1943 Remington 1911 A1 Question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 AM

1943 Remington 1911 A1 Question

I have a 1911 A1 that was built in 1943. My father-in-law carried it during WWII while in Germany. I had the barrel link pin replaced by a Gunsmith which was the only real issue I could find. I am not sure when it was fired last and I would really like to give it a try. The slide is not tight but then again not sloppy loose. All safety features work well. I am going to assume that the worst that can happen would be an FTE should I decide to take it to the range. Any comments from the experts would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:17 AM

Shoot it. There are plenty of older 1911s. Out there being shot. Try just loading two in a magazine the first time just in case.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Try hand cycling a few dummy rounds , if that checks ok then load one round and fire , if the round fire ejects and the slide locks open try it with 2 rounds , if that works then you should be fine. Use ball only , no hollow points or +p

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Old 03-20-2017, 01:07 PM

It's more than " fine ". GI pistols were made to work when dirty , not for shooting matches at paper targets.you are very fortunate to have such a firearm and many of us would like to have something like that. Post a pic if you don't mind, I'd like to see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 01:40 PM

1943 Remington 1911 A1

Photos of this 1911
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0924.JPG   IMG_0925.JPG  
Old 03-20-2017, 01:42 PM

Thank you all for the advise. I will give it a try.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:23 PM

Very cool, very cool. ( lucky dog )
I wouldn't change a thing, just keep it cleaned after shooting, and enjoy
KyBoB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 03:32 PM

I have a RR 1942 my uncle's ww2 .
Shoots great.
A pieceof history that deserves care and to be shot not abused.
Enjoy
Old 03-20-2017, 03:58 PM

Very nicely preserved I would wear gloves handling it so sweat doesn't promote corrosion.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:01 PM

I guess back then they didn't worry about that idiot scratch by the slide stop...Ha Ha.
I hope nobody takes that badly. I would never call a man that served in WWII an idiot. God bless him.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejc View Post
I guess back then they didn't worry about that idiot scratch by the slide stop...Ha Ha.
I hope nobody takes that badly. I would never call a man that served in WWII an idiot. God bless him.
Well, I think that it's only called an idiot scratch on modern expensive pieces of jewellery.

Back then it was called timed assembly (in a piece owned by the Government).
Old 03-20-2017, 06:07 PM

Back then no one noticed or cared. I would replace the recoil spring with a new 16 lb. spring - there's no telling how many years that recoil spring has been used with hard ball. Shoot it, clean it, oil it. Then smile.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:38 PM

The pistol is a Rock Island Armory rebuild checked by Frank Krack, load up a few mags and fire that bad larry.
Rebuilt well after WW2 I believe.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 PM

I think that's the best-looking rebuild I've seen. It went through Rock Island and was inspected by Frank Krack (FK). Its also where the Ordnance 'flaming bomb' acceptance mark was placed under the 'US Prop...' mark. It also has the original Ordnance 'crossed cannons acceptance mark behind the grip and it is unusually distinct. In fact, I'm starting to think it just 'passed-through' RIA without being overhauled because it was in excellent shape. FK was at RIA from Sep., 1941 through July, 1946, so the pistol went through there between those dates. This complicates the story of who had it where and when but I'm not going there.
Personally, I would not shoot it any more than to prove that its functional. If it has original finish its probably a $1900 pistol and as a rebuild (if refinished) would be about $1250. It simply looks crisp, the colors and textures are correct, the edges are sharp and I am not seeing the usual signs of heavy blasting on the typical re-Parkerize. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it deserves a hands-on appraisal by someone who knows the U.S. pistols.

Infidel; I was writing while you were posting.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Administrator

I was about to type a reply, but 1saxman basically said what I was going to say. The pistol might be too nice to turn into a shooter, and while on the subject remember that WW2 and earlier slides were not fully heat treated so they're not as long-term durable as those on a modern 1911.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 PM

I agree it looks to be an arsenal pass through, not a rebuild and best not to use as a $400 shooter. Of course that is a decision everyone must make on their own.

Was just reading a thread on another forum. A guy got a P-38 from a neighbor who bought in in 1958 for $17. He took it out and shot it with white box Winchester a month later and the slide cracked.

I would suspect a P-38 slide to break 10 times more often than a 1911A1 slide but shooting a old collectable firearm involves a risk benefit analysis.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette View Post
I agree it looks to be an arsenal pass through, not a rebuild and best not to use as a $400 shooter. Of course that is a decision everyone must make on their own.

Was just reading a thread on another forum. A guy got a P-38 from a neighbor who bought in in 1958 for $17. He took it out and shot it with white box Winchester a month later and the slide cracked.

I would suspect a P-38 slide to break 10 times more often than a 1911A1 slide but shooting a old collectable firearm involves a risk benefit analysis.
As usual I basically agree on this topic.
In my opinion would be a waste to use that pistol as a shooter, never mind who says: "shoot the heck out of it, it was made to shoot not to be looked at".
I repeat myself but if you want to have fun at the range and shoot a 1911 a REMINGTON R1 will work to perfection. IMHO

Before you start collecting 1911s .... buy books! Collect "quality" not something that you'll be forever making excuses for, and buy the gun not the story behind it.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief390 View Post
Photos of this 1911
Looks like your father in law took real good care of it.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

Not an "expert" but, here's my belated $.02 ... I would cherish that pistol for what it is; a genuine WWII family heirloom to be treasured and passed to future generations.

It's WAY to sentimentally "valuable" to risk damaging it. YMMV.

EDIT: Whoops. I just read Infidel's and Saxman's comments on the rebuild being post WWII. So, the question becomes: is this "THE" pistol your F-I-L carried during WWII or "one like" he carried in WWII. Or, was he perhaps stationed in Germany after the war ended?

Either way, I still would't shoot it. It's too nice. Moreover, it's still YMMV
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - Hunter S. Thompson- .Happy the man and happy he alone, He who can call today his own. He who secure within can say, Tomorrow, do thy worst for I have lived today - John Dryden -

Last edited by walksoftly; Yesterday at 10:14 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

SHOOT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Today, 05:24 AM

Just curious how many Remington Rand Slides are known to be cracked? Not Colt! Only Remington slides here please. Just to give a feel for the likelihood of a shooting crack. So if 100's of cracked slides are reported then it is likely. If none are reported then it is unlikely. I do not shoot my collectibles anymore. But I even used to shoot my pre-war Super Match back when I acquired from Lowell Pauli.