Any love for Tommy guns? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-10-2017, 09:54 AM

Any love for Tommy guns?

Thought ya'll might get a kick out of a late 1800s violin case I French lined and re-enforced to hold my Thompson in when I take it to the range. It's so strong it will hold 25 rounds in the bullet box and 30 rounds in the mag and can be carried that way. The picture in front of the bar was taken before it was finished, that's why it looks different. A simple push of a button and it comes apart another push and a wiggle of the trigger and it comes apart again. The box at one end is for a small parts kit and a copy of my tax stamp. The red piece of red velvet with the gold trim in one photo is to separate the two sides to keep any parts from touching.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160217_175257_761[1].jpg   IMG_20161001_183533_065[1].jpg   IMG_20161001_182504_024[1].jpg   IMG_20130817_130242_613[1].jpg   IMG_20151109_173944_524[2].jpg   IMG_20160217_175240_208[1].jpg  

IMG_20160217_175626_088[1].jpg  

Last edited by tray burge; 03-10-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 PM

That is sooooo sweet! A Tommy gun is on my short list of wants.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:18 PM
1911 Aficionado

I love Thompsons.

I have a couple of books, a 30rd mag, I've rented a few Thompsons in various places over the years, a couple of buddies have semi-auto versions, but the imagining and desiring is a lot more impressive than the reality.

The Thompson is a really big, heavy, clunky beast, and while it's great to imagine gunning-down murderous gangsters, and single-handedly stopping banzai charges, I much prefer the Uzi when it comes to actually shooting a subgun.

Still, a cased Thompson is a real prize.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray burge View Post
Thought ya'll might get a kick out of a late 1800s violin case I French lined and re-enforced to hold my Thompson in when I take it to the range. It's so strong it will hold 25 rounds in the bullet box and 30 rounds in the mag and can be carried that way. The picture in front of the bar was taken before it was finished, that's why it looks different. A simple push of a button and it comes apart another push and a wiggle of the trigger and it comes apart again. The box at one end is for a small parts kit and a copy of my tax stamp. The red piece of red velvet with the gold trim in one photo is to separate the two sides to keep any parts from touching.
Nicely done.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I love Thompsons.

I have a couple of books, a 30rd mag, I've rented a few Thompsons in various places over the years, a couple of buddies have semi-auto versions, but the imagining and desiring is a lot more impressive than the reality.

The Thompson is a really big, heavy, clunky beast, and while it's great to imagine gunning-down murderous gangsters, and single-handedly stopping banzai charges, I much prefer the Uzi when it comes to actually shooting a subgun.

I couldn't imagine having to lug that thing around during WWII, even though they were highly coveted, I believe it's 12lbs. empty, something like that?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:09 PM

Wow, I love it...

Just a thought? Would it fit in the case, if you only removed the rear stock?

Extra cool if you could fire it while the Thompson was still in the case - with the push of a handle mounted button. Staccato.

I wonder if a BAR would fit in a Cello Case?

Thanks for posting, that is an amazing work of fine art.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:15 PM

Love for a Thompson????? What, are you kidding me????

In a word.... Hell, yes! (2 words, but who's really counting?)

Here's my Steel Challenge, pistol-caliber carbine. To me, without a doubt, Thompsons are among the most elegant weapons ever devised. A bit heavy for some, but personally, I love the weight. Ten pounds isn't much in the scheme of things. Accuracy is very, very impressive. Whoever tells you that a Thompson is inaccurate simply hasn't fired one very much. As for recoil, there isn't any - no surprise there. I recently had to modify several mags, so while I was at it, I decided to put in on paper just for grins. Below is the result of that at 18-yards. That's the other things, all of my mags are 70 to 80 years old, and every single one works like a charm. Some don't look so pretty, but boy do they perform. Needless to say, I love Thompsons. Sleek lines, awesome feel, perfect balance, the elegance of wood and steel... good grief, what's not to love? By the way, great job on the case!

The sunlight shows her true colors...

A bygone era, for sure...

