Finally picked up my AK74! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 11:37 PM

Finally picked up my AK74!

I have had an AK74 on layaway for a while since we didn't have one and I have an odd attraction to com-block style guns and this particular one had a full accessory set that is eastern blok style. I also really like the 5.45x39 round due to the very interesting terminal effects and VERY low recoil.

The gun is from century arms (Yes, let the hate flow if you want. The price was very good plus we lacked a 74) and the assembly is......okay. It is nowhere near our polish made guns in way, those are wonderfully parked and all the parts are very well aligned and the metals are all just smoother and nicer in general. HOWEVER it seems that everything that matters is in fair order and the gun overall is pleasing to hold and shake around. I like it but someone who is a major fit snob or simply dislikes the AK platform would not have reason to change their views.

Here are a few pictures of the gun and my usual rifle for size.

http://imgur.com/a/5IOWZ

Very happy with it so far! Gonna shoot it tommrow and see if it has any accuracy and how it feels.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Century may put out a lot of turds, but some of their guys actually know what they're doing so as long as everything is straight you're fine. Congratulations.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:36 AM

Congrats on the 74 just to give you a hint the best 74 right now is the Molot Russian AK-74 with the para stock. built like a pure tank. Fit, finish, workmanship in final product.

Some have already tested them to over 5,000 rounds.

Take it from someone who has tested and owned Ak's from back to the early 70's.and been through hundreds. Enjoy the one you have but check out the latest import.

RON K.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
I have had an AK74 on layaway for a while since we didn't have one and I have an odd attraction to com-block style guns and this particular one had a full accessory set that is eastern blok style. I also really like the 5.45x39 round due to the very interesting terminal effects and VERY low recoil.

The gun is from century arms (Yes, let the hate flow if you want. The price was very good plus we lacked a 74) and the assembly is......okay. It is nowhere near our polish made guns in way, those are wonderfully parked and all the parts are very well aligned and the metals are all just smoother and nicer in general. HOWEVER it seems that everything that matters is in fair order and the gun overall is pleasing to hold and shake around. I like it but someone who is a major fit snob or simply dislikes the AK platform would not have reason to change their views.

Here are a few pictures of the gun and my usual rifle for size.

http://imgur.com/a/5IOWZ

Very happy with it so far! Gonna shoot it tommrow and see if it has any accuracy and how it feels.
I went and looked at the pic's pretty nice they are around $600 bucks I would guess.The Molots are around $1,000 and $1,200 for the Para model. But well worth the extra bucks. Having so many back in the day kind of spoiled on the good stuff.And so tired of AR-15's M-16's I sold them all.

RON K.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:54 PM

Ah it failed! Won't return to battery and locks up on every shot. Have to hammer the charging handle to get it to unlock. Suffered through 40 rounds of bolt action AK74, then feild stripped it and switch to my LWRC for the rest of my shooting.

Tossed it off the deck, gonna pick up the bits after dinner. https://imgur.com/gallery/FTYjx

So. Does anyone here know how to determine what is wrong with an AK patten rifle?

Last edited by Striker2237; 06-18-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Century will stand behind it and will repair it.

"Stuff happens", but "stuff" can be corrected. Give them a chance to make it right.
You paid for a working rifle, let them figure out what's wrong and make it right.
If you talk to them, they may send you a shipping label or pickup notice so you don't have to pay shipping charges.
But, since it's a rifle, you can mail it cheap and well insured.

Looks can be greatly improved with a coat of a paint type gun coating like Lauer Durakote or Brownell's Aluma-hyde, or best of all, Cerakote.
That makes a world of difference.

Last edited by dfariswheel; 06-18-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
Century will stand behind it and will repair it.

"Stuff happens", but "stuff" can be corrected. Give them a chance to make it right.
You paid for a working rifle, let them figure out what's wrong and make it right.
If you talk to them, they may send you a shipping label or pickup notice so you don't have to pay shipping charges.
But, since it's a rifle, you can mail it cheap and well insured.

Looks can be greatly improved with a coat of a paint type gun coating like Lauer Durakote or Brownell's Aluma-hyde, or best of all, Cerakote.
That makes a world of difference.
Yeah I send it to them if a new spring doesn't solve it. I'm not gonna change the looks since the main reason I bought it was for the com-block look
Old 06-19-2017, 12:05 PM

I know it would be a extra chunk of dough but $400 more. And with the Molot you would not have had a problem at all. I had a few century guns also. even canted site trade in's. Got rid of every one of them. Liked the Draco mini and micro. but sold those also. Back with the Molot and a full size AK-74.. Sometimes we find out after much trial and errors..

What works out best. Hopefully you will get it right and have a great functioning AK.

RON K.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:57 PM

As a guy who once VISITED the CAI factory/shop....I will NEVER buy anything from CAI.

QC is non existent. Build it...Send it out. Most of the workers looked like transients. It was a real eye opener.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:05 PM

You kinda roll the dice with a Century Build. Thier Imports are good to go. 74's aren't cheap. Obama banned the Russian Siaga's and Russian Veper's are the only factory built 74's being imported now.
Make sure it is cleaned and lubed. You may want to try a Bulgarian Military (not a commercial) mag, or an East German Bakelite mag.
Give Century a call, see what they say.

Last edited by bulldozer1; 06-19-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:15 PM

It isa crap shoot buying Ak's out there so many builders and kits. If you don't buy new import.You don't know what you can get. And very few builders who can do it right.

