Sort of ticked off and feeling cheated by Colt community. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 11:01 AM

Sort of ticked off and feeling cheated by Colt community.

Back when the original Colt Rail Gun came out I was sure that it was my ultimate SHTF pistol. I had to have one no matter what. I went to a gun show and there it was, and it had an unbeatable price on it. I grabbed my stainless government and got a smokin' trade on it. Took it home, ordered a S&a stainless flat steel MSH with the mag well. Put it on and some custom grips and BOOM, ready for the apocalypse !!

Move ahead a bit and the military is shooting one. They aren't testing one and it breaks, they are shooting one until it actually breaks, bolt a specific round test, a we are gonna put how ever many rounds it takes until it breaks. So they have some minor little crack shoes up, beef it up there, throw on some sheet metal screws that look horrible, an ugly coating and there it is, the military version.

Now I feel like everyone with the standard version is looked at like gbey bought a bad gun when it's a hell of a gun and would have served the military just fine with its original frame. It's got a match grade barrel and runs slicker than snot and very accurate. I feel like I got cheated and it's like taking the ugly twin to the dance instead of the beauty she is. The LGS has the Military version right now but I don't know if I see any real advantage of it over the gun I own. Damn! Those grip screws! That color! My gun will serve me as good if not better than that thing. What is the point of buying it other than as a collector piece?

Help me, I'm having a crissis!!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM

Are you being serious? I don't know you so I can't tell.
I also don't know about the specific testing you refer to, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with your gun. Shoot the heck out of it and enjoy it.
Likely you'll never shoot as many rounds to break it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2017, 11:11 AM

I'm not sure what the Colt community has to do you feeling cheated. Maybe you left something out of your story.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Take a deep breath, the sky isn't falling.

There's nothing wrong with the older model rail gun. The newer ones have beefed up rails, but there's no need to have palpitations because the older model isn't beefed up. I'm personally having an older model rail gun just into a $4k+ custom, so don't stress out that your $1,000 production gun isn't up to military par. But if it makes you feel better, I've personally seen an older model rail gun that was at a gunsmith for a new barrel, after having 80,000 rounds out through it, with no cracks.

The fact of the matter is that you will have to put $20,000+ worth of ammo through that gun before you see any issues. If you're looking at it from a SHTF aspect, you're probably looking at the wrong gun in the first place.

As for feeling cheated by the Colt community..... I'm not sure what to tell you about that one, other than suggesting that it maybe time to put the laptop down for a while and just go shoot.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:45 AM

If you can afford enough ammo to break that gun, you can afford a new gun. Not worth worrying about. Your gun is fine.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:23 PM

I'm a fan of the basic Colt Rails...there will be one in my future, for sure. Shoot and enjoy yours.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
.... What is the point of buying it other than as a collector piece?

Well, I don't believe I own a single firearm that I 'needed' to buy for any specific purpose. They've all been purchased because I 'wanted' them for one reason or another. That's the only justification I've ever utilized. Outside of competition, I have no purpose-specific guns. Any one of them can serve in just about any role, within reason. So, all this to say, get it, if you want it - don't worry about a 'reason'.

The chances of you ever needing a SHTF gun are astronomically insignificant. However, if it were to happen, then the gun you have on you at that moment will be your SHTF gun, because, realistically, the odds of you not being home when SHTF event occurs are slightly better than the chances of the SHTF event actually happening. Therefore, unless you go to dinner at a restaurant with your black plastic, rail equipped, light and laser mounted, BUIS & optic outfitted, single-point slung and suppressed SBR concealed inside your pant's leg (which would make sitting down an awesome challenge), then your Commander, LCP, or 938 will be your SHTF gun.

So, buy the Colt, any Colt, all Colts, you don't need a reason or an excuse!!!! :

As far as 'collector value' goes, the thought of my great-grandchild making a profit off of a gun I buy today simply does not factor into my purchase equation. Again, buy what you want and enjoy!

Last edited by havanajim; 02-22-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:38 PM

Did you buy to impress the internet or for your own enjoyment. Enjoy!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:41 PM

SMDH. These... these people. LOL!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:41 PM

I read the OP post twice.. I think he is pulling the forums collective leg lol... Has to be.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:40 PM

Lol, I guess I could have worded that better (colt community wasn't met as a stab at my fine friends here) but it was like the standard Rail Gun feel off the radar and all anyone ever talked about was the military version. You hate to buy something and find out shortly after that maybe if you had waited a bit longer you would have been better off. I love that gun and most of that was tongue in cheek and venting for the sake of being playful. I do want to say thanks for the positive comments on the gun, I know Colt didn't make a self destructing pistol with the original but a lot of things I have read seem to leave that impression.

