1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:17 PM

The Preppers Will Hate This But

Finally some help for Feral Hogs. If you are having to hunt one to eat make sure the fat is not blue that means they have been eating this posion. New product has just been approved in my state of Texas to kill the horrid beasts! They tear up anything and everything plus breed like rats.

"Miller has approved a rule change in the Texas Administrative Code that classifies a new warfarin-based product as a state-limited-use pesticide for control of feral hogs. State-limited-use pesticides may only be bought and used by a licensed applicator or someone under the direct supervision of a licensed applicator. The pesticide, “Kaput Feral Hog Lure,” is the first toxicant to be listed specifically for use in controlling the feral hog population.

“Wild hogs have caused extensive damage to Texas lands and loss of income for many, many years,” Miller said in a news release. “I am pleased to announce that the ‘feral hog apocalypse' may be within Texans’ reach with the introduction of Kaput’s hog lure.”
Old 02-22-2017, 02:24 PM

I imagine there will be some foul smelling spots where this is deployed. Imagine the stink from a mass die off of hogs?? I suppose it's a small price to pay to be rid of the infestation, but man, that's gotta be pretty unpleasant before it gets better!
Old 02-22-2017, 02:31 PM

If you have a lot of pigs - the dead ones won't be around too long to smell. They eat the dead. The dead of everything. I wonder if one that eats one that died from the pesticide will die too?

Old 02-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
If you have a lot of pigs - the dead ones won't be around too long to smell. They eat the dead. The dead of everything. I wonder if one that eats one that died from the pesticide will die too?
... or birds of prey, or foxes, or other scavengers? It just sounds like a bad idea. Maybe the poison has a short half life and no real worries?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:15 PM

So they're feeding the hogs anticoagulant?

Josh
Old 02-24-2017, 10:45 AM

Yes, the hogs are a problem, but what provisions have been made to insure that other wildlife does not also get poisoned?

The biggest problem we have is the implementation of resolutions to problems without insuring that the solutions do not cause other problems themselves.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:13 AM

What could possibly go wrong....
COTEP #0523
Old 02-24-2017, 12:05 PM

I think that the popular term is unintended consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
Yes, the hogs are a problem, but what provisions have been made to insure that other wildlife does not also get poisoned?

The biggest problem we have is the implementation of resolutions to problems without insuring that the solutions do not cause other problems themselves.
Like the guy that introduced the mongoose to Hawaii to control rats. Or Nutria to Louisiana for furs. The list is endless.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:49 PM

I'm a little stunned a Texan would have allowed this / aren't freaking right out given they've managed to turn the hog infestation into a substantial cash cow industry for many. Having some ranchers who poison that might wander onto the hunting industry ranches and indirectly kill off their "cash crop" / poison their waters I would think would rub Texans the wrong way big time.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:18 PM

A man that I know just paid some pretty serious money to go on a helicopter pig hunt.

Somewhere in Texas.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:25 PM

Why not trap them and send then to the sand box.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Why not trap them and send then to the sand box.
Isn't Texas pretty much a big sand box? Or is that just a dust box? I get confused.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:32 PM

Sorry just didn't see this as a good thing what of other animals getting into the poison or pet's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2017, 04:39 PM

Texas is a very varied state from mountains and desert like country in the far west to plains and farming in the Panhandle to Oak Trees and hills in the Hill Country to thick pine forests in the east to the Gulf Coast and much more. The pigs are common in many places here.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:25 PM

I thought Texicans liked to shoot stuff. Surely that would be better than introducing a poison that surely can't be a good idea?
Old 02-24-2017, 06:56 PM

Texas is huge. I lived in Arlington, and it took me 8 hours to get to South Padre Island. Many different climates and environments. Tons of hogs, and they need controlled. However, some farmers and ranchers whine that the hogs are ruining their land, but when you suggest helping them out by shooting a few, they'll say "ok, that'll be 500 bucks". Not a lot of sympathy on this end. Don't like the poison idea, though
COTEP #0523
Old 02-24-2017, 07:08 PM
Adminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
I thought Texicans liked to shoot stuff. Surely that would be better than introducing a poison that surely can't be a good idea?
There are Texans, and there are people that just live there. Big difference.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:19 PM

I went to the manufacturer's website and took a look at the product label. Under "Environmental Hazards." The label warns that other animals and birds that feed on poisoned carcasses may be poisoned. I really don't like that.

(http://24mg21e5i362midy831oauj8.wpen...25lb-label.pdf)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:32 PM

yeah, they need to shoot this down IMHO
COTEP #0523
Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Banned

Bad idea all around.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:11 PM

From the label it will kill anything that eats the bait or carcass

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2017, 08:21 PM

Australia did this in the 90s. Check it out. It's nasty.... And yes, the meat is contaminated and whomever eats that meat also can die....
Old 02-24-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Texas is huge. I lived in Arlington, and it took me 8 hours to get to South Padre Island. Many different climates and environments. Tons of hogs, and they need controlled. However, some farmers and ranchers whine that the hogs are ruining their land, but when you suggest helping them out by shooting a few, they'll say "ok, that'll be 500 bucks". Not a lot of sympathy on this end. Don't like the poison idea, though
Yep. About 20 years ago now I guess. (Damn, I'm getting old) I worked at a paper that also put out an agricultural paper monthly. They had a few articles then on how much damage the hogs were doing. The farmers were crying all over the place. But just like you said, when you asked about shooting some the response was "How much ya gonna pay me." Pretty much lost sympathy for those guys.

I get being concerned who is shooting on your property and weeding folks out, but to go crying to the gov't about the terrible destruction then turn around and try to make big bucks when someone asks about helping you out. Nah. I think some of those crying were trying to get gov't money or subsidies for their losses.

I'm never keen on poisoning programs. No way to control what eats the bait or what eats the carcass that ate the bait. Not to mention there are plenty of folks who hog hunt and feed the meat to their families. Put a bounty on the danged things and the government can work some deals with ranchers and farmers for some controlled eradication hunts. Get some veterans out there like they do with deer hunts and fishing the big lakes.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-24-2017, 11:41 PM

I will let you know how it goes. Looking into getting the poison now. Our TPW Biologist and it is documented very well btw that feral hogs are the biggest threat to indigenous wildlife there is in Texas

We do not hunt them, we kill them by whatever means necessary period.

It will not be shot down it is already approved. Funny how people who are not land owners and have had property damaged and crops destroyed by these horrid beasts just do not understand what they are -THEY CANNOT BE CONTROLLED.

If it were to harm our wildlife or the food chain (special feeders)it would not have been approved and must be used as directed, it is also controlled not for public use. Jezzz testing has been going on for some time. The TPW folks are a pretty hard core outfit and would not have approved this if it were to do the things as some have pointed out above. Now use it in conflict of the directions who know (kind of like a firearm lol) --it is also dispensed in special feeders.

We will acquire enough of this product to last many years. Still researching the shelf life of this stuff before we do. Can tell you this if the Buzzard population takes a hit because of this then it will be yanked so fast it will make your head spin. The severe problems caused by feral hogs require drastic action.

Last edited by Busa Dave; 02-24-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
However, some farmers and ranchers whine that the hogs are ruining their land, but when you suggest helping them out by shooting a few, they'll say "ok, that'll be 500 bucks". Not a lot of sympathy on this end. Don't like the poison idea, though
You are very ignorant and do not know of what you speak. Typical lease hunter who thinks show up with your 4 wheeler, camo and gun and that is what it is all about. Sorry it is just the truth. The root along hills causing erosion not to mention fields, fences they go through them like they are not there, ruin the water in stock tanks used by cattle, some crops here are not even planted any more because of the feral hog....

"WHINE" Just too ignorant for words...

Last edited by Busa Dave; 02-25-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Closed Thread