Rookie - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 10:53 AM

I'll second the votes for Case and Queen but I'm big on supporting the US manufacturers. I also like the Mora/Frost line and the German made Boker knives. My safety razor came from Germany. I don't have as much of a problem with imports in general as I do with being ripped off for sub-standard junk. The Europeans have good quality assurance, the PRC does not...

While one has to look at the label now as Buck is importing some blades from the People's Republic of Crap they do have some very good and very serviceable blades made domestically.

The steel Buck uses is mundane but they are durable and reliable knives which are the basic requirements for an EDC knife. Yes, the so called "super steels" are nice and may hold an edge longer but I'm not sure that they are worth the 3-5 times the cost.

And boy, am I disappointed with Benchmade for their short sighted politics but one of these days, after the libtards abolish the private ownership of firearms the BM family will find out that the political agenda they have been supporting all of these years is also working to take the most basic tool out of mankind's hand and put them out of business as well...

I guess they don't know about knife laws in England, South Korea or much of the rest of the so-called "civilized" world!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/60...e8e6a08588.jpg

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 01-10-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:40 PM

I carry the Para 3 (non light weight). Originally bought the the Para Military 2 but it is kinda big in the pocket. I have a couple of Zero Tolerance knives but again big in the pocket. I have several Bench Made knives but I bought them before the big "scandal". I won't buy anymore but there are so many knife makers why worry.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:27 AM

I've never heard about Benchmade being involved in politics. But even if we move that aside, I've worked both with Benchmade models and other brands, and Benchmade is really overpriced. What's the reason you want a knife? Will it be the one for combat? if so I'd recommend you to start with Ka-Bar. It's $70 or something
Old 04-20-2020, 09:10 PM

Was just gifted this knife from Off Grid Knives. First assisted flipper and it is solid. The blade is the best feature and reasonably priced...

https://www.offgridknives.com/rapidfirecoyote

Regards,
Travis
Old 04-21-2020, 03:51 PM

That Para 3 looks like a good choice, you should really like it. I had an Endura for a long time and was pleased with it...
Old 04-22-2020, 01:57 AM

I bought an old Queen at a flea market at the Nashville (TN) fairgrounds. Congress style.
My wife and I used to go to Gatlinburg (TN) almost every year, sometimes twice. There, I was introduced to Smokey Mt. Knife Works. I bought one of the first Kershaw that had the easy open design (Kershaw Ken Onion Boa KS1580, now discontinued), a Syderco with Seki City steel blade and a Stainless handle, an Al Mar, a Gerber knife autographed by Pete Gerber, an older Bulldog brand and a Beretta with a Seki City blade. I'm needing to part with it as I'm needing funds. Great, heavy duty knife that I never carried or used, still in its' original packaging.
Attached Thumbnails
xunb7HNVTo6ld42UKungUw.jpg   uavlTFolQQKZZVVe9AMkxQ.jpg   6FMRpGVvRdWOcAe62DgyTg.jpg   h0tNcDo6QHiHlarG5aQ3rg.jpg   j+7XXDJVRsSplTcc7MlGcA.jpg   chqgphjMTfeK3UKWzpe7bw.jpg  

Last edited by JGKC9AYC; 04-22-2020 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat C View Post
Hey guys Iím new to the knife world. Looking for a edc knive that wonít break the bank. Iíve seen knives in the 3-5 hundred dollar range not sure what makes them so expensive Iím sure itís has to be the blade and the maker. I want something nice but not that nice, somewhere in the 100-150 range or less if you guys know some.
Buy yourself a Spyderco PM2 in S30V, G10 grips, for around $125-140... and call it a day! Great knife design, made in Golden, CO, sharp, ergonomic, lightweight, strong and bullet proof.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:48 PM

Proceed with caution. After a few short months from one knife to...
My wife went in the safe today and suddenly noticed - and this pic is from a month ago.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_b67.jpeg  
Old 04-22-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_compulsive View Post
My wife went in the safe today and suddenly noticed - and this pic is from a month ago.
That happened with me about 10-12 years ago when I sort of returned to my farm boy roots knife wise. I became a regular on the Traditional subforum over on Bladeforums. Then it was too many nights on ebay back when they actually had some good auctions going for traditional knives.

A few months I counted up my purchases and was bit shocked to see how much I had spent in knives over about three months.

The problem is even though I've given away, sold, or otherwise reduced my knife inventory it doesn't actually reduce. Just sort of changes along with still growing slowly.

The funny thing is I pretty much carry the same three simple slipjoint knives everyday. But there are plenty laying around on the desk, the nightstand, anywhere I spend a bit of time. I only have three on the desk as I'm typing this so I have slowed down a little.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 04-22-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_compulsive View Post
That reminds me, I need to get my safe organized...