seeking help / adjusting sights pt1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 PM

seeking help / adjusting sights pt1911

Had my pt1911 for a few weeks now. Fired about 175 rounds.

I will put a few more magazines through it to be sure, but I'm fairly certain the rear sight needs a little adjusting. My groupings are lower left, and when I compensate by aiming up and to the right they're on target. I'm not ruling out the possibility it could be me... but if it does come to it, what's the process for adjusting the sight/what tool is needed? I have read the manual cover to cover and this is not explained.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 PM

Low left is probably you,shoot from sandbags to confirm.Slowly squeeze trigger for a surprise break,also have other known good marksmen shoot it.Also try different ammo,all ammo does not shoot same POA.COLD.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 PM

The rear site or front sight can be drifted for left right. There is a small set screw on the rear sight that needs to be loosened. To move the impact up you need to lower the front sight or raise the rear site. You can file down the front sight or buy a adjustble rear sight from novak or you can buy a lower front sight from dawson or others. Or you can send it back to Taurus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 04:14 AM

I would call Taurus and tell them you are firing low, they may just send you a lower front sight. I know Remington did that for me. Brought my point of aim up to where it is perfect now. I too had to drift my Taurus front sight to the left just a hair to get it right. It was shooting just a hair to the left also. Seems like this is a common problem with the Taurus.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:28 PM

Low left typically means you are jerking the trigger. To see if you are actually jerking the trigger, have someone load a mag for you and slip in a snap cap. When you pull the trigger on the snap cap, my guess is that you will see the front sights dip a tad bit low left. This is probably more normal that most would care to admit. I do it. The best way Iíve found to help with this is lots of dry firing at a blank wall at home. Try it with a coin balanced on the front site. It should not move when you pull the trigger. Do it with eyes open and eyes closed so that you get a good feel for when the trigger is going to break. When a round goes off with good trigger control, it should almost be a surprise.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar1 View Post
Low left typically means you are jerking the trigger. To see if you are actually jerking the trigger, have someone load a mag for you and slip in a snap cap. When you pull the trigger on the snap cap, my guess is that you will see the front sights dip a tad bit low left. This is probably more normal that most would care to admit. I do it. The best way Iíve found to help with this is lots of dry firing at a blank wall at home. Try it with a coin balanced on the front site. It should not move when you pull the trigger. Do it with eyes open and eyes closed so that you get a good feel for when the trigger is going to break. When a round goes off with good trigger control, it should almost be a surprise.
This and the other statements to that effect are true. I thought my little Kel Tec was shooting way low-left for some time, and I bought a set of various sights from Kel Tec to make the elevation correction. I never did the work on it, and when one of my sons shot it, darned if he didn't shoot it straight! Since then, I refined my technique on it and have corrected myself.
The Taurus sights can easily be drifted/adjusted to correct windage if that is still needed. Both front and rear are in dovetails and the rear has a set screw as explained above. Bear in mind that the rear sight follows the direction you want the shot to move, and the front sight goes opposite. That's why you want a lower front sight if you're shooting low. You also need to know that the sight heights on the factory pistol were designed by calculation to zero at a certain range. Since all bullets follow a ballistic trajectory, its not possible for the pistol to be zeroed at all ranges - the arc of the trajectory usually crosses the line of sight at the near zero and far zero, also known as the 'point-blank' ranges, and will be over or under the line of sight at all other ranges.
Its much more likely that one or both sights may need a windage correction than an elevation correction, considering that the sight heights were designed. The factory windage adjustments may have been hasty, but it is certain that they were done to suit a different shooter than you.
Once you understand the designed trajectory, you use 'hold over' or 'hold under' to correct for various ranges. Even with fully-adjustable rear sights, you have to do the same, because it can only be set for one trajectory at a time. But realistically, shooting a pistol is hardly ever that precise. The major thing to know is, at what range do you expect to hit the point-of-aim?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:22 PM

The sight image #3 is the correct sight picture for the PT1911 with Novak's, good up to 25 yards any longer and you loose your target (combat sights) behind the dot.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun