1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 10:31 PM

Help Identifying USGI (?) Grip Panels

Hello to all,

I have two grip panels that are puzzling me.

[PLEASE: forgive all the LINT and such that shows up on the grip panels in the pictures.
[Sometimes when you take “quick and dirty” pictures, that’s how they come out!

These are the two grip panels off of my Daddys 1918 M1911 Augusta Arsenal rebuild (here).

The first, below, seems pretty straight forward on the surface.

With the K within the 5-pointed star, this would have been made by the Keyes Fibre Co. “for all production by Remington Rand, Ithaca, and Union Switch & Signal for their Model 1911A1 pistols” according to Joe Poyer’s book (page 148).

I could post a picture of the outside of the grip panel, but it looks “normal” with “reinforcing rings around the screw hole” and “thirty rows of diamonds between the upper and lower screw hole reinforcing rings.”

This is “Type 3, 2nd variation” in Poyer’s system.

My question is – Poyer states that the Keyes model mark (with accompanying number) appears in “the lower quadrant at the 5 o’clock position” (which would be with the grips standing vertical).

In Poyer’s picture (page 149), with the grip panel in the same (horizontal) orientation as mine, below, the Keyes mold mark is in the upper right quadrant.

But as you see, my grip panel has the Keyes mold mark in the lower right quadrant.

Did the location of the mold mark “move around” from quadrant to quadrant over time?
And Poyer just failed to note this in his book?
(Seems hard to believe, as he is SO obsessive over detail and minutia in the book.)

Or do I have some obscure variant?

Or what?

The second puzzling grip panel is below.

My question is – what is it?

The only mold mark (which you can maybe see in the close up picture below if you squint) is the...

..N
LOC
..R

The outside of the panel looks just like the first one – reinforcing rings around the screw holes, and thirty rows of diamonds between the upper and lower reinforcing rings.

But the mold mark does not appear anywhere in Poyer’s book.

An obscure variant?

Or maybe a post war grip panel (thus not included in Poyer’s book)?

Was the government buying postwar production grip panels to slap on arsenal rebuilds to “get them out the door”?

Any information about these grip panels greatly appreciated.

JamesRJr

Old 05-25-2009, 11:14 PM

One grip panel is a standard WWII Keyes, while the other is a post WWII replacement by NOR LOC. During rebuild a grip panel was a grip panel, and no effort was made to match them.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:24 PM

I was doing a search for this very same question due to the Poyer book stating that the Keyes Star would be at the 5 o'clock position (lower right quadrant), and the grip panel I have meets that description but the other half has the star in the lower left quadrant at the 7 o'clock position. Sounds like the reply to this post is confirming that it is a WWII Keyes grip. So does that mean that Poyer's book is missing this info and many of the grips have the Keyes logo at the 7 o'clock position as well as the 5 o'clock position?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 PM

Not to hijack the thread but where can you still buy those grips? I got a name 3 or more years ago but can't find that info anymore.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
Not to hijack the thread but where can you still buy those grips? I got a name 3 or more years ago but can't find that info anymore.

Thanks
http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?...946ae5fe61de78
Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome5982 View Post
I was doing a search for this very same question due to the Poyer book stating that the Keyes Star would be at the 5 o'clock position (lower right quadrant), and the grip panel I have meets that description but the other half has the star in the lower left quadrant at the 7 o'clock position. Sounds like the reply to this post is confirming that it is a WWII Keyes grip. So does that mean that Poyer's book is missing this info and many of the grips have the Keyes logo at the 7 o'clock position as well as the 5 o'clock position?
Probably a misuse of irrelevant information. When the grip panels are on the pistol, the Keyes logo is toward the front of the pistol grip on both panels. Therefore....the right grip panel will have the Keyes logo in the lower left side (7:00 ?) while the left grip will have the logo in the lower right side (5:00 ?). Make sense?

A funky pair of grips, but you get the idea.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 AM

Excellent explanation. Thank you very much Johnny Peppers.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plywoodking View Post
Jeff...

Which are you looking for.......the Keyes grips or the Nor Loc ones?
Keyes I guess, I bought several sets long ago and I ordered I think 1 set of each. Not sure which was my preferred type

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome5982 View Post
THAT'S THE LINK!!! THANKS!