Texas Knife Bill - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 06:16 AM

Texas Knife Bill

Greg signed the bill (HB1935 'Bowie Bill') yesterday so we don't have to carry our tape measure when we shop for knives anymore. Jim Bowie must be smiling. Don't forget to wait till 1 Sept.

Last edited by STORM2; 06-16-2017 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Added effective date
Old 06-16-2017, 09:56 AM

Good stuff. I've been out-of-this-loop recently, but I recall that double-edged blades were also being discussed by Texas legislators. Anyone know if the pre-existing (Texas) ban on the latter is also scheduled to be lifted?

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 06-16-2017, 10:24 AM

Congrats y'all. I quite often carry my Bowie when I'm out and about. It's nice to have a good close in weapon.

COTEP#782

Old 06-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Illegal knives list is now only location restricted knives. The location list reads like the no gun list.
If you can carry a gun, you can carry all the double edged sword you can afford or lift....after 1 September.

Last edited by STORM2; 06-16-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
Illegal knives list is now only location restricted knives. The location list reads like the no gun list.
If you can carry a gun, you can carry all the double edged sword you can afford or lift....after 1 September.
Nice! Thank you again for this update.

I'd sensed that this was the way things were headed (for those of us residing in Texas).

When September 1 rolls around, each of us should probably directly look up the law for ourselves -- just as a matter of good practice -- but I feel very confident that this is (will be) the new law, as I was previously following the legislative sentiment. Only a few bastions of predictable liberal strongholds (we know where they are) were arguing otherwise.

Frankly, my greatest need for a defensive edged weapon is with regard to large hostile dogs who occasionally run loose in my neighborhood. I like to be prepared to fight back if needed, e.g., if I return home, park in driveway, and get out of car at night.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 06-16-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:37 PM

Chrys close in sometimes a fixed blade can be a really good choice.
You don't want to try to draw your pistol up close and possibly wrestle over it.
But a good fixed blade can be quite useful and nobody wants to grab a blade.
COTEP#782
Old 06-16-2017, 06:44 PM

That's great news, as I always had to make some models in shorter versions for TX and it just didn't seem right being the home of the Alamo and all that.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POJtaO2xB_o
Old 06-16-2017, 07:53 PM

Good news! If I remember correctly, it's been more than 150 years since Texas made it illegal to carry a bowie knife, specifically, because of the horrendous wounds they are capable of, in a skilled hand. But then, so is an 8" chef's knife, which, in my opinion, is a very good emergency substitute for a Searles-style bowie.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:54 PM

7.62Kolctr, is that a Greg Covington bowie?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Chrys close in sometimes a fixed blade can be a really good choice.
You don't want to try to draw your pistol up close and possibly wrestle over it.
But a good fixed blade can be quite useful and nobody wants to grab a blade.
Absolutely. +1911. I'm no longer a young fellow with cat-quick reflexes, so I have no illusions as to my close-up fighting capabilities, preferring a firearm. But you're still absolutely correct, and it's best to be as prepared as possible, even as an older, slower, citizen.

---------

On one detail, I ran into some uncertainty (to me) in specific regard to repeal of the 5.5" length restriction.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...egular-session

"House Bill 1935 repeals the prohibition on the possession or carrying of knives such as daggers, dirks, stilettos and Bowies, by eliminating them from the prohibited weapons section of the Texas Penal Code. Restrictions remain in place for possession or carrying of knives with a blade over 5 ˝ inches long in public places"

Also,

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/kniv...cASN22fuscBJL/

Apparently some amendments were tacked on at various points ... and I couldn't find the final amended version signed by our Governor Abbott.

I don't pretend to have the authorative answer, but let's be careful, until we know for sure, before carrying a blade over 5.5".

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 06-16-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:56 PM

I will probably buy a gladiator sword or a double edge cane sword just to celebrate this law. started carrying a switchblade when they made autos legal, too
Old 06-17-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
I will probably buy a gladiator sword or a double edge cane sword just to celebrate this law. started carrying a switchblade when they made autos legal, too
Auto's are already legal in Texas. Only restriction I'm aware of is OTF auto's.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtcomdo View Post
Auto's are already legal in Texas. Only restriction I'm aware of is OTF auto's.
close. Autos are legal, both OTF and flippers, and have been (to carry) since 9/1/16. only restriction on them is blade length and can't be double sided.

new law will allow double sided and longer than 5.5". So I may end up with one of those, too.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:35 AM

On the other hand, the existing (soon to be old) law sure did save me a ton of money. Rick Bowles had a high end Randall I passed on last year because of the length.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
close. Autos are legal, both OTF and flippers, and have been (to carry) since 9/1/16. only restriction on them is blade length and can't be double sided.

new law will allow double sided and longer than 5.5". So I may end up with one of those, too.
What percentage of OTF automatics are double edged?
I always figured that was the main point of carrying a blade that you could retract without touching.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:37 PM

You need to get yourself something like this Chrys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Nice! Thank you again for this update.

I'd sensed that this was the way things were headed (for those of us residing in Texas).

When September 1 rolls around, each of us should probably directly look up the law for ourselves -- just as a matter of good practice -- but I feel very confident that this is (will be) the new law, as I was previously following the legislative sentiment. Only a few bastions of predictable liberal strongholds (we know where they are) were arguing otherwise.

Frankly, my greatest need for a defensive edged weapon is with regard to large hostile dogs who occasionally run loose in my neighborhood. I like to be prepared to fight back if needed, e.g., if I return home, park in driveway, and get out of car at night.
These will work well on dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Old pictures 3971.JPG  
Old 06-18-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjed View Post
7.62Kolctr, is that a Greg Covington bowie?
Yes sir. Have yet to find a Bagwell I could afford so this was the next best choice.
Perfectly balanced and lightning quick.
COTEP#782
Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
What percentage of OTF automatics are double edged?
I always figured that was the main point of carrying a blade that you could retract without touching.
no idea the percentage, but it seems like more are double bladed. I may go with one side seratted, one plain. that way you have 2 knifes with one button
Old 06-19-2017, 04:46 PM

Stevie, where would you get a double sided otf with one side serrated and the other plain? I like that idea.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Congrats y'all. I quite often carry my Bowie when I'm out and about. It's nice to have a good close in weapon.

Covington Bowie?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretray View Post
Covington Bowie?
Answered above affirmative.
Post #18
COTEP#782
Old 06-21-2017, 06:33 AM

a won for us all if I must say.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1desertrat View Post
Stevie, where would you get a double sided otf with one side serrated and the other plain? I like that idea.
the internet. not a lot of stores have them around here to try, but I have seen some of the Microtech products that fit that description on BladeHQ and similar.
Microtech and benchmade knives are not cheap. but they are mechanical works of art.

I'm half-assedly shopping. I want one, but may be moving to a less-free state so not sure yet...
Old 06-22-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:

They're more Greek than Roman style but the belly on the edge does offer some advantages...

https://www.zombietools.net/shop/xiphos/

https://www.zombietools.net/shop/diphos/