Help with Berry's Bullets - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 10:25 PM

Help with Berry's Bullets

Bought my first batch of Berry's bullets and need a little guidance.

Planning to load plated 210 grain .410 FP bullets for the 41 magnum. Looking for a 1150-1200 fps load with Accurate #9 powder. How much powder and how much roll crimp do you use with a similar load?

Included 250 plated 200 grain 45 ACP SWCs (#41391) in the order to test. They turned out to be the short nose type. What is the "magic" OAL for this bullet to feed reliably? A 1.250" to 1.260" OAL for the 200 grain long nose H&G #68 bullet feeds flawlessly in all my 1911 45s.
DAV Life Member
Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 PM

Might check here:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...2016_Web-1.pdf
Old 03-18-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO View Post

Included 250 plated 200 grain 45 ACP SWCs (#41391) in the order to test. They turned out to be the short nose type. What is the "magic" OAL for this bullet to feed reliably? .
can't help with 41 mag loads, but the short stubby nose SWC bullets can't be loaded as long as HG68 type SWC

do a plunk test with dummy rnds to determine max OAL .
and run them near or at max length

..L.T.A.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:12 AM

.41 Magnum...

In my experience the Accurate data can be a bit aggressive for certain bullets. I tried #9 behind Lasercast 215gr LSWC which are good enough bullets but they just weren't up to the full magnum charges and leaded terribly in both a S&W -57 and a Marlin lever gun. I suspect that the plated bullets would break down under the same conditions.

Honestly I believe with that bullet you would do much better with Accurate #5 which according to the Western Powder Guide #6 will get you into the velocity range you desire.

Depending on your firearm(s) in .41 Mag you would likely be better served in the 1200fps plus range by a cast and gas checked bullet or jacketed bullet or perhaps even a hard cast plain base bullet.

What concerns me most about the Berry bullet in .41 is that it has no crimp grove in the illustration and plated bullets are notoriously sensitive to excessive crimp. Your crimp will have to be very light which will require good neck tension to avoid destroying the fragile plating while preventing bullet unseating under recoil.

Sadly, Sierra is no longer producing their excellent 220gr FPJ which was likely one of the best bullets ever manufactured for the wonderful .41 Mag...
Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM

Play with a Lee Factory Crimp Die for that 41Mag and Berrys. Be careful and adjust a little at a time. When your rounds are around 1200fps you won't need a great deal of crimp to keep them in place but as Capt. Methane mentioned watch the plating.

I use a number of them for different rounds but if your going to load hotter than target in that pistol you would be better with hard cast lead with a crimp groove. Berrys does make those as do a number of others or get a mold and pour your own!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO View Post
Bought my first batch of Berry's bullets and need a little guidance.

Planning to load plated 210 grain .410 FP bullets for the 41 magnum. Looking for a 1150-1200 fps load with Accurate #9 powder. How much powder and how much roll crimp do you use with a similar load?

Included 250 plated 200 grain 45 ACP SWCs (#41391) in the order to test. They turned out to be the short nose type. What is the "magic" OAL for this bullet to feed reliably? A 1.250" to 1.260" OAL for the 200 grain long nose H&G #68 bullet feeds flawlessly in all my 1911 45s.
Always a firm crimp on revolver rounds. I would not exceed 16 grains of #9 due to velocity getting over 1200. That's about where you would be I figure and plated should be kept at or below that. The OAL length for those SWC should be less than 1.25. The flat tip lends itself to a lesser value. A couple of my books are showing 1.23 to 1.24.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 AM

For the .45s do the plunk test. I find I need to load the 200gr FPs to 1.200" to pass.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
....but the short stubby nose SWC bullets can't be loaded as long as HG68 type SWC

do a plunk test with dummy rnds to determine max OAL .
and run them near or at max length

..L.T.A.
Agree...I run mine around 1.225"....
Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 PM

Have been shooting the Berry's .41 since they brought them out. My target load is 8.0 grains of Unique that run 950 fps. 9.0 will run 1100 and 10.0 close to 1200...that is from a 4". I have also used 22.0 grains of H110 that runs in the mid-1200.

