Bond Arms derringer. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 12:08 PM

Anyone have one, use one, how do you like them? I just saw one of the new less expensive ones in our LGS. They are $300 & a bit less now. Same quality with less final finish & polish.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:21 PM

I don't own one but I have shot a few. If I was in the market for a derringer,Bond Arms would be the one I would get based on personal experience.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:50 PM

Not really a fan of the derringers, but Bond Arms gets pretty good reviews. I've shot a 9mm two-barrel and can't say it was a very pleasant range novelty gun. lol

For SD use? nope, not practical IMHO.

But for snicks & giggles? Sure, why not?

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2019, 01:29 PM

2 shot 9mm that weighs more than my LC9
Nicely made but no thanks
Old 12-12-2019, 02:49 PM

I have one with the 410/45 long Colt barrel. It is rather heavy and extremely loud. I thought it might be good to use as a snake gun when I am out in the woods but not so much. It's a rather impractical pistol for most purposes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2019, 02:55 PM

This is a pic of mine.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:14 PM

I'd wager that it might be a useful accoutrament for the well-equipped professional at the card table

The one thing in hand to best a Royal Flush.

At least in the "Old West".

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-12-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thig View Post
I have one with the 410/45 long Colt barrel. It is rather heavy and extremely loud. I thought it might be good to use as a snake gun when I am out in the woods but not so much. It's a rather impractical pistol for most purposes.

As a snake gun, I think they are perfect. I took out a cotton mouth sitting on my front porch with a NAA mini-revolver chambered in .22 magnum and loaded with CCI Shot Shell. It did the job with one shot to the head.

But nowadays, the bad guys are running around with stolen Glock 17's with 18 rounds. Even when I go out with my favorite J-Frame, I feel under-gunned with 5 rounds or even with 8 rounds in my P938. I would feel 'naked' with just 2 rounds.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:58 PM

The Remington double derringer was first released in 1865 and a great design at the time because of its size compared to everything else out there. However, the .41 Rimfire cartridge is woefully weak. I've seen videos where it wouldn't penetrate a 3/4-inch piece of plywood. But it was better than nothing, with the only really small guns back then being .22 caliber.

The Bond would probably fun to play with at first, but then the novelty will wear off and you're stuck with a specialty firearm that will probably be tough to sell. Also, the hinge was the weak point with the original Remington, with lots of cracks being encountered. I don't know if that's an issue with the Bond, but it would be worth researching given the high pressure rounds it gets chambered for.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboss1 View Post
The Remington double derringer was first released in 1865 and a great design at the time because of its size compared to everything else out there. However, the .41 Rimfire cartridge is woefully weak. I've seen videos where it wouldn't penetrate a 3/4-inch piece of plywood. But it was better than nothing, with the only really small guns back then being .22 caliber.

The Bond would probably fun to play with at first, but then the novelty will wear off and you're stuck with a specialty firearm that will probably be tough to sell. Also, the hinge was the weak point with the original Remington, with lots of cracks being encountered. I don't know if that's an issue with the Bond, but it would be worth researching given the high pressure rounds it gets chambered for.
I agree with you on the novelty factor. I bought a taurus judge and it was fun for about the first hour then it was why did I buy this? Sold it and never looked back.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:39 PM

The US military, during WW2, made a throw away .45 acp gun call the Liberator. They were passed out to resistance fighters and mostly used for very very close "wet work," like putting it up to a Nazi's head, pull the trigger, drop the gun and walk away. These were very cheap, made almost entirely from stamped metal...and they were dropped by the many thousands...a cheap way to get a simple assassin's tool and some bullets into people's hands. In war, all weapons are disposable.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnireland View Post
The US military, during WW2, made a throw away .45 acp gun call the Liberator. They were passed out to resistance fighters and mostly used for very very close "wet work," like putting it up to a Nazi's head, pull the trigger, drop the gun and walk away. These were very cheap, made almost entirely from stamped metal...and they were dropped by the many thousands...a cheap way to get a simple assassin's tool and some bullets into people's hands. In war, all weapons are disposable.
Interesting, not sure how it relates to a $500 MSRP derringer that's built like a tank. Other than neither are probably very useful.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:31 PM

If anyone has seen a FPS measurement of a birdshot load through this let me know. But I'm guessing it will be under 600.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:41 PM

(Re preceding Liberator discussion)

Both strictly very close quarters use against an unsuspecting target.

