pence, I was underwhelmed with him until POTUS assigned him as Virus-Task-Master, gave him a great opportunity to show what he can do. I have been very, very, impressed with his communication skill and being able to mix in the right amount of emotion with the facts and assertions.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-26-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:00 PM

President Trump has the "Right Stuff" to deal with this. I rather doubt that this is so true for other hypothetical occupants of the Oval Office, certainly both/each of the Dem wannabees.

This past week, Biden's cognitive awareness appears to have declined to the point where he struggles to speak in coherent, complete sentences. E.g., "In a discussion on The View about the need for a vaccine for the coronavirus, Biden left everyone scratching their heads when he said, “We have to take care of the cure. That will make the problem worse no matter what.” ". https://www.rt.com/usa/484169-joe-bi...mber-election/

Not that everything will go well; in current hot spots, things got out of hand in a similar manner as in Italy...due to people congregating together, ignoring the concerns of early pessimists (who now look like realists; but in total fairness we didn't know this when this thread first started). In these, and other future, hot spots, I'm not so sure that we're not going to see outcomes similar to those in Italy.

No number of test kits, masks, or ventilators could, or will, looking forward, prevent spread. Those supplies and equipment only help to accumulate stats, identify those afflicted, and treat those already afflicted. The media seems to create messaging that "not enough stuff" is the problem, but these concerns about "stuff" are really more a treatment problem, not a cause of the spread.

Even if the U.S. had had an astounding supply of ventilators (etc.) on Day One, it would have had no effect on reducing the spread.

President Trump has, and is, working very hard, with a firm grasp of how to marshal private sector resources to fight this very tough battle. There are a lot of problems, but President Trump isn't one of them. He's a, if not the, critical part of the eventual victory over this virus.

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-26-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
That was the plot in the Bond movie "The Spy Who Loved Me", although the main thing I remember was a certain female co-star.. "Moonraker" plot was similar.
Barbara Bach is my favorite Bond actress.

In Moonraker, they were sending capsules or bombs to earth from outer space that would wipe out the people but leave everything else living, IIRC.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:07 PM

I agree, I think that he is pretty tough and will stay the course.

Quote:
President Trump has the "Right Stuff" to deal with this. I rather doubt that this is so true for other hypothetical occupants of the Oval Office, certainly both/each of the Dem wannabees.

President Trump has, and is, working very hard, with a firm grasp of how to marshal private sector resources to fight this very tough battle. There are a lot of problems, but President Trump isn't one of them. He's a, if not the, critical part of the eventual victory over this virus.
Clearly he is a motivated individual that is intent on winning whatever has his attention at any given time. He has to do it. What a great character trait for an elected leader.

I kind of think that he lets his mouth run away from him at times. But at least as often I like it when he goes off of the political correctness route. Long overdue for the chief executive. Like the whole blow up about the "Chinese virus". They all got their panties in a bunch over this! I was sad to see him acquiesce to this. They said that Asian Americans could be targeted for this. But they ignored the fact that anyone at anytime in this country can be targeted for any reason, or for no reason at all. Additionally that Asian Americans have equal protection under the law. How convenient for their spurious narrative!.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
Barbara Bach is my favorite Bond actress.
We have similar tastes.

Somewhere I once read that Roger Moore's wife was less than thrilled about Barbara Bach being his co-star in that movie...and the filming of, and Ms. Bach's set clothing in, certain scenes.

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-26-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:07 PM

Reminds me of the book "earth Abide" by George R Stewart.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:38 PM

Ahh yes your favorite Bond girl!

Quote:
We have similar tastes.

Somewhere I once read that Roger Moore's wife was less than thrilled about Barbara Bach being his co-star in that movie...and the filming of, and Ms. Bach's set clothing in, certain scenes.
Maybe we can get a subforum opened up on this subject. A number of them come to mind pretty quick. Can not imagine why? Jill St. John. I always kind of liked Lana Wood, (Plenty O'toole) she was actually Natalie Wood's sister.

While I have to admit that I think that I liked ***** Galore the best of all of them. Danner Blackmun. She was actually the oldest Bond girl to date. 39 years of age when the film was made. The line is the best line of all the bond movies. "My name is ***** galore." " I must be dreaming!" ( Sean Connery).

And then the young lady that did For your eyes only. Not sure who she was. But in the opening scene. When they showed her coming up from a dive. The scenes showing her on deck showed the eyes of a real Goddess, I was floored!
Old 03-27-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
...And then the young lady that did For your eyes only. Not sure who she was. But in the opening scene. When they showed her coming up from a dive. The scenes showing her on deck showed the eyes of a real Goddess, I was floored!
Carol Bouquet
Old 03-27-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
While I have to admit that I think that I liked ***** Galore the best of all of them. Danner Blackmun. She was actually the oldest Bond girl to date. 39 years of age when the film was made. The line is the best line of all the bond movies. "My name is ***** galore." " I must be dreaming!" ( Sean Connery). ...
I think Spell check got you.....

Honor Blackman. And still alive at age 94.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:06 AM

^^^

And +1911 to all posts on this most enjoyable subject. We gotta have some fun, even if it's a sidebar subject, during these very difficult quasi-disaster-type days. I bet we can be given a pass for a few fun sidebar posts during these "cabin fever" days.

It's easy (and true) to say I liked them all. Of course, I've already hinted at a favorite among the favorites.

One that's not so often mentioned but that I particularly liked, in part because of the unlikely manner in which she was chosen for the part (and other background stuff, including promoting the series for years afterwards), was Maryam d'Abo. She happened to be at an audition set merely as a stand-in opposite for those auditioning for the Bond role...and someone remarked "she looks good". No one had been even considering her for a significant role in the actual movie; she was overjoyed about being selected (virtually out of nowhere, although still a professional actress), liked Timothy Dalton, and it showed in the film. Just don't let her attempt to pilot an aircraft.