Have not used any #9 for the .41 yet as I have saved this powder for my 10mm.

As to crimp and the Berrys ungrooved bullets...just pick a spot (I'm about the width of a dime below the shoulder) and put all the crimp you want on it. I use a Lee Carbide Factory Die and use a VERY heavy crimp regardless of the bullet. I have both pulled and recovered bullets that have been fired and the case mouth has never compromised the plating...

Bob
Old 03-21-2017, 09:33 PM

You might want to check with Berry and see what their position is on a max velocity for those bullets. I think they're at like 1200 fps so you're right there. Also use a taper crimp but be careful to not punch through the plating. Some are marked "TP" for Thick Plated.

Found it on there web site;

Quote:
Question: How fast can I shoot these bullets?
We guarantee our Standard Pistol Bullets to handle velocities up to 1,250 fps, and up to 1,500 fps for the bullets designated as TP (thick plate).

Our 30-30 bullets can handle velocities up to 1,950 fps.

Our 45-70 bullets can handle velocities up to 1,700 fps.

Our 7.62x39 bullets can handle velocities up to 1,900 fps.

Our 30 Carbine bullets can handle velocities up to 1,750 fps.

Our 500 S&W bullets can handle velocities up to 2,000 fps.

Berry’s cannot guarantee our bullet over the max velocity. You are running the risk of separating the plating from the lead core and possibly fouling your barrel with copper, you can also negatively affect accuracy.
There is some other usefull information there in their FAQs ====>https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq#FAQ7

COTEP 642

Last edited by The Earl o Sammich; 03-21-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post
Have been shooting the Berry's .41 since they brought them out. My target load is 8.0 grains of Unique that run 950 fps. 9.0 will run 1100 and 10.0 close to 1200...that is from a 4". I have also used 22.0 grains of H110 that runs in the mid-1200.

Have not used any #9 for the .41 yet as I have saved this powder for my 10mm.

As to crimp and the Berrys ungrooved bullets...just pick a spot (I'm about the width of a dime below the shoulder) and put all the crimp you want on it. I use a Lee Carbide Factory Die and use a VERY heavy crimp regardless of the bullet. I have both pulled and recovered bullets that have been fired and the case mouth has never compromised the plating...

Bob
Hmmm, this is interesting, although the vast majority of my revolver rounds are hard cast with a cannelure, I have used XTP and FTX and crimped very carefully at the serrated "cannelure" from the factory. You are actually mashing a heavy roll crimp on a non recessed part of the bullet?? No plate cutting? Bulging? Anyone else pull this off? I'll try anything once, the plated bullet companies have always warned about breaking through the plate with even taper crimping that is over aggressive. I guess I have never done it for fear of the obvious.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Thanks all for your input.

Here's the status to date:

14.0 grains of AA#9 under Berry's 210 Grain P-FP bullet chronographed 1075 fps average when shot from a 6" barrel S&W Model 57. The load was accurate but the light crimp allowed one round out of 12 tested to move forward.

Next up; 14.2 grains A#9 and a little heavier crimp.

And the "magic" OAL for reliable feeding of Berry's short nose 200 grain P-SWC bullets in my 1911s is 1.220".
DAV Life Member
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM

There ya have it!! The chrono is your friend!! Keep it up, almost there!!
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Hmmm, this is interesting, although the vast majority of my revolver rounds are hard cast with a cannelure, I have used XTP and FTX and crimped very carefully at the serrated "cannelure" from the factory. You are actually mashing a heavy roll crimp on a non recessed part of the bullet?? No plate cutting? Bulging? Anyone else pull this off? I'll try anything once, the plated bullet companies have always warned about breaking through the plate with even taper crimping that is over aggressive. I guess I have never done it for fear of the obvious.
I'm out of town for the rest of the week but when I get home I'll try to post some pictures...
Old Today, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post
I'm out of town for the rest of the week but when I get home I'll try to post some pictures...
That would be great, it would open up several options that I have not considered!