Purpose of S&W lightening cuts - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-25-2016, 02:02 PM

Purpose of S&W lightening cuts

Finally figured out the main purpose of the slide cuts done by PC. You can lubricate the lugs without taking the slide off!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:51 AM

I'm thinking lightening cuts are for, lightening the slide and as a result the gun. How do you like the PC ?. I have the older version, the SC thinking on the PC because the L cuts hence lighter gun all together.

Last edited by ca survivor; 12-28-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:18 PM

I thought it was to make them stand out in a display case full of 1911s. They are a nice pistol although some of my friends hate the look.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:19 PM

I guess they should call them multi-purpose cuts
Old 12-30-2016, 04:56 PM

They help to offset the added weight of the upgraded parts.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
I thought it was to make them stand out in a display case full of 1911s. They are a nice pistol although some of my friends hate the look.

my LGS had one like your 4.25" and every time I walked in the will go, look what we got for you, finally some one else bought it, I have an early SC, no reason for me to have this model unless I wanted the round but.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:53 AM

For a pistol with so little mass ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
I'm thinking lightening cuts are for, lightening the slide and as a result the gun. How do you like the PC ?. I have the older version, the SC thinking on the PC because the L cuts hence lighter gun all together.
... it deals out surprisingly little felt recoil. The reduction of mass due to the lightening/lightning cuts doesn't -seem- as though it would be enough to explain the reduced felt recoil; but must certainly contribute. My intuition is that the reduced mass of the Al-Sc alloy frame would increase felt recoil more than lightning cuts could reduce it. Perhaps it's all placebo effect. Do love me some S&W.

And lightning cuts reduce cycle-time and/or allow a "lighter" spring: any given spring puts out the ~same energy each cycle; less mass means the slide accelerates/moves faster at any given energy.

Last edited by tgt_usa; 03-10-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 AM

They can ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
... some of my friends hate the look.
... cure that now. ;- j
Old 03-20-2017, 01:41 PM

They're for air cooling............ gunfan111 - think you used enough oil on there???? Good Golly Miss Molly! I would bet your gun leaves a puddle when you lay it down. Are you a Harley owner? (just teasing ya)

Last edited by drail; 03-20-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
They're for air cooling............ gunfan111 - think you used enough oil on there???? Good Golly Miss Molly! I would bet your gun leaves a puddle when you lay it down. Are you a Harley owner? (just teasing ya)

Haha! No worries, I ordered a custom holster with a drip pan
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM

I don't think the S&W specs show any difference in weight for the models without the cuts versus those PC models with the cuts. Is that correct? I just picked up a 4.25 inch PC model but haven't had a chance to fire it yet.