1911Forum banner

Patrol Offier access to CCW Permit information

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Corrigun 
#1 · (Edited)
Patrol Officer access to CCW Permit information

Another thread got me thinking about this subject. So it occurred to me to ask the LEO community here, to provide some insight about what they (LEO) may or may not know about the Person who is the registered owner of the car they are pulling over.

When you pull over a Vehicle, I am sure you run the tag number. What type of data other than registration and Motor Vehicle records do you get?

Do you know if the registered Owner has a CCW Permit?

What State ?

If you do know the Owner is a CCW holder, does that change how you plan to deal with the Occupant?

If you see a NRA sticker on the Vehicle, or any other Pro Gun, Pro 2A , stickers does that change how you plan to approach and deal with the Occupant(s)?

#2 ·
What I see based on plate information is registration info and lien holder info if there is any. I won't know if the driver has a license to carry unless I run their personal information. It's not attached to the car.
I treat every driver the same with respect and always expect them to have a gun and ready to shoot. That way it keeps me on my toes in the event something goes wrong. The majority of my stops are fast. They average about 5 mins.

#3 · (Edited)
Actually, unless the individual is wanted, it's no ones business. I always assumed everyone was armed. The only info I would get was DL and vehicle info, and if the individual was wanted and maybe his past criminal or adverse driving info. Oh yeah, in my state it isn't available on traffic or other stops. If he is carrying, he must state so.

#6 ·
When i run a tag, i get vehicle information and the the driver's license information for the registered owner. A ccw query is also done for the registered owner of the vehicle who may/may not be driving it. Any time i run a driver's license, a query for a ccw is also done.

#7 ·
No LEO here.

But my understanding is that here in VA. It shows up if you have a carry permit when they run your tag. I have no beef with this. But if someone else is driving your vehicle?

#8 ·
But my understanding is that here in VA. It shows up if you have a carry permit when they run your tag. I have no beef with this. But if someone else is driving your vehicle?
You're correct; when I run a tag in Virginia and the registered owner of the vehicle has a permit, the NCIC/VCIN return states that.

If someone other than the registered owner is driving the vehicle, I will not know if that person has a permit until I run their particular O/L.

#10 · (Edited)
In my part of the country, carry permits are unobtainum. Maybe just a handful per county.

Years ago, I stopped a driver for an infraction and noticed that he had a holster lying on the back seat. I asked the guy if there were any weapons in his car, and his reply was no, there weren't any weapons in his car, but that he did have a state carry permit, because he owned a jewelry store.

I asked the driver if I could please see his permit. He politely asked my why, since he wasn't carrying at the time. So, I was upfront and explained that neither myself nor my trainee had never even seen one before, and it would be nice to know what one really looked like!
He was most helpful, and pointed out the various features to look for on the permit, along with some features that would indicate that the card was not legit. Really nice guy.

Of course, he didn't get a ticket, and I ran into him numerous times thereafter, especially at the range. I always made it a point to thank him again for the midnight roadside training session. :rock:

#11 · (Edited)
when you pull over a vehicle, i am sure you run the tag number. What type of data other than registration and motor vehicle records do you get?
*Outstanding arrest warrant?
*Active civil protection order?
*If on parole from prison
*On terrorist watch list?
*Ol status.

do you know if the registered owner has a ccw permit? Yes

what state ? Ohio

if you do know the owner is a ccw holder, does that change how you plan to deal with the occupant? Yes, i tend to lenient towards lawful ccwer.

if you see a nra sticker on the vehicle, or any other pro gun, pro 2a , stickers does that change how you plan to approach and deal with the occupant(s)?
No, as i always assume the motorist is armed

#12 ·
In Oregon the plate is linked the RO's DL number. If they have a CHL it comes up when checking for wants and driving status.

The thing is everyone east of the Cascades is armed and we are an open carry state. As long as the firearm is not concealed it's legal to be loaded even in a vehicle. The valley might not like that fact.

#13 ·
We don't get CCW info in plate responses in NYS
Twenty years ago with our old computer system we could pull up permit information on local county residents as a separate inquiry, but not anymore.
I'm in a rural area so NRA stickers and that sort of thing are pretty common and don't elicit any sort of additional actions from any of us that I am aware of.

#14 ·
In my State a drivers license is issued by the State. A carry permit is issued by the City/Town. The two do not share information and pistol permit records at the City/Town level are not databased. An actual person would have to go and physically look for the record wherever they are kept in a given City/Town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.