Inherit a colt 45 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-12-2020, 04:53 PM

Inherit a colt 45

Hello everybody i got this gun from a relative and i like to know more about it, the front end of the slide has a darker blue than the rest of the slide like if it was dipped on something, also has the CSR under the mag release,http://[URL=https://s270.photobucket.com/user/vhag/media/IMG_0267.jpg.html][/URL]
Old 01-12-2020, 04:59 PM
Administrator

The dark front end of the slide is due to heat treating and is common on 1911s made from 1925-45. The CSR stands for Major Charles S Reed who was inspector of Ordnance at the time your pistol was made, which should be around 1940. While the finish is badly worn the pistol is still a fairly valuable piece as surviving pre-war military M1911A1s are quite rare. More pics are needed to better ascertain value however. Also you would need to remove the firing pin stop plate and look on the slide underneath to see if the serial number matches the frame.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:11 PM

Wow i never tough of looking there for serial number, it is in a weird stack order but does have a matching number under the firing pin plate , if you like to see other pics i can take some more, are this safe to shoot ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 05:19 PM

here are some more pics[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Administrator

I can't tell if it's got the original finish worn off of it, if it was once refinished, or if it was simply cold blued at some point. Nevertheless an otherwise all-matching CSR will easily be a couple thousand dollars, so I would advise against using it as a shooter. It should be safe to shoot if in good mechanical condition, but with older, softer steels in it the chances of something cracking or breaking are much higher than with a modern 1911.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:53 PM

nice looking pistol, especially nice to have inherited it. without seeing the last 3 numbers of the serial, I can't be more specific than to tell you that it was shipped from Colt to the Commanding Officer, Springfield Armory, sometime between October and December of 1940. It's possible that it was re-shipped to the U.S. Navy, as several shipped in the latter part of the year were. looks to be original, but it's really hard to tell from the pics. Congratulations on inheriting a great looking pistol You are now the caretaker of a nice piece of history.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:58 PM

Thank you for the info, it looks really good in person, pictures doesn't do a justice to this gun, i notice the recoil spring is very soft compared to a modern 1911, will it affect anything if i replace the recoil spring to a new one ?
Old 01-12-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
will it affect anything if i replace the recoil spring to a new one ?

yes... the value... seriously, though. I wouldn't even bother. As dsk said, I wouldn't use it as a shooter. Changing the spring out for another one just raises the chances of loosing the original.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:13 PM

I will leave it alone then, Thank you
Old 01-12-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I will leave it alone then, Thank you

Of course, this is just my opinion and/or advice. It's yours, so do whatever makes you happy.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:07 AM

It is hard to tell by looking at the photos. It dose have some spot of cold blue in many of areas like right side front by the muzzle and top of slide? Hard to tell. You need a better lighting to photograph. Your Colt may have been handled pretty much during its lifetime and probably touched up in my opinion. Since it is rare for that year I would leave it alone. Dose it have the Colt .45 Auto marked barrel?
Old 01-13-2020, 11:18 AM

Like many other collectors here I'm of the "don't shoot it" school, and if I had such a nice heirloom from my dad, I'd treasure it.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:26 PM

You have stumbled onto a real find. The pre-war blued Colts are some of the most sought-after.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgi1911 View Post
It is hard to tell by looking at the photos. It dose have some spot of cold blue in many of areas like right side front by the muzzle and top of slide? Hard to tell. You need a better lighting to photograph. Your Colt may have been handled pretty much during its lifetime and probably touched up in my opinion. Since it is rare for that year I would leave it alone. Dose it have the Colt .45 Auto marked barrel?
at first i didn't see any markings but does have the colt markins
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-14-2020, 12:51 AM

in front of the barrel lug, it should have a "G" stamped into it.

Last edited by corpsman5; 01-14-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
it front of the barrel lug, it should have a "G" stamped into it.
should look something like this. I think this is the large G. There is also a smaller G mark. I'm not sure of the time frames of those marks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1574.JPG  
Old 01-14-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
it front of the barrel lug, it should have a "G" stamped into it.
should look something like this. I think this is the large G. There is also a smaller G mark. I'm not sure of the time frames of those marks.
yeah, i’m not sure either. i’ll have to check when i get home.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Per Clawson the G-marked barrels were used from 712350 to ~900,000, and the large G showed up around 790,000. A CSR pistol would definitely use the smaller G marking.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:41 PM

There is the G guys not sure if it is small or big

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-15-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
There is the G guys not sure if it is small or big

[IMG][/IMG]
[email protected],

It looks small.

Best Regards,

P.S. Here's some "G"s for comparison. The "G" with the "F G" barrel is large.

Attached Thumbnails
Barrels 2 151-2 (2).jpg   Barrels 2 145 (2)-2.jpg   Barrels 2 135-2.jpg  

Last edited by stan2; 01-15-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:37 PM

yeah, definitely a small "G", so that would be the correct barrel.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:19 PM

Great,Thank you guys
Old 01-16-2020, 01:04 AM

Barrel looks to be correct and in good condition wise. Try looking for wear pattern to the barrel and the slide to see if they match. The Colt may be all original? Still not sure of touch up yet?
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM

everything seem to be ok, are the grips suppose to be plastic or wood ?
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM

The mags are also a little rusty and looks like they used to be due tone

[IMG][/IMG]