Did I get lucky putting it back together? No idiot scratch first timer - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 09:56 AM

Did I get lucky putting it back together? No idiot scratch first timer

I took down the 1911 to clean it and went to assemble it. I was watching a random YouTube video as help. Went to put back the gun. Now I'm used to CZ pistols so I was going by how they go together when it came to the slide stop. The video said not to swing the stop up as it causes the idiot scratch. I couldn't even understand why someone would do that. I simply lined up the slide hole with the frame, positioned the slide stop how it usually sits, and pushed the slide stop straight in. Ta-Da!

Seemed obvious and easy. What am I missing here? How does the idiot scratch happen? Did I do it right? Why would anyone swing it up?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:16 AM

The slide stop on my Baer TRS will sometimes hang up on the plunger tube pins. When it does, it's a bear to get back out. Hopefully after a couple thousand more rounds it will free up.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
The video said not to swing the stop up as it causes the idiot scratch. I couldn't even understand why someone would do that.
The Army taught that method as it made it easier. Uncle Sam wasn't nearly as worried about idiot scratches on its guns as the average Joe gun owner is.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Why would anyone swing it up?
Because they are irreverent!

There are no excuses; shun them!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:18 PM

Are you talking about the CZ or 1911? Yes the CZ stop slides straight in. With the 1911, it actually does require a very tiny and brief upward motion to slightly depress the tiny spring-loaded ball end of the plunger tube. Where we get in trouble there sometimes is if we are rushing or not paying close enough attention to where we initially position the slide stop lever to start the push inward. Like instead of carefully positioning the little notch of the lever right below and barely touching the bottom edge of plunger tube, then only have to make very tiny push up a hair to depress the ball on the plunger tube then push straight in; we can tend to get a little lazy or in a rush and initially place the stop lever just a little bit too low beneath the tip of plunger tube, THEN try to make that slight upward push to depress the plunger tube before snapping into place...hence that beautiful sexy little "smile" appears below the plunger tube. See when OTHER people do it, it's an idiot mark but when I do it, it just adds a pretty sexy little smile and adds character to the gun
Old 06-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Actually I've pretty much changed to always disassembling/reassembling at the barrel bushing so at least when I am putting slide stop lever back in without any spring pressure at the plunger tube. Much harder to make a mistake that way
Old 06-19-2017, 01:44 PM

I take the thumb safety out to relieve plunger tension to allow the slide stop to drop right in without worry. For the thumb safety, I use a q-tip cut in half to push the plunger in all the way, drop safety in, then back the q-tip out and the safety pops into position perfectly.

This is the idiot proof method that works best for me.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:50 PM

I just took my new Les Baer apart for the first time last night, cleaned it and reassembled it. No idiot scratch. I also have two Kimber's and a Springfield 1911 none of which have idiot scratches. If you are careful resaaembling your gun if should live it's entire life free of idiot scratches.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigo23 View Post
Actually I've pretty much changed to always disassembling/reassembling at the barrel bushing so at least when I am putting slide stop lever back in without any spring pressure at the plunger tube. Much harder to make a mistake that way
I'm not following what you mean here. Can you put that in laymen terms
Old 06-19-2017, 02:13 PM

Some folks disassemble with the recoil spring under pressure. Some remove the barrel bushing to take the pressure off. I find it much easier to do the latter. Also there is a great video somewhere here from Logman about filing a small notch in the slide stop to facilitate insertion. Otherwise just lay a playing card on the side of the frame under the hole in case you come up from a little too far south before pushing it in.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:26 PM

Oh yea I definitely took the spring out the front first.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:11 PM

Did I get lucky putting it back together? No idiot scratch first timer

Quote:
I'm not following what you mean here. Can you put that in laymen terms

What AzHusker said above

Last edited by Jigo23; 06-19-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The Army taught that method as it made it easier. Uncle Sam wasn't nearly as worried about idiot scratches on its guns as the average Joe gun owner is.
The Army taught the fastest surest way to put it back together. They couldn't care less about minor scratches. The term "idiot scratch" has always made me cringe.

My gun on my time, I'm carefull. Oncle Sam's gun on Oncle Sam's time is a different story.

There. I said it. And feel better already.

Edit. Valid for any Army; any "Oncle"; any issued gun.

Last edited by kurusu; 06-19-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 PM

Strange because adding the idiot scratch is the first thing I do with a new gun, that way I can stop fretting about it and get on with shooting it.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
Strange because adding the idiot scratch is the first thing I do with a new gun, that way I can stop fretting about it and get on with shooting it.

LMAO! Yeah that's the best idea yet!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:45 PM

I haven't done it in quite a while so probably due, I never got too upset about it tho, and have never passed on buying a gun cause it had one either
Old 06-19-2017, 04:59 PM

It never happens with a new gun. You are paying too much attention. It happens with that gun you just shot and haven't cleaned in a while and get in a rush because the wife won't give you 10 minutes to take care of the important things in life
Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 PM

I got mine the opposite way. My plunger spring had way too much tension, but being the first 1911 I have ever handled it didn't make sense to me. All of the videos just show them sliding right in, but here mine wouldn't. I was losing patience and finally the slide stop went in and got hung up somehow. I got the scratch trying to pull it back out. Oh well. For what I paid for it, I'm not worried.

My plunger tube has loosened up, I think. I've been messing with the extractor and the slide stop clicks right in, now.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:59 AM

One piece of blue painter's tape during reassembly means never having to worry about it.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:09 PM

Took it apart to file the ejector and put it back together. Lined up the holes and pushed the slide stop in parallel to the slide and it went in with some thumb force. No way to scratch the frame.

Is this way ok?
Old 06-21-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoemen66 View Post
it never happens with a new gun. You are paying too much attention. It happens with that gun you just shot and haven't cleaned in a while and get in a rush because the wife won't give you 10 minutes to take care of the important things in life
+1911
Old 06-21-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigo23 View Post
I haven't done it in quite a while so probably due, I never got too upset about it tho, and have never passed on buying a gun cause it had one either
On the other hand the dreaded scratch has been used as a bargaining tool for me while purchasing a 1911. Sometimes I win, sometimes the other buyers don't care. To me any damage not carry or use related gives an indication of how a person takes care of the rest of the pistol.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:29 PM

I got pretty upset about the minor scratch I put on mine while reinstalling the mag release catch. I can deal with the normal wear and tear of use, but it's like I let the gun down when I do damage on my own.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 PM

You got lucky.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPete View Post
One piece of blue painter's tape during reassembly means never having to worry about it.

Yeah but that's too easy, what's the challenge in that?