MY X9 First Impressions - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 12:59 PM

MY X9 First Impressions

Had to put MY in there because this is not my first impression, my very first impression was WOWZA! Then I shot it. Like Ken Hackathorn told me, DO NOT pick this up if you do not want to buy one. So, mine was ordered through George. Been doing business with George @Gunslingers for several years now. ALWAYS top notch service, communication and the like. Matter of fact, I have not even paid for this pistol yet (check's in the mail George!), but that's just how we roll. So my gun arrived at George's Thursday morning. He sent me pics right away and had the gun in the mail to my LGS the SAME day! Yesterday, I went to my LGS, Sharpshooters range and Pro Shop in Newington, Va and picked her up. No time to shoot, but I was back there at 10AM today to have an initial range outing. My friend Tim, one of the General Managers at the shop is a Wilson guy also. He has an X9 on order and also has a Spec Ops 9. When he saw I had mine, he was more than a little excited. I asked him if he weanted to shoot it and he happily replied yes. I let him examine and fondle the weapon, then he handed it to me. He asked if I had shot it yet, I said no, but I'd be honored if he took the first magazine. The look on his face was priceless! He shot a full magazine into an IDPA target at 10 yards, a complete all touching group of 15! Suffice to say, he was pretty impressed.
He went back to his assigned duties and I proceeded to put 105 rounds of 124Grain JHP's through the X9. First, I measured my trigger at home with a Lyman gauge. 3.92 was the average of 10 pulls. Mind you, this was before firing my first round! I know WC test fires about +- 80 rounds before shipping, but that in no way os broken in. The trigger is crisp, breaks like glass and feels every bit as smooth as any of my WC. NHC or other Semi and Custom guns.
I shot a little to the left and somewhat low at first, I'll attribute that to my finger placement on the trigger. I think I will order a large back strap just to try. While I shot a medium back with medium trigger before, I did not have time to analyze that configuration and for a C-Note, it is worth it to me to try the other back strap. I did not oil this gun at all before or during live fire. it was wet when it arrived and I decided to let her go. 130 total rounds 124 grain JHP total. Not one hiccup...Nothing but pure shooting pleasure. The X-Tac treatment is something I am used to and like a lot. For those of you who have not experienced it yet, I think you will like the function even if you do not warm to the appearance. Overall, I am very pleased with this gun. Fir=t and finish is what I have come to expect from Wilson. A well made, finely finished fighting/range/carry weapon. Before this came in, I sold my Spec Ops 9, something I did not think I would do. I do not regret that decision at all. Overall, I think you guys who are waiting on these will be pleasantly surprised. I believe Wilson hit one out of the park with this. The magazines ( I bought 5 extra for a total of 7) are top shelf also. Coated, strong, and everything I have come to expect again from a company like WC.
Now for some pics
Here is Tim first time with an X9 in his hands, he was like a schoolboy!

First Shots

130 Rounds of 124 JHPs @10 yards factory loads

This is the 'head' of an IDPA with a 3" stick on @10 yards. The one off the target is NOT MY SHOT(it was on the cardboard carrier)!

Close up of the center mass portion of the target. Yea, I missed 2X!

Some pics of the gun after shooting her

Last edited by Bigdaddymike; 06-18-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:00 PM

Couple more pics:

The sight picture
Old 06-18-2017, 01:13 PM

Great report, Mike, and fine looking gun for sure. Nice to hear your trigger came in under 4.0 lbs. Not sure what trigger pull was on the example I shot at the bash, but it was CRISP! Fine looking target at that distance. I have to say, the X9 is the easiest, most "shootable" handgun I've ever shot. Ken tried to warn us......!!

Old 06-18-2017, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the review and the pics Mike, nice shooting and a great looking edc x9
I also ordered from George, I originally ordered the Gray slide and frame but after WC decided to do the controls in black only I had George change mine to all black with black cherry grips.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the write up! Great review
Old 06-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Must have been hard to walk away from when you last saw it in the kitted box. Must feel good to have the finished product in your hands. Congrats and thanks for the write up.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-18-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddymike View Post
I believe Wilson hit one out of the park with this.
That just might be an understatement. Time will tell, but the EDC X9 may very well end up being the greatest doublestack semi auto 9, ever. That's saying something, because there's some legendary pistols in this category already.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:45 PM

