Finally found ammo that's not 100% reliable - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-23-2004, 01:10 PM

Finally found ammo that's not 100% reliable

I have ~1800 rounds though my S&W1911. They have included steel, aluminum, nickle and brass cases, ball and hollowpoints in 200 and 230 grain, jacketed and lead, +p, just about everything but semi-wadcutters. Five people have shot it. It's never had a failure of any kind, feeding, firing and extracting until I tried Hydra-shoks this weekend: 44 rounds, two failures to feed. I was testing it for carry ammo; it's right out for my Smith. For what it's worth, your milage will vary.

Last edited by Keith Rogers; 08-23-2004 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:08 PM

I run Hydra shocks in mine. I ran 200 through it with no problems. The only ammo mine has had a problem with is Win-clean with the flat nose. Just curious, what ser number range are you? I know there was a barrel change in the 4000 to 5000 range. Mine is 01xx with one of the Briley barrels.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:11 PM

Mine hates Speer Gold Dots, a constant failure to feed with every other round. Doesn't matter all too much though as I use Rangers and Golden Sabers that feed like melted butter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2004, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strick909
I run Hydra shocks in mine. I ran 200 through it with no problems. The only ammo mine has had a problem with is Win-clean with the flat nose. Just curious, what ser number range are you? I know there was a barrel change in the 4000 to 5000 range. Mine is 01xx with one of the Briley barrels.
I was just gonna ask the same thing. I know they used Brileys in early production as well as all pc1911s. My linkless Briley in my945 eats hydrashocks for breakfast.
What does the throat look like on yours? Might just need a little tlc.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."George Washington
Old 08-23-2004, 07:58 PM

I take it by have two "stovepipes" you mean it feed them, fired, but would not fully leave the exjection port before the slide began to close again. If so it could be a number of things like low power ammo, lubrication, weak grip or some combination of these. Were you firing it weak handed?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf
I use Rangers and Golden Sabers that feed like melted butter.
These are the best feeding hollowpoints for me too. I think their rounded bullet profile has a lot to do with it.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:20 PM

S/N is 12XX. I don't know whose barrel it is.

Gary1911A1, I'm likely using the wrong term. I was waffling if I should use it or just leave the description as 'failed to feed.' {now edited to say as much} The symptom is a cartridge lodging partly stripped off the mag with nose up and failed to enter chamber, the slide stopped part way to battery. It was easy to clear by just pulling slide back a tad and letting it tilt the round down more for better alignment.

I had no problems with 130 rounds of CCI Brass and S&B both in 230FMJ ball after the Hydra-shoks. Also, my willowy daughter, 5'6", 100lbs fired half a dozen mags (all ball, though.) Any problems with weak wristing should show up with her since she has such weak forearms. She's fired the Smith in other sessions and the gun has never had a problem. Otherwise it was same cleaning before, lubes, etc.

I really do think it's some kind of incompatibility of my gun with Hydra-shoks. Oddly compared to others here, I've had no problem with the few Gold Dots I've tried: 20 200gr+P and 60 230gr. I'll give Golden Sabers a try but will stick with 230gr Gold Dots till then for defense load.

Thanks for the replies, all.

Last edited by Keith Rogers; 08-23-2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:59 AM

You might try a different magazine like Chip McCormick's Power Mags where the feed lips of the magazines open up sooner than the Wilson Mags. Sounds like a good excuse to try one of Tripps new Cobra Mags too as they are suppose to set higher in the frame. Good shooting to you and your daughter.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:13 PM

Keith, you have a Briley barrel. Try a different mag if you still have some of that ammo left. If it is a mag issue, Wilson will trade it out for free. So will S&W. Either way, you get a replacement at no charge. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:44 AM

Strick and Gary, thanks for the replies. I have 16 of the Hydra-shoks left and if averages work out I'll get a fail-to-feed in that lot. I have 4 Wilson 47D mags, the two from the initial purchase and 2 others. I would be concerned about fixing this situation if it happened on all HP cartridges. Since I have many alternatives, some of which have proven entirely reliable, I may or may not get around to adjusting the feed ramp for H-shoks. Thanks again, KR.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:35 PM

Let us know how it works out.
Good luck