1911Forum banner

Considering a Taurus 1911

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Kodadek 
#1 ·
I'm considering a Taurus 1911 after weighing my options and my budget (going to college and considering law enforcement) for a CCW. I currently have an RIA GI and a S&W Service 6 but I'd like a supped up 1911 as a carry piece...

I considered a Para or Kimber but due to budgetary constraints they're a bit out of my current league (I'm buying an 86 Bronco next month and starting a restomod on a 2 door 67 Impala this summer) I've talked to a few folks who've owned the Taurus, I got to shoot one last week and I was fairly impressed with the handling and accuracy, I've researched a few articles but I trust your average gun rag about as far as one can throw them into hurricane force winds and I understand that a six hundred gun with that many features can't be flaw free.

My local shop can get me one for about 615 and they'll give me 375 in trade on a rifle I never shoot but before I put cash on the counter I'd like to hear about trials and tribulations from the weapon from people who do some serious shooting. I use Kimpro mags and I plan on eventually having the safety replaced with a right hand safety as I've never been a fan of ambi-safeties? The people I know that own them are plinkers who run factory ammo but I wonder about their reliability with reloads, I usually run 230 GR Hornady XTP's that I load myself and after light work on my RIA and new Wolff springs they feed beautifully in that gun.

My other option is a Springfield Mil-Spec or RIA tactical, I would love the Taurus with tritium sights however if the gun lives up to a quarter of the hype.

See less See more
#5 ·
Simply put I have not seen a Commander sized model within my price range that I like, nor am I overly concerned with the issue of weight. If the eighty-one year old retired Sheriff next door to my father can carry a full sized Korean War vintage 1911A1 concealed (he carried it the length of his career on and off duty) then I think I can manage just fine.

If there were commander length options with good sights in my price range I'd happily consider them.

#3 ·
my wife has a pt1911. it goes bang every time but that is about all the praise I can give it. i am actually getting ready to sell it and buy her a dan wesson cco. my opinion of her taurus is that it isn't all that accurate(my GI was way more accurate) and the finish is so thin I can see through it on a sunny day. but if your on a budget and you can't save a little more than it is better than no 1911.

#8 ·
i have a stainless taurus pt-1911. very reliable and accurate, all the bells and whistles. not sure i would want to carry it during the hot months but that would be true of any full size 1911. i have a springfield micro and champion for those months. actually for cc i prefer the smaller models any time of year but many like the full sized guns and the taurus is a fine gun. stainless is the way to go.

#9 ·
Buy what you feel comfortable with. Don't listen to any of the clowns that bashes Taurus. I own one and put over 3000 rounds through it without a problem. Taurus has had a bad rap on their guns but things are better now. I trust my life with this gun. It's a fun gun to shoot. GL! :rock:

#10 ·
That eighty-one year old geezer is rather active and was moreso back in the day...the biggest change for me between winter and summer attire is that I no longer wear a jacket. I don't wear skinny jeans (really, I don't feel you need to know my parents religious denomination) and besides, if you're talking about bulk how wide is a Glock 20? Not excactly a lean and limber little carry piece...and 24/7 carry? I usually sleep seven to eight hours of the day and I certainly don't carry in my home...oddly 24/7/365 carry is meant to make things sound strangely dire, as if you are chained to that gun each and every moment....when I go to school CC or any kind of carry is a no-no, I certainly don't see my sleeping with my gun (though I do wonder about some of the more zealous gun owners out there) So, you can infer from this what you will but whatever you think I don't need or do need is fine with you and me.

Plenty of people who are active carry heavier autos, pardon me if I don't assume that my on-the-go lifestyle prohibits certain carry options. My dad is an active person and for years he carried a large frame revolver, not exactly light but doable. The aforementioned Sheriff worked Narcotics before he was a sheriff and he carried that gun even when undercover. I'm not saying that I know it all, I cerainly would never deign to do that. General individual ideology is the best...for that individual.

1911 Lawman, I agree with you Taurus has been given the shaft quite often and for a short while even by me; I've handled and for a short while owned a PT92 and was impressed with the gun despite my misgivings about the brand. Not the nicest finish, not the greatest trigger but when I did my part the gun put bullets where I aimed them and that's all I ask in a defensive handgun when it comes to accuracy (how many gunfights happen at twenty-five yards whilst you sit at a bench heck how many happen at fifteen yards)

I might have scrounged up an extra three hundred however (simply put a ship came in a bit early) that I can put towards a gun along with the trade and the current budgered amount I've allowed myself it does put me up around a grand even. So, I have a slightly larger number of options opened to me...I am open to suggestions barring anything with a rail system (don't really need one of those I like to keep my Surefire flashlight seperate)

#13 ·
The thread is about Taurus

Some people on this forum are too free with their opinions.

I owned a pt1911 for several months. It was accurate and reliable. For the money, no one else comes close to the standard features.

That said, you can add $100.00 and buy a new Kimber. It'll be too big to carry too!

#15 ·
Some people on this forum are too free with their opinions.

I owned a pt1911 for several months. It was accurate and reliable. For the money, no one else comes close to the standard features.

That said, you can add $100.00 and buy a new Kimber. It'll be too big to carry too!
Once again I question the constant claims that a 1911 is too big to carry. Obviously people have and do carry them, I have carried my RIA GI in the past without any undue discomfort. I could mull over the virtues of its relatively slim profile or its point of aim, however I can merely say that I've never felt bogged down by it in quality leather on a good gunbelt.

FBI Agents and gangsters alike carried them in the roaring twenties, several permit holders aside from myself have carried them, people still continue to carry them. Was there some change in the Earth's gravitational pull that made the 1911 "too" heavy? Was I not notified? I find the lack of notification disturbing because I am certain I left instructiosn to be paged in the event of such an event. Is the coming of 2012 weighing us down?

A lot of it comes down to personal opinion and philosophy. Said things are subjective to the individual, I do however question those that attempt to state rather personal philosophy as outright fact.

My issue on the Taurus thus far is that their QC seems a bit spotty from the varied places I've asked around at (two thumb safety breaks at the local gunshop and few complaints about fit and finish) I'll happily but a PT92 and I've given thought to their snubby revolvers for the rare days in the summer when I find myself too lightly dressed to warrant an large auto or revolver...just a bit wary of their 1911's for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.