Nice review mike and great pics!!!
John 15:13 - "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”
Wilson Combat: XTAC-C 9mm, EDCX9, WC/Hero911 Professional Protector 9mm. Nighthawk Custom: Bobtail'd Bob Marvel. STI: Nitro 10 Tactical 2011. Rogers Precision: Golfballed Kimber Ultra Carry II. Alchemy Custom: Hand of Doom Les Baer Stinger. Ed Brown: SF w/RMR 9mm.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:00 PM

Mike, thanks for that review. Letting your buddy from the LGS fire the first mag through it was very thoughtful. My initial thoughts when I first held one was that an all metal double-stack being light weight, with the controls and ergo's of the 1911, and no grip safety, was going to be a great seller; and as US1911 says above, it may just turn out to be one of the best double-stack semi-auto 9's ever made - only time will tell. Glad you got a chance to enjoy it finally after seeing it being built at the Bash. Congrats buddy - oh, and happy Father's Day.
Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Dillon RL550B
Old 06-18-2017, 05:28 PM

your review made it all that much harder to WAIT for mine( damn 10 round mags)!!!

how does it compare to that Spec op you offed?

thanks for the effort and the pics.

congrats on getting YOURS BDM!
Old 06-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Good job MDM
Old 06-18-2017, 07:26 PM

All these pics and reviews have me chomping at the bit, I wish I would have ordered earlier. I can't wait till mine finally gets kitted.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 PM

Enjoyed the write-up!
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
On Order: Wilson EDC X9
Old 06-18-2017, 10:30 PM

Great job Mike! You were so excited at the Wilson factory to find your gun in the shop that you got ME excited!! Glad I waited for the EDC X45 though.

Enjoy and keep the range pics coming!!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:01 AM

Very Nice Mike, congratulations! What is the specked velocity on the 124gr HP's you shot?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Very Nice Mike, congratulations! What is the specked velocity on the 124gr HP's you shot?
1189FPS, Sig Sauer V-Crown
Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 AM

Nice write up Mike, thanks for sharing.

It was a hard decession for me between the large vs small back strap. I think I could have lived with the small back strap medium trigger but after trying Ken Hackathorn's at the Bash with the large back strap we both agreed the large was a better fit for me.

Looking forward to mine arriving but that will be a while since I didn't place my order until the day we toured the factory.
Colt Special Combat Government, Wiley Clapp Stainless Commander
Old 06-19-2017, 12:51 PM

Nice review Mike. Thanks
Old 06-19-2017, 04:38 PM

Geez, I gotta stop clicking on these threads. This is not going to help my wallet.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 PM

I saw your's in the raw when we did the Tour..It's pretty hard waiting for mine now.

I haven't read one review where anyone had so much as a hick-up with an EDC X9..
About two more weeks and I'll have the twin of yours...Hope it makes it before the 4th.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:00 PM

Couldn't stand it, off to the range for the second day in a row, another 210 flawless rounds. 135 grain Berry Bullet WC Reman ammo..I have added no oil to this gun since I got it. I am going to shoot it until it stops or gets sluggish before cleaning/oiling...Nice stuff I forgot to mention, Wilson now includes a 2 oz. bottle of Lite Oil with their guns. Also, as you can see, it fits very nicely in my Lo Pro WC Holster!

First Magazine tonight...15 rounds, 10 yards offhand

After 210 rounds

My X9 in the Lo ProII
Old 06-20-2017, 04:01 AM

That is one gorgeous gun Mike. Or is it just plain "cute", either way, makes one want to "cuddle" it (as in shoot it!)...So what was the velocity on the 135 gr (I tried googling but only came up with the bullet)? Just trying to see what power-factors are being shot as the X9 range-reports come out.

Anyone into 9mm and into custom 1911ish guns almost "has" to pick one of these up. It is just that unique and extremely-well designed. For us 45-Fan-boys, it becomes a little more difficult decision. I read the reports with interest, not sure if I am looking for reason to buy one, or an excuse not too. - LOL!

Last edited by combat auto; 06-20-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:43 AM

Looks to me like your X9 fits in that LoPro perfectly.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytown1911 View Post
Great job Mike! You were so excited at the Wilson factory to find your gun in the shop that you got ME excited!! Glad I waited for the EDC X45 though.

Enjoy and keep the range pics coming!!
EDC X45? Whatchu talkin bout?
COTEP#782
Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
EDC X45? Whatchu talkin bout?