Blade sharpening - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-02-2020, 10:02 AM

Blade sharpening

Ok, I got my knife now what method of sharpening do you recommend for a beginner?
Old 01-02-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat C View Post
Ok, I got my knife now what method of sharpening do you recommend for a beginner?
There are quite a few threads on this, Pat. Here are two of the more recent.
L.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=927850

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=992780
Old 01-03-2020, 04:14 AM

I recently bought the Spyderco product based on the recommendations here and it did a great job on my kitchen knives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_compulsive View Post
I recently bought the Spyderco product based on the recommendations here and it did a great job on my kitchen knives.
Thanks I ordered one yesterday
Old 01-03-2020, 11:01 AM

Been using the Spyderco ceramic sharpening system since 1994 and could not be more pleased. ALL my knives are "scapel sharp", and I see no reason to change.

Simple, very effective, and cost effective to boot.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:39 PM

If you have lots of edges to sharpen (including lawn mower blades, machetes, axes, kitchen knives, tacticool edges), then I recommend the 1" belt sander from Harbor Freight. Tons of videos on youtube about this, though you have to buy the finer grit belts online because HF doesn't have them in the stores. I have Japanese water stones, diamond grit stones, Lansky, and other fixed edge stone systems, and the belt sander is by far the fastest and easiest. Seriously, when I have a dinner party friends will bring over their entire kitchen set of knives to get a touch up.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:40 AM

I agree with Taxvictim. A 1" beltsander with an angle guide is the best but will take a little bit of practice, not much but a little, to get excellent results. A must if one has longer blades like say a machete to work on.

If one is strictly looking at edc type and kitchen knives then look into the "Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition." It is super easy for beginners to use and delivers some of the sharpest blades I have seen all with an easy to guide sheet. Takes merely seconds to touch up a blade and maybe two minutes to rebevel and sharpen a broken down useless blade into a professional Chef's knife.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:20 AM

+1 on the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition. Super easy, great results. Maybe not the most "pure" manner, but definitely makes life easy with more than acceptable results.

Pocket = LCP w/Crimson Trace
IWB Appendix = Walther PPS
IWB = S&W 1911PD
Old 01-09-2020, 11:29 AM

I've been using Lansky for over 20 years. It does a great job.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTS1 View Post
If one is strictly looking at edc type and kitchen knives then look into the "Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition." It is super easy for beginners to use and delivers some of the sharpest blades I have seen all with an easy to guide sheet. Takes merely seconds to touch up a blade and maybe two minutes to rebevel and sharpen a broken down useless blade into a professional Chef's knife.
^^^Thats superb advice ~ Appreciate the recommendation RogueTS1! I ordered one of those Worksharp Ken Onion machines shortly after reading your post in Pat Cís thread. It arrived yesterday and I sharpened 18 of my wifeís kitchen knives in about 45 minutes, plus around another 16 knives today.

Thereís definitely a learning curve to perfect the proper technique, but for the most part, itís simple to achieve excellent results. I sharpened a few more today, while not perfect, Iím 100% pleased with the results. Some of these would barely penetrate butter, now theyíll all slice paper and shave hair, and thatís without putting forth much effort to sharpen them.
Attached Thumbnails
91B46727-BCDF-414E-946F-84251D205EE4.jpeg   D0E04245-7231-435C-A930-E4625981501E.jpeg  
Old 01-21-2020, 05:12 AM

I have sharpened more knives than I can count . People bring them to me all the time .

I do it old school with stones finish them with ceramic sticks and then finally strop or buff with flitz . This process is too time consuming for most but dose not remove more material than necessary .

Guys bringing me their prized German hunting knives dont want me going at it with a belt sander LOL That said there is certainly a place for those tools when doing a quantity of inexpensive blades or yard tools and mower blades .

Holding the correct edge on a stone by hand comes through practice my grandfather taught me 50 yrs ago . In his day most all men could sharpen a knife on a stone not so today .
Buying some old knives at garage sales to practice with speeds this process and saves your good knives from being whittled to an Ice pick in search of Shaving Sharp
Old 01-26-2020, 08:26 PM

I like the Edge Pro Apex. Power tools may be okay for PRC knives, mower blades and maybe a cheap machete but I wouldn't let anyone touch my carry knives or the Dozier knife with one of them.

