BFD piston-driven, gas-operated 1911 - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-11-2020, 03:47 PM
Flight Medic's Avatar
Flight Medic Flight Medic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by subscriber View Post

<snip> Also, because it carries its own baggage, such as fouling the gun and requiring more frequent cleaning to remain reliable.</snip>
That's what I hated about my Desert Eagle .50...after just one box of ammo the internals looked like someone was burning rubber tires in there.
__________________
SAVE OUR COUNTRY - VOTE TRUMP 2020
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-11-2020, 04:24 PM
7.62Kolectr 7.62Kolectr is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: On Guard.....
Posts: 5,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I saw a cool rust-removing "Laser Weapon" video today. It had a 6" wide beam & was frying surface rust off of sheetmetal in seconds flat. It was awesome.

I could totally use that.
And it doesn’t hurt skin or burn you.
I’ve seen that
__________________
http://constitution.org/lrev/rkba_wayment.htm
COTEP#782
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-11-2020, 07:45 PM
subscriber subscriber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 5,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post

Very interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHrr-Eqo3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytqbPRwvzvM

Claim to fame is low muzzle flip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ypvBKDs-eM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullR2VEdEyY
__________________
You can't reason people out of a position they didn't reason their way into...

Last edited by subscriber; 04-11-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-11-2020, 07:54 PM
USMM guy USMM guy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rural VA
Posts: 22,242
People are always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Some of them do better than others. Just sayin.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-11-2020, 07:56 PM
Totally Tactical Totally Tactical is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,450
It has been done.
The point that it crashed and burned, kinda tells that it never brought anything better to the table.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-11-2020, 07:58 PM
subscriber subscriber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 5,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tactical View Post
It has been done.
The point that it crashed and burned, kinda tells that it never brought anything better to the table.
I will be interesting to see if this "better mousetrap" stand the test of time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHrr-Eqo3Y
__________________
You can't reason people out of a position they didn't reason their way into...
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-11-2020, 08:05 PM
subscriber subscriber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 5,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Lorenz View Post
Ed Masaki made one that works really well:
The principle was different. Rather than use gas pressure to apply a holding force to close the action, the Masaki Dragon Gun simply wasted the extra gas. In such a manner as to not contribute to slide velocity, rather than actively oppose it.

This gas waste resulted in reduced bullet velocity, effectively converting hardball into target loads.
__________________
You can't reason people out of a position they didn't reason their way into...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-12-2020, 04:20 AM
1911crazy 1911crazy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 4,561
My norinco project 1911 with a fitted usgi new barrel and a nm barrel bushing shoots clusters and cloverleafs at 25 yds. Accuracy is the proper fitting of the barrel bushing to the slide first then fit the barrel. The FLGR with 18# spring keeps the muzzle down. I didn’t touch the usgi loose frame rail fit yet. I think JB’s orginal design is spot on.

I was never that accurate with a 1911 till I built this one. My norc has less recoil than the one in the first post
__________________
Ask yourself is what i'm about to do SAFE???? (From the national timber fellers association)

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 04-12-2020 at 04:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-12-2020, 10:24 PM
partsproduction partsproduction is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,222
A friend has an HK using this basic idea, says it gets too hot to hold pretty quickly. To me this is the opposite of a beautiful design concept, the unlocking of barrel from breech after the bullet has left the barrel through the impulse of gas ported near the muzzle, and this pressure also used to power the resulting extraction and reloading to some degree, now that's beautiful. JMB's genius in another form. (1905 potato digger)
__________________
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure, when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?"
—Thomas Jefferson
Hardened 416 stainless guide rods for Colt Mustangs, &
416 stainless Sig P-238 & P938 triggers
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-13-2020, 04:42 AM
Rosco Benson's Avatar
Rosco Benson Rosco Benson is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,113
Since the barrel isn't linking up and down, the fixed barrel just sits straight...unlike a normal 1911 in which the barrel is at a slight downward angle when it locks up. This then requires a very short front sight in order to zero the pistol.

This makes getting a proper flash sight picture more difficult.

Rosco
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-13-2020, 06:42 AM
Rumblur Rumblur is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 677
Wildey built gas operated 1911 style framed pistols for decades. I sold mine because ammo was no longer available. I've never seen anything that powerful, that accurate and with so little recoil in my life.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-13-2020, 07:38 AM
subscriber subscriber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 5,192
They make a lot of the barrel not moving. Yet the sights are on the slide, and that moves relative to the barrel. Better to allow the barrel to lock up consistently with the slide, so its relationship with the sights is consistent...
__________________
You can't reason people out of a position they didn't reason their way into...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-13-2020, 07:45 AM
The War Wagon The War Wagon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: da' 'BURGH
Age: 53
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by subscriber View Post
Gents,

This is not a gas operated locked / unlocked breech system, as used on the Garand or Desert Eagle.

Or Tec-9?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-13-2020, 07:47 AM
subscriber subscriber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 5,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Or Tec-9?
Not sure what your point is?
__________________
You can't reason people out of a position they didn't reason their way into...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved