S&w 629-6 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 10:56 AM

S&w 629-6

After not having a big bore revolver for a long time, my son got stationed in Alaska, which got me thinking about another. A trip in the near future, and the possibility of an Alaskan hunt with him, started me on the path to a new 44 mag. After much research I decided on a 629 with 6" barrel. Before it even arrived I had ordered a Hi-Vis fiberoptic front sight and the proper frame plug for removing the stupid lock. On initial examination I had a couple of gripes, but nothing deal breaking. The first was the side plate fit. It fit tightly but the back most edge (most of witch is under the grip) sits below the frame slightly creating a very sharp edge. It is really only a concern where it extends above the grip at the top of the backstrap. You can feel this razor edge and it bothered me. I addressed this issue at the same time I installed the Lock plug and it is smooth and polished like the rest of the revolver. The trigger was better than I expected after reading on line threads on this pistol, so while it was apart I did minimal polishing to the sides of the hammer and trigger. It is very good now and I plan no further work inside at this time. My only other gripe was the finish on the front of the ejector shroud was left extremely rough. I think the polisher completely forgot to smooth this area. a few minutes with some sand paper and my buffer it now looks like the rest of the revolver. I then proceeded to the range with some 240gr Hornady ammo and sighted it in. At 20 yards I was a little left but level. It shot great, and reminded me why the .44 mag with full power loads is a gun that commands respect. Made a quick sight change and was right in the X-ring. It is at least as accurate and well made as my previous S&W revolvers and shot very well. Barrel is straight (and not two piece). Now if I can just find a set of the OD green grips that are now discontinued...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1796.jpg   IMG_1826.jpg  
Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 AM

Hope you enjoy your new Smith. The 629-6 was my first hand gun. I've had it 5 years now and it's the reason i started reloading. Still love it.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:33 PM

The 29 is probably my second favorite revolver behind a 686 (and right before the 642 and x-frame .460). That's a fantastic hand cannon you've got there.

Didn't take me long to take the hillary lock on my 642 to the benchgrinder. No more lock, no replacement plug.

Good luck on your hunt.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Great choice for Alaska. I lived there for 15 years. Chest holsters seem to be often recommended. They are good for fishing. But, when hunting with a day pack, binos, and a slung rifle, I found I didn't need anything more strapped to my shoulders. So, I preferred cross draw.

Your son will have to be in Alaska for a year before he has resident status. Once he does, you, as "kin*", will be able to hunt with him for brown/grizzly bear, and/or sheep, and/or moutain goat. Otherwise, hunting these species as a non-resident requires a guide and lots of $$$$$. Good luck.

* - AK regs on "Kin"
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ting.guidereqs
Old 06-19-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzleblast... View Post
Great choice for Alaska. I lived there for 15 years. Chest holsters seem to be often recommended. They are good for fishing. But, when hunting with a day pack, binos, and a slung rifle, I found I didn't need anything more strapped to my shoulders. So, I preferred cross draw.

Your son will have to be in Alaska for a year before he has resident status. Once he does, you, as "kin*", will be able to hunt with him for brown/grizzly bear, and/or sheep, and/or moutain goat. Otherwise, hunting these species as a non-resident requires a guide and lots of $$$$$. Good luck.

* - AK regs on "Kin"
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ting.guidereqs
Yes, you are right on both counts. we've been doing our homework since he found out that was his duty station, Double D is the maker of the chest rig I will most likely be getting. They seem highly regarded in Alaska. Also planning the trip for next season to take advantage of "Kin" status and give him time to learn and scout the areas. My first hunt is probably going to be for Caribou as its probably the least likely to encounter in the lower 48. And if an unfortunate Bear happens by, and in range that would be a bonus. Although it seems their is a huge moose population near him. The funny rule on the size of the antlers has me thinking I'm not that interested in them.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:56 PM

I like my 629-2.

I'm pretty sure that when I carry it, I'm not underpinned.

;-)