Maybe looking at the new gun yesterday riled that up in me, maybe I'm struggling internally with buying the gun or not. Maybe I need to send some lead down range with it to remind me just how fantatic that pistol is.

As far as a SHTF gun, I did state it was my pistol, I'm still debating which one of my rifles I would pick. Or shotgun.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:25 PM

Take er easy Johnny Ringo, your old Railgun will always be your Huckleberry.

I recall not too long ago, when Colt didn't even have a Railgun, seems like everyone was making one except for Colt. Then finally, the Colt Railgun appeared and the Railed Ponies have been storming the open range ever since.

Colt has certainly embraced the Railgun madness, to the point where they've released multiple version within the same production year. They all have their own strong points and enough features to appeal to the masses.

If you have 2 nightstands, then you have all the justification you need for another Railgun.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:41 PM
Administrator

If you're unhappy as a Colt owner try being into Glocks. They keep fixing problems with their guns and coming out with upgraded parts, and you have to keep chasing after said parts or sending your gun back to Glock just so that you have the latest components. I think my G19 is a revision 4.1 Service Pack 2 by now. Now I gotta upgrade half the parts and mags for my G42 next...
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:55 PM

Classic early adopter syndrome.

Quote:
Back when the original Colt Rail Gun came out I was sure that it was my ultimate ...
Move ahead a bit and the military is shooting one. ... So they have some minor little crack shoes up, beef it up there, throw on some sheet metal screws that look horrible, an ugly coating and there it is, the military version.

Now I feel like everyone with the standard version is looked at like gbey bought a bad gun
Let me tell you about my TRS-80 Model I: -that-'ll make you feel better.
L -:
Old 02-22-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
I read the OP post twice.. I think he is pulling the forums collective leg lol... Has to be.
I read it over and cannot figure out what the heck he is attempting to say.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
If you're unhappy as a Colt owner try being into Glocks. They keep fixing problems with their guns and coming out with upgraded parts, and you have to keep chasing after said parts or sending your gun back to Glock just so that you have the latest components. I think my G19 is a revision 4.1 Service Pack 2 by now. Now I gotta upgrade half the parts and mags for my G42 next...
No doubt..... I had a first-ish run Glock 19 Gen 4 and it ran like a top. Extremely easy to keep on target and the Brass flew right where it was supposed to. And then the Internet told me it was broken so I "fixed" it with the replacement parts. Then it ran gritty and the Brass was in my face. Four G-19s later and I still haven't found one as good as that first one.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:17 PM

I get it... I bought a car once, and the next year an even BETTER version came out.

Boy, what a sucker I was.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Find the armorer at a GSSF match and they'll update it for you. For free.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:26 PM

We all would like to apologize for the denigration heaped on your old, out dated model. As recognition of this fact, we will wave the Gun Disposal Fee and allow you to send the firearm to a nearby member for disposal without charging you!

This is a limited time offer.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromohio View Post
No doubt..... I had a first-ish run Glock 19 Gen 4 and it ran like a top. Extremely easy to keep on target and the Brass flew right where it was supposed to. And then the Internet told me it was broken so I "fixed" it with the replacement parts. Then it ran gritty and the Brass was in my face. Four G-19s later and I still haven't found one as good as that first one.
I had the exact same experience. I bought the upgrade parts and put them in myself, and immediately got erratic ejection and brass to the face. Put the old parts back in and it worked fine again. Later Glock must have figured out that the extractor was causing the issues, and when they upgraded that (and I replaced mine as well) I was able to put the new parts back in and it ran fine.

As for Colts, it seems the older model is always better. I don't like the new way of laser-etching the serial numbers on the frames and prefer the old roll-stamped guns. It's okay on a new Competition gun but it looks odd as Hell on a classic Series 70.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:17 PM

While I have several Glocks, I would never buy a new one. I really resent how they use their customers as beta testers. If they can't put out a product that works right off the bat they have not done their research nor due diligence to their customers.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 PM

I buy old guns. I do not really compare them to new guns. All of my guns are SHTF guns, depending on when the world breaks down, and which one I have on me at the time. I enjoy them all. I do not like rails; I'm more of a traditionalist. I sympathize with the OP, though, and think he should buy the new one as a back up to his earlier version.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:

yea?
but did you get a plastic bag?

..L.T.A.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
yea?
but did you get a plastic bag?

..L.T.A.
Good one!!!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:14 PM

I always thought that if you liked your gun you should keep it. If you don't, get a different gun.