I know three of the best in country personally. So would know who to trust. You can go to a few major shows. And see 100 AK's.. and maybe ten are done right for builds. And a few who did some ten years ago are no longer around. And some ad's they say built by so and so. You look them up and they did ten guns not hundreds.

I say buy new import. Russian or Bulgarian. Or original Maadi Import or YUGO from back in the day Mitchell imports.I have been around them since the early 70's. And had some of the first Nam Bringback's.. so know all about it.I did the round about loop and back into AK'S

RON K.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:39 PM

Yeah I understand the crapshoot that is the AK market right now, I was not planning to have the gun do anything more than be a nice collectable. However I STILL want something I can shoot and enjoy when I feel like it in a manner the gun is supposed to function.

EDIT: The gun was fully cleaned before use, I found with the dust cover removed (I had a face shield don't worry) it worked properly with the ammo that was once cycled on the first few jams. It was only 4 shots though.

Last edited by Striker2237; 06-19-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Administrator

There are people out there who say you can't make an AK jam. Actually it's easy... just have the Americans build one. Had we realized this 50 years ago we could've built tens of thousands of them and had the CIA drop them behind enemy lines in Vietnam. We'd have won the war in a matter of months. Same goes for the Cold War. Go into Russian and East German warehouses and secretly switch out their AKs with these phony US-made ones and in no time the Soviets would've been so frustrated they'd have had Mikhail Kalashnikov shot.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 06-19-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
There are people out there who say you can't make an AK jam. Actually it's easy... just have the Americans build one. Had we realized this 50 years ago we could've built tens of thousands of them and had the CIA drop them behind enemy lines in Vietnam. We'd have won the war in a matter of months.
Yeah I don't know where that myth comes from, in my experience I see aks jam more than ARs
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 PM

A lot of guys that were in the Sand Wars say the same.
Most said the AK's had not been maintained at all.

You can get away with a lot with a rifle like the AK, but even it needs to be cleaned and oiled.
In the old Soviet military failing to maintain your rifle, even in combat would get you sent to a penal battalion, which was somewhere no one ever wanted to go.

People never wonder just why it is that groups like the SEAL's Delta, Rangers etc never seem to have much of any stoppages.
That's because they're absolute maniacs about maintenance.
They don't spend a lot of time on it, but they do it often and right.

God helps them that helps themselves, and a major self-help toward survival is...clean the damn rifle.
It's one thing for somebody on the 'net bragging about how he never services his AK, like that's going to impress people, but most of us can't afford to replace a rifle damaged by lack of lube and cleaning.
If you're not doing maintenance to a range toy that's one thing, but if you're not doing meticulous maintenance in combat or on a home defense weapon you shouldn't be surprised if it fails you right when you really need it.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah I don't know where that myth comes from, in my experience I see aks jam more than ARs
There are 3 kinds of AK's.
1)Those that are made in an AK factory overseas and imported into the United States. (The ones that don't jam)
2)Those that are assembled from AK parts kits and built on an American manufactured receiver. (The ones that may jam)
3) Those that are made in America.
(The ones that will jam/ wear prematurely and /or blow up)
(PSA is still being evaluated)
It truly stinks that you are having problems and I hope Century makes it right for you but you have a number 2).

Last edited by bulldozer1; 06-19-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Believe it or not I found a way to make even a pre-ban Norinco AKM clone jam. I had one once and it would malfunction on me when I used one of those poly buffers on the recoil spring guide rod. The only reason why I was using the buffer was because it was the early days of the Clinton ban and I was trying to preserve the rifle.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:51 AM

Just buy an AR.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Just buy an AR.
I already have several premium AR15, I again didn't buy this as a use gun. Just as a nice colectable that I believe should work as intended.

My favorite AR15 is my LWRC SPR btw so I DO have perfectly servicable long gun already.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I already have several premium AR15, I again didn't buy this as a use gun. Just as a nice colectable that I believe should work as intended.

My favorite AR15 is my LWRC SPR btw so I DO have perfectly servicable long gun already.
I am sorry. I didn't realize it was for collectible purposes. May I suggest that you get an orange mag for it. Nothing screams AK74 then the commie orange mag... might make the collectible a little more interesting.

Good luck
Old 06-20-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON K. View Post
I know it would be a extra chunk of dough but $400 more. And with the Molot you would not have had a problem at all.

RON K.
Breaking news! MOLOT just got sanctioned. VEPRS are flying of the shelves. Several vendors sites have already crashed.
Say bye to the last of the Real Russian AK Imports. Saiga's gone under Obama, VEPR's today.
What was plentiful yesterday, is almost a unicorn already.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce.../20170620.aspx

Last edited by bulldozer1; 06-20-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 PM

And they did it...Now more guys will want them. Glad I just picked up the Molot 74, RON K.

p.s. Thanks for that info I was wondering why it said out of stock or PRICE ON REQUEST.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:30 PM

Damn, I hate seeing import of guns from ANY manufacturer stopped. Disappointing as I was hoping they would allow Kalashnikov concern ak12s to be imported under trump.

Guess I'll have to wait even longer.....
Old 06-21-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
People never wonder just why it is that groups like the SEAL's Delta, Rangers etc never seem to have much of any stoppages.
That's because they're absolute maniacs about maintenance.
They don't spend a lot of time on it, but they do it often and right.
Just because someone is one of the worlds most elite warriors doesn't mean they have a strong weapon maintenance standard. Remember that McNabb mentioned one of his coworkers in the 22nd SAS who flat out refused to clean any firearm, ever. He believed if a gun would only function when clean, it was not a gun worth taking into battle.