Inland M1 Carbine - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 01:58 PM

Inland M1 Carbine

I'm looking for some information on an M1 Carbine manufactured by Inland that I saw in LGS today. They took it in as part of a trade. I've always liked the M1 platform but I have hesitated to pull the trigger because I just don't know much about them. This particular model seems to be in good shape, everything seems to work as it should, but I did not shoot it. The asking price is $900. I have two questions: (1) is this a reasonable price; and, (2) are the Inland versions generally regarded as good and reliable?
Bill Wilson Carry .45, Wilson EDCx9, Ed Brown Cobra, Nighthawk T3 & T4, Springfield TRP, Springfield LW Champion Operator, all Kimber Aegis II's, all Kimber Raptors, Dan Wesson Valor, Dan Wesson Guardian, Dan Wesson CCO, Colt Commander 70 series, Sig C3.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:04 PM

Is it an original (1944) rifle or recently manufactured? If it's recent, I think it's overpriced. If it is a 1944 year of manufacture you need to examine it to see if it has been sent to the arsenal for re-hab. My 1944 YOM carbine has all the correct pieces and never even had a bayonet lug installed as many did during and post WWII. I figure it's desirable to collectors but can only guess its value at around $2000.00. The CMP site has a Carbine forum that's full of info.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:11 PM

Assuming all is as it should be, then I'd say 'YES' and 'YES'. The price is not a steal, but if in good (read: perfect) shape, it's certainly fair. Otherwise, you may wish to try and knock it down a bit. The M1 Carbine is a very robust little rifle, and Inland certainly knew how to manufacture them.

The CMP M1 Carbine forum is a great place for quality info:

https://forums.thecmp.org/forumdispl...er=desc&page=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmontana View Post
I'm looking for some information on an M1 Carbine manufactured by Inland that I saw in LGS today. They took it in as part of a trade. I've always liked the M1 platform but I have hesitated to pull the trigger because I just don't know much about them. This particular model seems to be in good shape, everything seems to work as it should, but I did not shoot it. The asking price is $900. I have two questions: (1) is this a reasonable price; and, (2) are the Inland versions generally regarded as good and reliable?

Go to this link and check them out:

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...20M1%20Carbine

You should be able to make up your own mind by comparing with these 5 pages of Inland guns, etc. for sale.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:26 PM

There are no "bad" USGI M1 carbines, and that's a good price. Inland made more Carbines than anyone else, and they're excellent.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:57 PM
Administrator

The price is a little steep for an all-USGI M1 Carbine, and a rip-off if it's a modern commercial Inland (which I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole). M1 Carbines are very fun guns to shoot, but they are also a dime a dozen so don't let anyone tell you theirs is anything special unless it's a rare one that's all matching and correct (95% of them aren't).
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:55 AM

My 2 bits. If it is a USGI Inland offer them $750-800 bucks and see what happens. USGI Inlands were considered the most reliable of the WWII Carbines. Prices on USGI Carbines have gone up so be prepared to pay what the shop asks.

If it's a "new" production Inland offer them $400-500 bucks tops and be prepared for problems. The new ones have had major QC issued with bolts.

The easiest way to tell is a WWII production Inland will be marked "Inland Div" on the receiver and if it has the post war adjustable rear sight installed be hard to read.

A new production one will be marked "Inland Manufacturing" and be easy to read, it'll be either on the side or well behind the rear sight IIRR
Old 01-16-2020, 10:10 AM

Hi, here's another link . This one is to the Carbine Club, http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forums.html

Click on the picture of the Carbine at the top ( http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/ ) and you will get all types of information; years, mfg.'s and all types of important stuff, Mike
Old 01-16-2020, 01:55 PM

Get the serial number and take some pictures. Most likely the Inland, if an original, is a rebuild or at least has the later features. It also is probably 'imported' and has an import mark which is the name and location of the importer, usually found on the barrel behind the front sight, on side or bottom - also found on receivers below the wood line. A good Inland with matching barrel and decent stock and no import mark could go $1K. An actual original as-manufactured in WWII might be twice that. With import mark, maybe $850. With 'BLUE SKY' import mark and crummy Parkerizing job, maybe less.
So you can see how there is no way to judge value without a lot more info.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Be especially careful with the Blue Sky-marked imports. Some of them were stamped so hard on the barrel that it affected the bore.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.