Ruger 10mm 1911? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 11:16 PM

Ruger 10mm 1911?

Friend calls this morning says im interested in this 1911 that is 10mm.
He says its a Ruger. I politely tell him Ruger does not make a 10mm
He says he is sure the ad said Ruger 10mm. I ask where did you see this at?
Says Gunbroker.
I check and sure enough a Ruger 10mm WOW!
No fanfare or tactical video. Just a quiet release. Not a Ruger fanboy just
suprised that a firearm manufacture introduces a new model so quietly.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:20 PM

Yup. Came out a while ago

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6739.html
Old 06-15-2017, 12:06 AM

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=808913

Old 06-15-2017, 03:13 PM

Mine should be at my FFL on Monday!

Unfortunately, because of the 5 business day reporting nonsense I won't be able to pick up up until Wednesday.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:21 PM

Yup, just watched the video on Gunblast.com
Old 06-15-2017, 04:05 PM

does anyone know if they can handle full power loads, or if they're handicapped like the delta elite?
Old 06-15-2017, 05:08 PM

Mine should be here Saturday.
Surrender means that the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the War; will be impressed by all the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision. -General Pat Cleburne, CSA
Old 06-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbassist View Post
does anyone know if they can handle full power loads, or if they're handicapped like the delta elite?
It has a ramped barrel so that is a good sign.
Surrender means that the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the War; will be impressed by all the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision. -General Pat Cleburne, CSA
Old 06-15-2017, 05:15 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
I have never had a problem shooting hot loads with by Colt Delta, maybe your thinking of a Kimber.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 PM

As an FYI for me. Does the 10mm carry any advantage over the 45acp? If just more rare and expensive ammo?
Old 06-15-2017, 06:42 PM

On my bucket list! Street price about 60% of Colt Delta Elite, and has adjustable sights to boot! Also if it needs repaired it will be a very short turn around time. Colt kept a poster on another forum's .45 for 6 months to replace firing pin stop, firing pin, firing pin spring and take his collet bushing out and replace it with a solid bushing, even though this was causing no issues. I could do the above in about 6 minutes for a prefit bushing and maybe 30 minutes if I had to fit the bushing.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbassist View Post
I got my Delta Elite in either 1988 or 89. I have put about 20,000 full power rounds through it with no problem.
I used it at Gunsite shooting 155gr fmj @ 1400 fps (handloads) to earn an Expert certificate in the 499 course. Fired over 1000 rounds in 5 and 1/2 days.

[IMG][/IMG]
Great firearm.
Keep your options open
Old 06-15-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparclan View Post
I have never had a problem shooting hot loads with by Colt Delta, maybe your thinking of a Kimber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mello2u View Post
I got my Delta Elite in either 1988 or 89. I have put about 20,000 full power rounds through it with no problem.
Delta Elites are somewhat notorious for cracked frames from full power loads. They don't use a ramped and fully supported chamber. Many have not had problems and hopefully you never will, but there's plenty of accounts of it. As I recall it's more common in the older DE's. I believe Colt did attempt to improve things in recent designs but until they supply a supported chamber it can never be as strong as others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbull46 View Post
As an FYI for me. Does the 10mm carry any advantage over the 45acp? If just more rare and expensive ammo?
It offers a wide range of loads and ballistics, from a weak .40 S&W to approaching .41 Magnum. Exceeds .357 Magnum ballistics in a semi-auto. If you're going to carry an auto in bear country, or if you intend to hunt large game with an auto pistol, it's great. For general carry and self-defense, I'd tend to favor the .45 ACP.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 PM

Thumbs up

i built a race gun out of a delta. my own comp design. running 135 grain hornady jhp at over 1500 fps. 15 to 20 k in 3 years. nooooooooo problem. even took it too the nationals in 93.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:49 PM

I have a Delta Elite in Bright Stainless. I think I will look into getting a Ruger 10mm. I was not a Ruger guy but I can appreciate the features Ruger has incorporated into their SR 1911's. I have 3 SR 1911's with sequential serial numbers. I only fired one of them. I also have a Glock 20, but this is a 1911 forum. Very nice looking gun.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:21 PM

I have had several Delta's and they are fine weapons but don't do well with factory hotter 10mm loads. Mine would always bulge the cases at the rear. I was told by Colt to shot less powerful ammo. They did not like Buffalo Bore or Double Tap at all. They said the hottest load they recommended was Winchester ST which is pretty warm and I liked it. I am not sure they still make it. Tried a Kimber Target II in 10mm and a Glock 20 which seemed to handle the hotter factory ammo better. No bulges with the Kimber and slight bulged cases with the Glock. Due to ammo cost I sold my 10mms. I do thing it is a great round and may get another one.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
Delta Elites are somewhat notorious for cracked frames from full power loads. They don't use a ramped and fully supported chamber. Many have not had problems and hopefully you never will, but there's plenty of accounts of it. As I recall it's more common in the older DE's. I believe Colt did attempt to improve things in recent designs but until they supply a supported chamber it can never be as strong as others.

It offers a wide range of loads and ballistics, from a weak .40 S&W to approaching .41 Magnum. Exceeds .357 Magnum ballistics in a semi-auto. If you're going to carry an auto in bear country, or if you intend to hunt large game with an auto pistol, it's great. For general carry and self-defense, I'd tend to favor the .45 ACP.
The very early Delta's had cracking problems so Colt corrected the problem. They are good to go.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 PM

I have been wanting a 10mm for a while now. I was set on Rock Island but now I am going to wait and see what people think of the Ruger 10mm.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 PM

I like the looks of the Ruger 10mm.
I wish Ruger didn't feel the need to put the permanent reminder to read the damned manual on their guns. But I love 10mm and that is a sharp pistol.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:19 PM

I also thought the bull barrel interesting on this pistol, but still want one.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:44 PM

It looks like something that I could see me owning.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:21 PM

There is definitely another 1911 in my future now.
Always wanted a 10 and I think this is THE one
Old 06-20-2017, 06:56 PM

Just got back from the range with my new Ruger 10mm and ran some
S&B 180 gr thru her without a hitch. I think I'm I love.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 AM

Congrats!
Get you some of that hot Underwood stuff and try it out.
Really fun!
And show us some better pics than Ruger shows us.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
The very early Delta's had cracking problems so Colt corrected the problem. They are good to go.
The area where the frames were cracking was from the slide stop pin hole up tp the top of the frame rails. Colt "fixed" that problem by just removing that steel. If it's not there it can't crack. It's not that unusual for a 1911 frame to crack in that area every once in awhile but it was happening with enough regularity on the DE's that Colt took that remedial action. That area of the frame is under alternating cycles of tension and compression as the frame flexes during the firing sequence. The fact that it was cracking often in the DE's tells me that the 10mm was exceeding the design envelope for that platform. The barrel can contain the 37,000 PSI pressures no problem but the forces exerted on the frame seem to be a bit much.

Bruce