1911Forum banner

A Question on Background Checks on Personal Transfers

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Combat Diver 
#1 ·
If laws were passed forcing all gun transfers (long guns and handguns) between two individuals (no FFL involved) to require a NICS check of the buyer before transfer; how exactly would this work?

Here in NY, this is the law for all long gun transfers except between blood related family members. Handguns require FFL since they go on your permit. You have to go to an FFL, fill out the forms, etc. Then the FFL keeps the form until hell freezes over. Interesting to note, the buyer and seller do not get a copy of the form.

If this became the way all transfers had to be done (including family members), would that mean all transfer would require to use an FFL? Would individuals be allowed to do the background checks themselves? Right now, if someone wanted to sell a gun but wanted to check the person was legally allowed to own the gun, they have no way (except thru an FFL) to verify that the buyer is legal. Would the buyer/seller get copies of the form?

#7 ·
The only way I sell a gun to a family member is through my ffl dealer to be safe. I’m not taking any chances with family members.

#10 ·
In NC, you can have a Pistol Purchase Permit from the Sheriff where a NCIS was run at the time of issue. Its good for 5 yrs and cost $5. Sheriff can issue them out to those 18-20 yo for a private handgun purchase. The NC Concealed Weapons Permit also has a background check run on the owner. ATF has stipulated that a PPP/CHP can be used in lieu of a FFL running a NCIS check. Also if you have a any of the ten types of FFLs you can by pass the NCIS in accordance with the FFL.

CD

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.