What's your favorite BHP trigger? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-18-2020, 03:22 AM

What's your favorite BHP trigger?

I"m a newer member and searched but didn't find a recent thread on the subject.
I'm in the process of doing some light 'smithing on an FEG PJK-9HP I picked up years ago and was wondering which trigger (aftermarket or tuned factory) do most of you prefer?
I've tried the C&S trigger in a MKIII I have and ended up going back to the factory trigger. The C&S simply had too much curve for me and my trigger finger always caught the sharp edge on the bottom. Am I the anomaly here or do other's agree?
I'm considering the Garthwaite competition trigger but have not had a chance to try one yet. What are people's impression of the quality, shape, and design?
Are there any other aftermarket BHP triggers out there I might have missed and should consider?
Thanks for any insight and opinions you can offer on the subject.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:50 AM

Garthwaite and don’t look back. This is the only after market trigger I use now outside of the one on my Yost. I have C&S on a few guns and don’t need to replace them but any new build would use a Garthwaite.

They are of the highest quality and the flat face offers a better leverage point for me.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:58 AM

Plus one on the Garthwaite trigger. It only is it flatter but it has a tunable trigger over travel stop. This takes some fitting, not difficult but time consuming. Well worth the effort however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2020, 01:31 PM

OEM, with magazine safety removed and a BH Spring Solutions systemic total re-springing. I have a Mk III cast frame, so the newest 2-coil trigger return spring is the ideal one to use.

Best, Jon
Old 06-18-2020, 05:39 PM

the one that makes it go bang!!!

I really prefer the stock one.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:46 PM

I'm using the stock trigger in my FEG Hi Power with the mag disconnect removed. I've replaced the springs with a set of Wilson Combat springs. Trigger feels great and she runs fine.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
Garthwaite and don’t look back. This is the only after market trigger I use now outside of the one on my Yost. I have C&S on a few guns and don’t need to replace them but any new build would use a Garthwaite.

They are of the highest quality and the flat face offers a better leverage point for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomgetch View Post
Plus one on the Garthwaite trigger. It only is it flatter but it has a tunable trigger over travel stop. This takes some fitting, not difficult but time consuming. Well worth the effort however.
Thanks for the replies gentlemen!
I think I'll order a Garthwaite trigger and try to sell the C&S trigger that doesn't suit me.
I wish his website had a better description of the features on his trigger...I didn't even realize it had an over travel adjustment feature.
I'm planning on pairing it with a matched C&S chamfered no bite hammer and sear set.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:39 AM

+1 for Garthwaite. It is the only aftermarket trigger I use now.

Old Army Customs
Old 06-20-2020, 08:36 AM

I like the Mk. III "wide" trigger in my Mk. II.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:30 AM

Many Fegs are known to have one of the nicest trigger pulls of all the Hi Powers - including FN. I own a SA 80 Mauser marked FEG HP + a Tisas, Both with mag safety removed & they are both excellent. I wouldn't want any lighter pull.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:16 PM

I've never been especially dis-satisfied with the original H-P trigger....but on the occasions that I've shot one retrofitted with a Garthwaite Straight Trigger-- https://garthwaite.myshopify.com/collections/parts --I've like the feel of it a LOT !!
Old 06-20-2020, 10:39 PM

+1 on Garthwaite's trigger. Too bad he doesn't sell his extended safety direct.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:33 PM

I took a look at that trigger, but there is only the one picture and angle.

Didn't look flat/straight to me - anyone have better angles of it?
Old 06-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longarm View Post
I took a look at that trigger, but there is only the one picture and angle.

Didn't look flat/straight to me - anyone have better angles of it?

Old 06-21-2020, 10:46 AM

thanks!
Old 06-21-2020, 11:59 AM

The Garthwaite Straight Trigger is not entirely straight. The arc of the trigger's curve has simply been '..flattened..' somewhat.

Bear in mind when ordering that there are two(2) variation of the same '..straightened/fllatened trigger: One (Carry/Duty model) allows for the re-instalation of the Magazine Disconnect assembly....and the second (Competition model) does NOT allow for reinstalling the Magazine Disconnect. Otherwise the two(2) models are the same.

https://garthwaite.myshopify.com/collections/parts
Old 06-21-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthogge View Post
+1 on Garthwaite's trigger. Too bad he doesn't sell his extended safety direct.
They are a thing of beauty.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKSAIL View Post
The Garthwaite Straight Trigger is not entirely straight. The arc of the trigger's curve has simply been '..flattened..' somewhat.

Bear in mind when ordering that there are two(2) variation of the same '..straightened/fllatened trigger: One (Carry/Duty model) allows for the re-instalation of the Magazine Disconnect assembly....and the second (Competition model) does NOT allow for reinstalling the Magazine Disconnect. Otherwise the two(2) models are the same.

https://garthwaite.myshopify.com/collections/parts
Thanks for the good advice!
I immediately remove all my mag disconnect assemblies so I plan to go with the competition model.
I'll be giving him a call tomorrow to discuss my options.
His Browning HP Tool Steel Undercut Hammer, Sear, Trigger kit for $174.95 looks good and may be the most affordable option.
I just want to confirm that I can get the trigger with a black finish as the pic shows it unfinished.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
They are a thing of beauty.

That's a good looking and well designed safety.
Does he do an ambidextrous version as well?
Old 06-22-2020, 02:56 PM

Just had a nice conversation with Jim and ordered one of his trigger, hammer, and sear kits.
I wanted a fairly traditional looking hammer for this pistol and I think Jim's modified commander hammer should fit the bill.
Looking forward to fitting and installing this setup in my FEG and seeing how it looks and feels.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPforme View Post
Just had a nice conversation with Jim and ordered one of his trigger, hammer, and sear kits.
I wanted a fairly traditional looking hammer for this pistol and I think Jim's modified commander hammer should fit the bill.
Looking forward to fitting and installing this setup in my FEG and seeing how it looks and feels.
Awesome choice. Mr. Garthwaite is good guy. He did a great job on my MKIII build. I would love to take his 1911 build class one day.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:29 AM

I agree that Mr. Garthwaite is very nice. I am fortunate to live only about 40 minutes away from him and can physically drop off work for him. He treats you like family. He gave me a tour of his shop the last time I was there. He installed his hammer and trigger on my BHP 40 over a decade ago. I’ve been very happy with it. I recently bought a surplus FN HP that I’m thinking of having Jim work his magic on.
Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Awesome choice. Mr. Garthwaite is good guy. He did a great job on my MKIII build. I would love to take his 1911 build class one day.
You'll be a happy camper. Please send us pics when it is done.

Scott

Old Army Customs
Old 06-29-2020, 10:55 PM

Yep, you’ll be happy. I like both my C&S and Factory triggers, but I love my Garthwaite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk