Assessment Of The Advantages and Disadvantages In Choosing A Hi Power As Duty/Dedicat - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
Given that France put out the specifications for this pistol shortly after fighting five long years of war - much of it trench warfare with the face to face confrontations that entailed - it is much more likely that it was precisely intended for a bunch of people who were being expected to shoot them a whole lot in warfare. Fighting in the trenches was about as close and personal as it gets.

It isn't that WWI left major forces realizing the days of cavalry and their weaponry including handguns were a thing of the past. It was that the touching distance fighting in trenches - often too narrow to do anything with a rifle and bayonet other than shoot, parry, and thrust - devolved to home made maces, pick handles, and lots and lots of handguns. A tour through the trench mock-up at the war museum with it's display of all the tools of the trade for trench fighting and trench raids is quite an eye opener.
This is of course spot on.

In the late 1930s, when the Belgian Army was arming up for WWII, they did not initially issue the Hi Power to officers, instead arming NCOs, tank crewmen, machine gunners, etc. with them. Their officers remained armed with the M1910, at least until a fair amount of new pistols circulated through the lower ranks.

This says that the HP was meant for use by common soldiers in battle situations, not as ceremonial side arms for officers.

By the way guys, I work in quality control for a tool & die company here in western PA, and if I can find the time I'm gonna Rockwell test some HP parts.

Last edited by HPwhit; 05-23-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:45 PM

That would be most interesting.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 05-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPwhit View Post
This is of course spot on.

In the late 1930s, when the Belgian Army was arming up for WWII, they did not initially issue the Hi Power to officers, instead arming NCOs, tank crewmen, machine gunners, etc. with them. Their officers remained armed with the M1910, at least until a fair amount of new pistols circulated through the lower ranks.

This says that the HP was meant for use by common soldiers in battle situations, not as ceremonial side arms for officers.

By the way guys, I work in quality control for a tool & die company here in western PA, and if I can find the time I'm gonna Rockwell test some HP parts.
I would certainly be interested in your findings. I would suggest testing a mk lll slide made on or after 1994. Not sure where the best place to strike a barrel would be. How much force does the test exert upon the test item?

Those of you who continue to scratch your heads over the allegation the recoil spring has nothing to do with hi power longevity will enjoy this:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Custom-T...oductinfo/323/

I know I did.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:58 PM

Outstanding! I believe that's what's called a GRAND SLAM!!!

Better save that link. I suspect that you'll need use it again.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 05-24-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Outstanding! I believe that's what's called a GRAND SLAM!!!

Better save that link. I suspect that you'll need use it again.
Not as long as I can stay on the ignore list.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:34 PM

Oh!!! Snap!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 11:07 PM

Actually you should test broken barrel lugs. That would be most interesting.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 05-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
Those of you who continue to scratch your heads over the allegation the recoil spring has nothing to do with hi power longevity will enjoy this:

I know I did.

Chuntaro,

Maybe this will help spread the word...
Old 05-25-2014, 04:36 AM

Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
So much for the vaunted "Ignore List"

I'm crushed

Last edited by submoa; 05-25-2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Punctuation...
Old 05-25-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
I would certainly be interested in your findings. I would suggest testing a mk lll slide made on or after 1994. Not sure where the best place to strike a barrel would be. How much force does the test exert upon the test item?

I know I did.
I'd give some thought to researching kinematics before carrying this line too much further. As I said in the other thread, it's instructive to actually measure the differences in cycling while changing recoil springs, main springs, and firing pin stops.

And again, as I said in the other thread, Rockwell numbers are poor starting point for fracture toughness or any other property. Do you know the alloys? Anyone know what the micro structure looks like? If you want to talk metallurgical properties, you need more information than a few Rockwell numbers to do so.
Bill's Random Thoughts Blog
Old 05-25-2014, 08:05 AM

This thread started out interesting enough until it turned into a urinating contest and name calling. After four pages, I think all that needed to be said about the High Power has been said.

Some of you should slow down, smell the rose, enjoy the sunshine or even sleep a little later on Sunday morning. It is the Memorial Day weekend. There are other more important things to observe.