1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-21-2014, 03:37 PM

Another Nice Set Of Spegels

Thanks to OldskuleM1911.

I know its old technology. The metalurgy is inferior, and it was no doubt manufacturered by 3 fingured machinists who later went on to run the QC department at Century Arms.

Looks pretty tho, even with a cruddy quick cellphone pic.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:43 PM

Spegel makes the best BHP grips. Don't let that hammer bite you.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 PM

Looks great, I am partial to the darker shades of wood so those are the perfect grips for that
HP.... in my opinion of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 PM

Eicas,

What kind of wood is on that disreputable dinosaur you've got there?
The wood is a brace to hold the whole contraption together, right?

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Banned

Nice grips! Is that one of those substandard guns that is subject to implode?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:33 AM

That's a very nice looking -- business like -- gun. My guess would be for Macassar Ebony. The grain is somewhat hidden by the checkering, but I can see some color in the wood. The glint on the front sight has me curious. What is that from?
Old 05-22-2014, 01:29 AM

Moderator: Some are tolerant of juvenile behaviors. As for me, I can't even be in the room when the wife is watching the Bravo channel. Too bad. Hope you get the problems resolved.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmr357 View Post
That's a very nice looking -- business like -- gun. My guess would be for Macassar Ebony. The grain is somewhat hidden by the checkering, but I can see some color in the wood. The glint on the front sight has me curious. What is that from?
Whatever they are, they look really good. I like the contrast in the grain.
Too bad Spegel doesn't make them just a tad slimmer.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:22 AM

I'll take it

Winston Churchill
Old 05-22-2014, 06:35 AM

beautiful AND functional...

Bill
Old 05-22-2014, 07:16 AM

Very nice restoration. Looks just like Davy Crockett's gun from the Alamo
Old 05-22-2014, 08:07 AM

Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
Moderator: Some are tolerant of juvenile behaviors. As for me, I can't even be in the room when the wife is watching the Bravo channel. Too bad. Hope you get the problems resolved.
WADR my friend, perhaps you missed the humorous nature of the thread, started by the OP...in his OP . Granted it was "missed", more likely ignored...as in "whistling past the graveyard" ignored, by the...well deserving, butt of the humor. It was only mildly subtle...to some anyway , and apparently replied to in the same spirit . Hardly childish...to the level of Bravo Channel anyway .

Either way, allow me to quote some sage...and very recent, advice from "someone" here:

".....If you don't wish to engage on the topic, hit the next thread".

AND...fully realizing some weren't around when Dieudonne' Saive completed his design of the P35 masterpiece and consequently just might not be as familiar with "olde" sayings as others here might be , allow me:

The idiom "whistling past the graveyard" connotes a situation in which a person does something to make of show to others, or even more commonly, to oneself of bravery, or at least nonchalance, in the face of danger or difficulties.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 AM

Me likey! I'm glad the grips finally found a job. I too am curious about the front sight, is that a brass bead?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
In addition to the comments of submoa regarding the missing of the spirit and tone set by the OP, you might have missed some highly inflammatory and disparaging remarks made here regarding the individuals responsible for the delivery of the hi power to our hands and the members that defend and enjoy the hi power for what it is. To add insult to injury, when asked for something more substantiating than marketing terms, the response was every gunsmith knows. Well, every ethical gunsmith knows he would have a conflict of interest in saying so in any context other than pure marketing.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 AM

Now, see, I misread that. I thought he was asking for help from the mods to get his wife off the Bravo Channel.

Spook410 is a good guy, so I suspect he misred or missed some stuff too.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 05-22-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:37 AM

Hideous!

...and a shout out to Madagascar

Old 05-22-2014, 11:47 AM

My comments were in jest. Mostly.

Not sure on the wood. They arrived right before I walked out the door yesterday. I tossed them on quick, took a fast glamour shot off the back porch, and put it in the safe.

Front site is the factory milled. Due to my aging eyes, I took and cleaned the front site divot out a bit with a pin drill, the painted the blade orange and put a drop of white enamel into the divot. It works pretty well. I'm able to pick the blade up fairly quick. I figure I'll shoot the heck out of it this summer, and decide on what I want to do from there.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicas View Post

Not sure on the wood...

Front site is the factory milled. Due to my aging eyes, I took and cleaned the front site divot out a bit with a pin drill, the painted the blade orange and put a drop of white enamel into the divot. It works pretty well. I'm able to pick the blade up fairly quick. I figure I'll shoot the heck out of it this summer, and decide on what I want to do from there.
Looks great. We're thinking along the same lines. I bought this Practical just because it had the bead on the front sight. (Of course, the Don Williams installation played at small part too.)

I put the dark Spegel grips on 1) because they feel good in the hand and 2) the color matched the gun (sort of anyway). These are african blackwood -- something a little older that the stuff he uses these days.

As for the jokes, I think we could all lighten up a little.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:10 PM

Looks good.

I wouldn't mind seeing a shot of the back strap to get an idea of total grip thickness.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicas View Post

I use the front sight paint (nail polish) method myself, even around white dot tritium. Simple, but VERY effective! Laying down a white base coat first really makes the color coat pop.

The other day my wife caught me engrossed in a local TV news blurb on the most durable and chip free nail polish (Revlon, for those who care ).
That got me some snide comments until I reminded her that she had asked me to touch up the paint on the front sight of her MK III.
Sometimes you just can't win!

Last edited by Burgs; 05-22-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:01 PM

Have used nail polish for years. When I was a commercial fisherman, we would waterproof 357 cartridges around the case neck and primer with red Revlon to keep powerheads watertight. Worked pretty well. Now my pistols that don't have a brass bead front site have a spot of red nail polish on the front for fast acquisition.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:01 PM

I'm separated from the gun until Monday. I'll take a decent pic of the pistola and front blade then. Too bad can't do any mods on the duty gun. I'd love to do a "makeover" on that front blade. Those three dots get blurrier every qual.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 PM

It looks like I missed the kerfuffle, but I think the grips look fantastic.

I owned a set of Spegel Delrin grips once... and then I sold them off, like an absolute idiot.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPshooter View Post
It looks like I missed the kerfuffle, but I think the grips look fantastic.

I owned a set of Spegel Delrin grips once... and then I sold them off, like an absolute idiot.
Craig Spegel is not only a craftsman but a gentleman of the highest order. There has never been any "buyer's remorse" with his products on my end, ever.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:27 PM

I was extremely fortunate Oldskule ran across my post and offered the pair up. I went searching for quite a bit and couldnt find any for sale anywhere in the wood I wanted. Craig is not accepting orders right now either.