1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-11-2017, 04:27 PM

My PT1911 and Suppressor

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen!

I am new to the forum but am hoping to find a lot of good info!

Little background, I purchased my PT1911 several years ago as a birthday gift from my wife. I have loved shooting it and have been fairly accurate with it.

About a year ago I purchased a 45 cal pistol suppressor with the intent to use it on the PT1911 and the various other pistol caliber rifles I would soon build. The suppressor came in about a month ago and only recently have I had the opportunity to bring it to the range.

I am trying to solve two issues. First the sights do not fall above the height of the suppressor. It's a suppressor that was manufactured by a local manufacturer. What options do I have for getting suppressor height sights that match the stock sight cuts? Or am I going to have to get the slide milled to fit Colt pattern sights to get suppressor height sights?

Secondly is there anything I can do in regards to muzzle report even with the suppressor attached? I have shot standard Winchester 230g ammo as well as my hand loads and both are still pretty loud. I know enough to know I'm not going to get "movie" quiet. However I want to be able to use the pistol w/o hearing protection. It works just fine on my 9mm AR using subsonic ammo.

Is that even possible? Or does the design of the 1911 not make it suitable to use with a suppressor and make it sub 100 decibels on the report?

Thanks!

Inarus
Old 06-11-2017, 06:56 PM

First of all, the .45 is always going to be louder than the 9mm when suppressed. The balance of the size of the suppressor with its efficiency and ability to allow the gun to function properly is always a trade off. As far as sights, you could affix temporary sights ON the suppressor, or higher fixed sights or a red dot on the 1911. I also believe that going sub 100dB is not possible. You can have about a 30-35 dB drop with a highly efficient .45 can, but not much more. Go on youtube and compare your suppressor and result to those displayed on the tube. Yours may or not be comparable to the best out there. You can also use handloads that put the velocity lower, and use less powder, but you will probably have to manually operate the slide, as the recoil impulse will be lessened.