1911Forum banner

Ronin Operator build quality

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  7in1911 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
For those of you who have both, how does the Ronin compare build wise to an MC Operator for example?

#2 · (Edited)
I have both the Ronin and the Loaded Black Operator (model number: PX9105LLP). The operator is a 2016 or 17 model and was purchased 'brand spanking used' at $995. The Ronin is a 2020 modeland was purchased new in box at $699.

These guns serve different purposes for me. The Ronin is a range gun and occasional daytime conceal carry. The operator is a night stand gun with a Streamlight TLR-1 weapon light always onboard. If you do not need a light rail I and if budget is an issue, I would go with the Ronin all day long and not look back. At its price point it is a high value pistol. For me, it is ever so slightly more accurate than my operator also.

I'd give the frame / slide fits an equal mark on both guns. My operator model has an armory kote / cerakote type finish. Which I'm sure is more durable. The frame and slide are forged on the Ronin and in my opinion are very good parts. The Trijicon night sights that come stock on the operator are more expensive than the fiber optic sights that come stock on the Ronin. In the daytime the stock Ronin fiber optic sight is fantastic. My operator came stock with an ambidextrous safety. That may be an issue, or a crucial factor for you. My model Operator also has an extended bevel magazine well - which for me greatly assists reloading the pistol especially in the dark. So when you add up some of the extra features on the operator you can see where the extra $296 went.

I like the looks of the Ronin better than the Operator. I prefer shooting the Ronin at the Range more than the Operator. If someone were busting into my house in the middle of the night in the dark, the Ronin would suck compared to the Operator. I think the first question you need to answer is what is the intended purpose for your 1911 purchase.

Your mileage may vary.

#7 ·
7in1911. My point was that in the night in dark conditions the stock Ronin Operator would not be as well equipped as the Loaded Black Operator with a weapon light and tritium night sights.

Why should you not use leather holsters with a Fiber Optic front sight? I usually use kydex but do have one leather holster I use with the Ronin.

#11 ·
The FO front sight is usually just a rod help in place on both ends or underneath for support.

In a leather holster, the rod will scarf and rub on the leather, wearing the rod down or breaking it completely...I've seen it happen.

I've seen some FO front sights that are in a capsule like and would probably hold up better.

#10 ·
I think the Ronin in 9mm would be fantastic. In fact if I see one in 9mm I am going to buy it. There was a 9mm at a different local store than where I bought the .45 ACP copy. It was listed at the full MSRP of $849. I opted for the .45 because of the price difference. And I have a ton of projectiles and reloading components for the .45 ACP. However, I would love to shoot this gun in 9mm as well. Now I want both:rock: Of course when I went back to the store that had it in 9mm it was sold!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.