The Liberator was one of the ugliest guns ever made. If it had been functionally good for combat, the ugly factor could, of course, been forgiven. But alas it scored well only in the realm of being really, really cheap.

The French Resistance fighters, as well as Dutch, Belgian, and others generally did what they could with very limited means ... and with huge risk of death hanging over their heads every day. Difficult to measure their contribution to final victory, but their courage was considerable. I'd speculate -- just a guess, nothing more -- that some Liberators were carried, in part, so as to allow the carrier an option of suicide (including via aiming a Liberator at a Nazi) over capture and certain torture.

The Bond Arms derringer is at least a well-made example of a derringer. It is what it purports to be.

Awareness of the huge diversity of firearm designs over history gives one a greater appreciation of what is currently available.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-12-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thig View Post
This is a pic of mine.

How do you like it & does it actually get use? I've thought about one for hip pocket carry in snake country with the .410.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
How do you like it & does it actually get use? I've thought about one for hip pocket carry in snake country with the .410.
I would not buy again, there is only about a half inch of barrel beyond the end of the 410 shell so there is not much distance to the shot. I bought some shorter shells but haven't tried those yet. It is also very heavy. I think you could probably get a much lighter pistol that would do a better job for less money.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:19 PM

Facing those .410 holes would sure be depressing for a would-be carjacker
Old 12-12-2019, 10:09 PM

As an idiot kid, I used to tape ball bearings to the base of 12 Ga shells. Then taped a two foot string to the flank of the shell.

I'd hold the end of the string & spin the shell in a fast circle then let go. Sending the whole thing skyward. It would fall, butt first, trailing the string behind. It would hit the pavement and POW!

Afterwards the wad would flutter down and there would be a rain of birdshot. Good times. Then once I had a buddy try. He was very scared. He spun it with eyes closed, way too low. It hit the street , went off, and sprayed him up the leg.

His reaction to "getting shot" was worthy of an Oscar. He was SO gonna die or at least lose his leg. Turns out there was no visible damage on him, or his jeans.

I think of that when I see these .410 derringers. I think the only way to give them decent power would be to load your own ammo with powder suitable for a very short barrel.

Because otherwise I think your powder will still be burning long after the pellets have left the building.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:21 PM

Magazineman I do know one thing, it is extremely loud because all that powder and blast is right there at arms length.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 PM

^^^

MM, sounds like you were an innovative inventor, or at least so inclined, from Day One.

Good story.

+1911

Old 12-12-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post

Because otherwise I think your powder will still be burning long after the pellets have left the building.
Well, you can perforate your assailant with birdshot, then cauterize the wound with the fireball.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:12 AM

A friend of mine had a similar derringer made by "American Derringer Company" ,his was chambered in 45acp seemed to be nicely made but I don't know if theyare still available .
Old 12-13-2019, 10:04 AM

In cars I'm all about the Power-To-Weight ratio. Actually, more like OBSESSED with it.

I've gone to great lengths to shave a few pounds off or to bump up power, even slightly.

5.7 Lbs per HP is a fabulous ratio! But on guns, no thanks! I've fired big rounds from light guns and I definitely DO NOT enjoy it.

Gimme heavier gun to absorb the power. I don't wanna take that beating.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:45 AM

I wouldnt use any pistol that has to be cocked before firing for self defense. Just my $.02
Old 12-13-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
As an idiot kid, I used to tape ball bearings to the base of 12 Ga shells. Then taped a two foot string to the flank of the shell.

I'd hold the end of the string & spin the shell in a fast circle then let go. Sending the whole thing skyward. It would fall, butt first, trailing the string behind. It would hit the pavement and POW!

Afterwards the wad would flutter down and there would be a rain of birdshot. Good times. Then once I had a buddy try. He was very scared. He spun it with eyes closed, way too low. It hit the street , went off, and sprayed him up the leg.

His reaction to "getting shot" was worthy of an Oscar. He was SO gonna die or at least lose his leg. Turns out there was no visible damage on him, or his jeans.
MM, sometimes I think , what the heck is he talking about....

This time, sounds like something I would’ve tried in my younger days, had I thought of it ..