Just me, but I feel like most of the early leading "Bond girl" co-stars might have had their roles shortchanged because their voices were dubbed by an uncredited voice artist (which caused some hard feelings later). And the dubbing is so obvious when viewing those movies. Honor Blackman's voice was her own, which I think further helped to elevate her subsequent perceived status as one of the best.

So as to insert firearms into the discussion, one of the more memorable early scenes was Daniella Bianchi shooting dead, with Bond's gun, one of the most evil villains. And then commenting "Horrible woman". I wonder if such scenes might somehow be the subject of a thread, or sub-forum, as well suggested by USMM.

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-27-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:15 PM

Honor Blackman, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I think Spell check got you.....

Honor Blackman. And still alive at age 94.
Yes, still around. I saw a picture of her not long ago. She does not quite have the same effect as she did in the film. But then I wish that I was 39 again myself.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
^^^

And +1911 to all posts on this most enjoyable subject. We gotta have some fun, even if it's a sidebar subject, during these very difficult quasi-disaster-type days. I bet we can be given a pass for a few fun sidebar posts during these "cabin fever" days.

It's easy (and true) to say I liked them all. Of course, I've already hinted at a favorite among the favorites...
Agreed about sidebar subject during these days. My state (NM) was closed down except for "essential" business.

The Bond film after the one with Barbara Bach was Moonraker. The bond girl's character name was Holly Goodhead. I saw a brief interview of her where she comments she wanted her character to have an "obscene" name.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
There are anthrax spores literally everywhere, ice or not.

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 03-27-2020, 06:30 PM

Yep looking like Flint Water Crisis all over again. . .

Except for the fact this is a natural cold virus 'pandemic' vs. lead poisoning from lack of practicing water treatment 101, the incompetence at every level in Michigan is reminding me of the Flint water crisis all over again.

I mentioned in an earlier thread that a major MI hospital was going to buy some of the MILLIONS of available NIB masks out there. Well . . . NO -- despite a recent endowment of BILLIONS of dollars SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF CORONA, they decided that Nurses & other medical professionals and service industry providers on the "front lines" don't actually need them. After-all shouldn't the State of MI buy them? NO -- Michigan Governor would rather sit on her thumbs and wait for the Federal Government and its RED TAPE to provide them all the while competing with States perhaps with larger electoral colleges. Hey, maybe saying nasty stuff about Trump will get his attention, give her party political gain, whatever. Cripes Sakes -- how about taking your State executive position seriously, Gubnor! I kno! Maybe the Nurses Union can spend some of that banked up money from dues to provide some masks for their members? NO -- shouldn't the hospital be providing a safe work environment? They already 'ruled' on the matter!

Give me a Freaking Break! No wonder some us can't take this 'pandemic' seriously if all they can do at every level is stick their thumbs up their arses and blame each other.

For those that actually have THOUSANDS (a local high school may be donating some since their food service kitchen folks don't need them with school closed) and MILLIONS of masks (they are out there, Apple found some) considering donating them, I say SCREW the hospital/state/federal/union bureaucrats -- donate them directly to Nurses, Janitors, and others on the front line DIRECTLY! Just show your Hospital badge, get a few masks! C'mon friends, either treat this thing seriously or stop the pandemic hysteria!
Old 03-27-2020, 06:55 PM

Corona virus death rate like a bad flu, says Dr. Anthony Fauci in this article. In other words, 0.1%. The same people dying--those with compromised immune systems (the elderly and those on certain prescription meds)--as with the regular flu season.

For this we have shortages of toilet paper, guns and ammo*, and the NICS system overloaded. Leftist mayors, governors, etc. try to muscle in on the 2A--completely irrelevant to the "horrible disastrous pandemic".

* Guess those preppers look pretty smart now.....
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.

Last edited by TominMO; 03-27-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Corona virus death rate like a bad flu, says Dr. Anthony Fauci in this article. In other words, 0.1%. The same people dying--those with compromised immune systems (the elderly and those on certain prescription meds)--as with the regular flu season.

For this we have shortages of toilet paper, guns and ammo*, and the NICS system overloaded. Leftist mayors, governors, etc. try to muscle in on the 2A--completely irrelevant to the "horrible disastrous pandemic".

* Guess those preppers look pretty smart now.....
2 months ago I was crazy for stock piling ammo. reloading supplies, and my extra freezer. Now I'm a freaking genius.

btw I always bought tp in bulk when on sale, same for a lot of grocery items.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
2 months ago I was crazy for stock piling ammo. reloading supplies, and my extra freezer. Now I'm a freaking genius.

btw I always bought tp in bulk when on sale, same for a lot of grocery items.
Same for me.... warehouse stores are your friend, if you have the space. 1.5x Sam's club packs of TP on hand at any given time, same with paper towels. I can comfortably wipe for a year or better....
For food stocking, I've started another thread dedicated to that subject....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 03-27-2020, 09:51 PM

This is interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Perdido View Post
There are anthrax spores literally everywhere, ice or not.
I have been until now, unaware of this. So that would appear to nullify any anxiety, warranted or otherwise from any new exposure. Good news as far as I can see it.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I have been until now, unaware of this. So that would appear to nullify any anxiety, warranted or otherwise from any new exposure. Good news as far as I can see it.
Anthrax isn't something conceived in a lab, and sent in the mail 20 years ago.... the vaccine program that the military implement wasn't "new"- it was common for those habitually exposed to livestock- vets and such.

You live in a rural area. You or anyone you know have cows, sheep, or goats? Odds are, you've been exposure to anthrax bacteria. In Its natural form, its not a crisis issue.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams