Is the AL. ALR discontinued? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 PM

Is the AL. ALR discontinued?

I was at my lgs today and the guy tried ordering a pt1911 ALR, the distributor told him that they have been discontinued due to flaws with the AL frames.

I started looking it up and noticed a few posts about it. I have an ALR and never had a problem. If I do have a problem, will Taurus replace it with something else?

I am a little disappointed but I figured maybe mine will be worth more in the long run.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 PM

What flaws ? Is there a recall ? I have an alr also the grey/blue one.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 PM

No recall I just heard they stopped producing them.
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Banned

The only flaw I could think of in the public realm applies to all aluminum frames not just Taurus. A certain brand and style of magazine is known for damaging the frame in the ramp area. Since Taurus has no control over what mags folks use, they may just be opting out of aluminum frame 1911 pistols.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 AM

But the magazine Taurus supplies with all PT1911s is the kind that cannot damage the feed ramp - it's the same as the ACT-MAG 8-rd. I hope they haven't stopped making the AR series - I've been wanting an aluminum-frame rail gun.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 AM

Just got off the phone with Taurus; they say the aluminum frames are still in production, 'but are not being sold as much', whatever that means. He also said they can still be ordered. I would interpret that to mean Taurus is shipping the AL and AR mainly by specific order, for whatever reason.
As to 'problems' with any aluminum frame pistol, I treat them special - very limited shooting. The idea of the alloy frame is simply a lighter pistol. If you want the durability of steel, then get steel.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
But the magazine Taurus supplies with all PT1911s is the kind that cannot damage the feed ramp - it's the same as the ACT-MAG 8-rd. I hope they haven't stopped making the AR series - I've been wanting an aluminum-frame rail gun.
If I had known you were gonna call, I would have liked for you to ask about the mags. Since act mags are made in Italy and Taurus mags are made in Brazil, what is identical other than the witness hole pattern?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM

Why should I have asked about something so obvious? Perhaps some background on Taurus is called-for. You see, Taurus makes each and every part of every gun. If it has 'Heinie' sights, for example, Taurus makes them under license. The PT1911 magazines are identical to the ACT-MAG but made by Taurus. I don't know or care about what kind of arrangement they may or may not have with ACT-MAG, but the Taurus mags are marked 'Made In Brazil'.