My First (& Second) Build - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-03-2016, 04:25 PM

My First (& Second) Build

First off, full disclaimer...I got much more into building than taking progress pictures. I'm also better at tinkering than I am posting. Hopefully the pics aren't too confusing. Having said that, here's the shorter version of the story...

My wife has started getting into competition shooting lately. She currently shoots a commander single stack .45, but wanted something with more capacity for USPSA. I can't do things the easy way, so I decided to build it for her. She "ordered" a commander length, hi-cap framed 1911 with adjustable sights...and I was off!

I ordered a frame and slide from the guys at Caspian, a 9mm BB from Bar-sto Precision, a 4lbs hammer/sear set from Cylinder & Slide, and the remaining misc internals from EGW and Wilson Combat. As I waited for my frame, slide, and barrel to arrive, I got impatient and ordered a Foster Gov't single stack frame, a slide, and another Bar-sto barrel to start building something! I figured I'd practice on the cheaper version in case I made a mistake. I went slow and thought it all through and ended up with two very good shooting guns!

The final finish work is not done, but they both function well at this point. The first four pics are from my wife's commander. The last three are the Foster after de-horning, blending the mag-well, and then complete assembly. I put a quick coat of perma-blue just to get to the range for function testing. The final finish will be a full process rust bluing. As I finish, I'll add better photos. Enough talking for now...on to the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender-2.jpg   FullSizeRender-1.jpg   IMG_1254.JPG   IMG_1336.JPG   IMG_1233.JPG   IMG_1242.JPG  

FullSizeRender.jpg  
Old 12-03-2016, 05:29 PM

Very nice work. I recently finished my first build with a
foster frame. It was very nice. Two builds.... Nice!!

Did you get the integral plunger tube? It's hard to tell
Old 12-03-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopknockious View Post
Did you get the integral plunger tube? It's hard to tell
Yes, I did. That was just one of the tools I opted not to spend the money on when I could spend a couple bucks and have it done at Caspian.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:46 PM

Blending....

Did some work yesterday to put the final finish on blending the rear of the slide and frame on the commander build. I also cut down the guide rod to be flush on the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Blending.JPG   Spring guide.JPG   spring guide done.JPG  
Old 12-11-2016, 09:05 PM

Finish work

I spent the majority of today working on the finish for both of my builds. So far the rust bluing is working out pretty well, just slow. I only finished two "coats" today.

My advice to anyone trying it for the first time is to put 3 times as much effort into the prep as you think is required. I gave it a try a couple weeks ago and it was pretty splotchy on the first try. I stripped it down and tried again. This time I soaked all the parts in acetone, dried them, warmed them in a 250 degree oven for an hour, back into the acetone to soak for the night. Seems to have worked to get rid of all the oil residue. So far the finish is pretty even. From rusted pile of parts to the beginnings of a nice traditional finish. Just 5 or 6 more to go
Attached Thumbnails
Rusted.jpg   Blued.jpg  

Last edited by 1911 Addict; 12-11-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:23 PM

Lucky Guy!

You are both talented and lucky. Those guns look great and show your talented, your lucky because your wife likes to shoot too! I hope you both enjoy these pistols for a long time. Thanks for sharing this.

USAF 1981-1985
http://www.thewebcorner.net
Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Smith View Post
The thing is, the satisfaction you get building these fine pistols will only add to your addiction.
Thanks for the kind words Gary. About that addiction...I just picked up frame #3 to go with an orphan slide I had. This next one will be a gov't hi-cap for me so I can keep up with the wife.

BTW, any suggestions on places to source reliable hi-cap magazines?
Old 12-13-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzanghetti View Post
You are both talented and lucky.
Thanks mzanghetti. At this point I'd say it's more luck than talent, but definately fun so far!
Old 12-13-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 Addict View Post
Thanks for the kind words Gary. About that addiction...I just picked up frame #3 to go with an orphan slide I had. This next one will be a gov't hi-cap for me so I can keep up with the wife.

BTW, any suggestions on places to source reliable hi-cap magazines?
What caliber?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu929 View Post
What caliber?
The two current builds are in 9mm. Number 3 will be too. I already have a couple .45's, but am starting to tinker with some 147gr 9mm loads. Mostly just trying to find a good combo for competition. Winchester makes a 147gr 9mm round at 950fps off the shelf. During my function testing, it felt really good to shoot. A box also only cost about $1 more than I can reload the same rounds for. My time is worth the extra dollar, so I'm tuning the guns to run that round.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:24 AM

Caspian and brownells sell their mags but they are around 69 a piece for the high cap mags.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the messages

stu929... thanks for all the info. I'll check it out and give another update later on.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:34 AM

The birth of a new 1911!!!

Officially finished my first build. Wrapped up the finishing on the hi-cap commander and put her back together. Here's the first pic. I'll get out a real camera later for some better shots, but here she is....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1372.JPG  
Old 12-17-2016, 08:34 AM

I like it! I had debated doing a commander high cap but dont have anywhere to cut back my VIS locally. Do you have monster hands? The hi cap with no grips frees great but i couldnt imaging adding grips to mine.

Well done!

Does the mag catch function with the grips on? Most of my grips have a scallop for clearance but it looks like yours might hang over it a tiny bit.

Last edited by stu929; 12-17-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu929 View Post
I like it! I had debated doing a commander high cap but dont have anywhere to cut back my VIS locally. Do you have monster hands? The hi cap with no grips frees great but i couldnt imaging adding grips to mine.

Well done!

Does the mag catch function with the grips on? Most of my grips have a scallop for clearance but it looks like yours might hang over it a tiny bit.

Thanks. I planned it as a commander from the beginning, so that minimized the hang ups. I am also lucky that STI is literally about 2 miles from my house. A few of the guys that work/have worked there helped out by making recommendations or talking me through steps I wasn't quite comprehending after reading about it.

No, I don't have monster hands . This one is actually for my wife and she has average size hands. I went ahead and ordered the hi-cap grips from Caspian. Primarily because the grip screws are different than the norm. The grips are slimmer in width and thickness. So far, she has no issue with grip. Yes, the mag catch functions. No scallop cut because of the slim width, but it clears the grip by fractions of a millimeter.

I'm off to the range for sighting and accuracy testing before the temps drop tonight. More updates later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2016, 11:10 AM

Last edited by 1911 Addict; 12-17-2016 at 11:50 AM. Reason: repeat post
Old 12-21-2016, 08:31 PM

A few more pictures

Just a couple more pictures of the finished builds. My wife has already made it out to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through hers. So far so good!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1651.JPG   IMG_1652.JPG   IMG_1649.JPG   IMG_1650.JPG   IMG_1646.JPG   IMG_1647.JPG  

Old 06-19-2017, 04:58 PM

Nice work