1911Forum banner

Thinking I want a new gun

2K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  John-C 
#1 ·
Been more than a month since I bought a gun. Thinking it is time to start thinking about a new one. While walking through a store I spotted a .22 Browning 1911. Didn't look at it at the time, so I started searching the Web today. Now I live in a extremely repressed state, California, ruled by freedom hating Democrats that work tirelessly to erase the right to own firearms. (No I won't move for them.) So my options are very limited.
From the roster of guns we are allowed to buy, I see 3 Kimbers 1911 .22s listed. Except I can't find them on the Kimber web site. No longer made?
Which is the better purchase? The Browning 1911-22 or a Kimber if available.
I would like to buy the Browning, but only the basic GI version is allowed here.
And it appears upgrades aren't easy to come by for the Browning.
Still researching, Options are wanted.
Thanks,
John

#2 ·
The Browning is a two thirds size 1911 with extremely few upgrades available. Then Kimber is a full size true 1911 with unlimited custom options, grips, parts available for it. Kimber also sells a .22 upper if you already own a 1911 frame. Kimber makes one with match, adjustable sights.

#6 ·
Well I do have a Colt Combat commander and a Colt officers model. I suppose I could get a conversion for them. I haven't put any thought into that yet. Any recommended conversions for a Commander?

Or I suppose I could trick out my standard Buckmark instead of purchasing a new gun.
Throwing out ideas.
Thanks

#12 ·
A 22 conversion for a 1911 is a great way to get trigger time with your 1911 while using cheap ammo. I have a Nelson. Great product. I also have a Browning Challenger and a Super Single Six and a Walther 22LR GSP target pistol. All are loads of fun.

#18 ·
I asked to look at the Browning yesterday. The man working the counter cleared the gun before he handed it to me and skinned the top of his hand. He said "That gun gets me everytime!" He kept looking at his wounded hand during our chat, must have hurt. Well that decided it for me. Just too little. I could see I would be getting hammer bit all the time. Would have to modify the gun right off the bat. Maybe someday. I want to like the Browning.
He said "Hold on, check this out." And pulled out the GSG 1911 22. It is full sized. But suspiciously inexpensive. $299 and in California even. It felt good in the hand. Obviously isn't on the same level of quality as my Colt Commander. But I couldn't see anything wrong with it at that price level. Web reviews seem favorable. Is there such a thing as a decent gun that's not expensive enough to trust it?

#25 ·
He said "Hold on, check this out." And pulled out the GSG 1911 22. It is full sized. But suspiciously inexpensive. $299 and in California even. It felt good in the hand. Obviously isn't on the same level of quality as my Colt Commander. But I couldn't see anything wrong with it at that price level. Web reviews seem favorable. Is there such a thing as a decent gun that's not expensive enough to trust it?
While the GSG is inexpensive (I got a CA compliant one for less than what you cited), it has been reliable and fun to shoot.

#22 · (Edited)
I have both the Browning 1911-22 (the original aluminum-framed pistol) and a Nelson conversion (here on my Springfield Range Officer). Each is absolutly terrific! But, they are designed for different applications.

If you are looking for a target gun or for a 1911 trainer, go with the Nelson. Plan to do a little ammo testing (and possibly some mechanical "tuning" including the trigger) to get 100 % reliability and target accuracy. For example, I ended up changing the mainspring of a Tisas 1911 to get reliable operation as explained in >>>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bLj0xncj6UcnNrR3RKbGxlOTg/view?usp=sharing

If you want a fun plinker that is 100% reliable with virtually any ammo, buy the Browning. It is a hoot-to-shoot and folks with small hands (girlfriend, kids?) love it. Its manual-of-arms and break down are strictly 1911.
Both are really high quality guns, far nicer than the $200 pot-metal 1911s. But then you might also find happiness with a Ruger Mark 1, 2, 3 or 4 or even a nice Smith & Wesson model 17.

Good luck with making your choice!

#23 ·
I believe it depends what you want. Do you want a trainer pistol for your full size 1911? Or do you want a pistol that is lightweight and compact, engineered for the cartridge that it fires.

I have both, at one time I went "all in" with my thought that a Colt Ace and seven .22 mags was gonna be my ticket to cheap USPSA training. I did it for about a year, dedicated. I found that it got real boring and that I preferred paying more for real .45ACP. I just didn't like it. I still got it but rarely use it.

I have a Browning .22 1911. It still gets shot a lot. It is my "go to" .22 pistol. It is light easy to carry and fun to shoot. I do not use it for training; I use it for chance contact with critters while I am about my property. Or plinking. My kayak gun. It does have poor sights, but I still kill far more than I miss. My favorite target is Armodillos. It is kinda cool to shoot three Armidillos in one engagement with the Browning. If you just want a plinker and a fun pistol than my vote is Browning. I love mine. As far as malfunction, I honesty don't think it ever has...I don't even lube it like I shuould. It just keeps running.

For target shooting the Kimber would be my choice.

Good luck

#28 ·
S&W 41 is on the "Olympic exemption" list, so you can buy a new one or even a used one from out of state, you just have to make sure your FFL knows how to process it.

Browning Buck Marks are decent too.
Or a CZ 75 with the Kadet adapter.

I have both a 41 and Kadet.
Would be hard pressed to choose a favorite.
Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.