Last edited by havanajim; 03-10-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:15 AM

It's the gun I would want in an urban environment, Any war, foreign or domestic. And a 1911 on my belt.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:20 AM

I second what Joe O said.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:26 AM

Beautiful work on the case, I can't imagine a better weapon for clearing a room at close range
Old 03-11-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I love Thompsons.

.... but the imagining and desiring is a lot more impressive than the reality.

I hqve to agree.... the Thompson carries with it a certain image and nostalgia. They're fun to shoot. They have little practical place outside of recreation or amusement, in the modern era.

A 10-12 pound SMG isn't 'a little heavy ' as someone put it; its morbidly obese. Its dual selector switches create a more complex manual of arms. Its open bolt and magazine well design aren't as well suited to hard use and austere environments that other designs.

At the end of the day, its a heavy, large , bulky gun firing a pistol round...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~Samuel Adams~
Old 03-11-2017, 08:00 AM

Yes, I like them (love is a strong word that I reserve for women). Had the pleasure of trying them. But cannot privatly own one im my country.

Impressions:
Hefty piece, that's for sure. Pleasant to shoot(there should be some beneficts on all that weight ). Very cool piece of hardware.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:27 AM

Mister, it looks like some of your folding money is coming unstowed!

Beautiful work on the case!
Old 03-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Love both the Thompson and the the case is really something Tray Burge!

I had the pleasure of shooting an original bring back when I was a teenager. That was a lot of weapon for me at the time. Only one I've ever fired.

A local gun store has a little walk-through museum inside and among other classic weapons, they have both the short and long barrel versions with the stick and drum mags.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:50 AM

When in the Marines a long time ago I was allowed to "fam" fire one. After one magazine I was able to do 3 shot bursts. I soooo wanted to have one as my issue weapon! Didn't happen.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 AM

I got to shoot one in Vegas last fall as part of a WW2 package.

Very enjoyable. But not permitted in Canada unfortunately.

Beautiful case.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 PM

Beautiful Thompson and case.

I had always thought I wanted one, but I picked up a semi-auto version at a gun store once, and found it was the most awkward weapon I'd ever handled. Of course it had the 16" barrel, and no magazine. Maybe a loaded magazine would have helped balance it.

I did have a "Mattel" one when I was a kid. With it, and a "Monkey Division" bazooka, I stopped the Germans COLD in my end of Hanover County, Virginia.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:58 PM

If the NFA repeal bill gets passed a Thompson will be my first purchase
Old 03-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Outstanding work on the case for an American classic.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:40 PM

I think they are neat. Years ago I asked my Grandpa about them, 596th parachute combat engineers WW2, and he said he didnt like them. He preferred the BAR. I think he liked the power of the 30-06. I'd love a thompson though especially one of the SBR models.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:30 PM

Yes,they're heavy, would I want to lug one very far?? No. But a great,fun range gun and lets face it, 50 rounds of .45 ACP in a home defense,hole up in your safe room would be a formidable adversary. I like mine but don't shoot it much, my kids love it.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Administrator

I've wanted a WW2-style Thompson gun since I was a kid. Unfortunately WA flat out forbids full-auto firearms, and only recently did they finally allow SBRs. Someday I might spend the money on a semi-auto Thompson just to scratch that itch, but I have greater priorities at the moment.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:32 PM

Ever since I watched Combat! on TV as a kid I always wanted a Thompson like the one Sergeant Saunders (Vic Morrow) carried.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:39 PM

Being a WWII buff I'd love to have an M1. Beautiful work.
I'm just curious about something though. You say late 1800s case? Wouldn't that case alone if that old be worth quite a bit and if so why not just use a new violin case for your project?
COTEP#782
Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Being a WWII buff I'd love to have an M1. Beautiful work.
I'm just curious about something though. You say late 1800s case? Wouldn't that case alone if that old be worth quite a bit and if so why not just use a new violin case for your project?
No, you can find these cases at antique shops fairly regularly for around $25-50, a new one wouldn't have the right "look", they're plastic. Thanks for all the positive feedback, it always turns a few heads where ever I take it and when somebody asks me if I have a Tommy gun in that violin case, I just grin...