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 01-26-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:06 PM

It's not hard to get an edge shaving sharp. Getting an edge that will stay shaving sharp for extended use requires control of the edge angle. And a good knife steel.

I don't do grinders on my knives. Grinders remove metal quickly and I want the metal on my knives to stay on my blades as long as possible. A lot of time and money looking for them just turn around and grind them to dust with an electric grinder.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:19 PM

The Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker stones are useful for gunsmithing as well sharpening knives.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
The Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker stones are useful for gunsmithing as well sharpening knives.
Interesting, I bet they would be!
Old 01-30-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTS1 View Post
That's a good point. That system didn't exist when I switched to a belt sander. I would buy the Ken Onion system if I didn't already have the belt sander.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:11 PM

When I have kitchen knives to sharpen I use a Work Sharp Ken Onion with the blade grinder attachment. When it's my carry fixed blades or folders I go with the KME sharpening system.
Same goes when it's someone else's knives.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:18 PM

Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro is what I went with. I’m happy with the decision.

Wilson Tactical Carry Professional 45
w/ Black Elephant Lo-Profile
Old 02-02-2020, 06:04 PM

Learn to do it with a bench stone first and then try other methods. A bench stone will teach you maintain a consistent angle with repeatability. Sharpening should not be about maximum speed.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Learn to do it with a bench stone first and then try other methods. A bench stone will teach you maintain a consistent angle with repeatability. Sharpening should not be about maximum speed.
I've got a couple waterstones that my Grandfather gave me. His Father gave them to him. They're probably over 100 years old. I've had them for over 40 years. I also use them for chisels and plane blades. I've got a fairly course diamond stone I use for damaged or really dull blades. I also use it to keep my waterstones flat.

I've got a bunch of knives, but the most expensive one is worth less than $100. Still, there's no way I'm using any kind of power tool on them.
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
I agree speed should not be a primary consideration....
I would, however, recommend a different approach, if a progressive process is desired. Take something like the EdgePro as a starting point. This gives you a consistent, steady angle, and helps develop tbe "feel", the "touch" for what right is.
FWIW, I grew up with my grandfather teaching me on bench stones, and am reasonably competent with them. They can produce a great edge. That said, once I started using my Apex, my knoves went from sharp to really shart to crazy sharp, to stupid sharp- in very short order. With the consistency provided by a table and guided stone, I discovered a completely different understanding of what "sharp" means...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-10-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
FWIW, I grew up with my grandfather teaching me on bench stones, and am reasonably competent with them. They can produce a great edge. That said, once I started using my Apex, my knives went from sharp to really sharp to crazy sharp, to stupid sharp- in very short order. With the consistency provided by a table and guided stone, I discovered a completely different understanding of what "sharp" means...
I used to be able to do a DECENT job with good bench stones.

However? I've USED my hands over the years. Have a bit of arthritis. My eyesight has always been crap.

The difference from keeping the angle PERFECT, every time, versus "really close" is HUGE.

Misplaced my Apex about a year back. Will soon be replacing it with either another Edge Pro Apex, or one of the "Wicked Edge" units. Sorta leaning towards the Wicked Edge, because it clamps the blade steady & seems to allow very precise angles on each side.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpchurch View Post
Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro is what I went with. Iím happy with the decision.
That's what I have too but for a complete novice the Spyderco or Worksharp would probably be good for now.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:39 AM

Spyderco is only one of many manual sharpening systems you could opt to get her. But I'd honestly recommend you go for electric, much easier to use, especially for beginners, and less hassle to get the blade sharp too.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:07 PM

I've pulled my old Lansky kit out of the cupboard. Re-profiling the wife's kitchen knives - the Lansky keeps the angle spot on, I then finish with an leather strop with 'green' cutting compound bringing them to hair shaving sharp. For us novices Lansky is a fool proof system.

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI