It WILL happen, thanks to Lew Horton Distributors! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-18-2004, 10:29 PM

It WILL happen, thanks to Lew Horton Distributors!

Some time in the future, Lew Horton will be having a "limited run" of, dare I say it, a S&W 1911...in 10mm Automatic! Lew and his people have been hounding the people at Springfield since they introduced the pistol in .45 ACP. For the past 12 months the "hue and cry" has gone up for the S&W 1911 to be chambered in this cartridge. It will come to pass in the relatively near future!

The folks at Lew Horton said so, and I believe them!

Scott
Old 08-18-2004, 10:57 PM

I wish they'd make it in 9 mm

I would love to get a S&W191 in 9 mm... Any rumors on that?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:06 PM

They can't make a 45 what do you want with thier 9 or 10!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 11:51 PM

I'd rather it was a PC gun. Is it going to be? I'd love a PC1911 in 10mm. Even a 945 in 10 would do. They say when this miracle will take place? "Soon" is a little vauge.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."George Washington
Old 08-19-2004, 01:08 AM

This is coming from Lew Horton

They are ordering this on their dime. It will not be a PC pistol. I spoke to the technician at Lew Horton today. He stated that it would be done, at their leisure, after their current run of 1911's in .45 ACP were finished.

I have no time frame for this pistol, I DO, however, know that it WILL happen.

Scott
Old 08-19-2004, 12:06 PM

Hardball1911,

Why are you here?
Old 08-19-2004, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery Goodschot
Hardball1911,

Why are you here?
He is entitled to his opinion as is every citizen of this great nation, but if he has nothing constructive to say, I too wish he'd take his criticisms elswhere.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."George Washington
Old 08-19-2004, 03:11 PM

AG,

I see you're in the same area as CR. He's a great guy tell him I said Hi. As far as why I'm here; I thought I could be any where on the board.

I know there is a lot of demand for the 10mm, which I think is great as I have several different brands. C, DW, G, LA etc. Sorry if I ofended anyone. OUT
Old 08-21-2004, 11:33 AM

Perhaps, rather than slam Hardball, it might be better to simply ask him why he feels this way about the SW? Just a thought...
Old 08-21-2004, 07:32 PM

No slams intended Dave. Ok Hardball, Where's..No.. What's the beef? You have a Smith your not fond of? I love mine. Never had a lick o trouble with em.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:05 PM

Another 10MM would be good. I hope their external extractor can hold up to the increased slide speed that the 10MM will likely lead to. Given S&W engineering experience maybe they can come up with something to make a 10MM in 1911 work even better. Hey, I can dream .
Old 08-22-2004, 01:35 AM

First off let me say I like my S&W relovers I have 8 or 9 of them and my 1006. Don't like the looks of the logo on thier 1911's, they look child like (a toy gun). The ones I've shot weren't very tight and didn't have the feel of other 1911. They, like Sig's "GSR models" appear to have run to production without providing a 1911 that is as least as dependable as a Kimber. S&W have made a great many great semi's over the years and could have brought out something special like Sig tried to do, but as far as I'm concerned they did'nt. I'm ashamed to say how many 1911 I have, but I won't have a S&W or a SA 1911, I just don't like them.

As far as I'm concerned If you wan't a great 10mm get a Dan Wesson Razorback. I have one and yes they had some problems but they fixed them and there great 10mm.

PS, S&W model 41 is considered a great gun by most, mine was a PofJ, went back five times and they never could fix it. But I still buy some Smith's. Just not 1911.

Thanks for asking me back. Hardball1911

Last edited by Hardball1911; 08-23-2004 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:57 AM

And thank you sir for your civil reply. I too have had some very nice Smith revolvers and have heard great things about the 1006. I may even buy one someday.
I don't think anyone likes the bill board laser etching on the 1911s. I KNOW I DON'T. That is partly why I bought the Performance Center version. No big logos to detract from its appearance. Mostly though I bought it because A: I wanted a 1911 in 45acp that was as well built and reliable as my 945s. Smith has made a 45 in the past that IMO is the best of the best. My full size 945 will run circles around ANY semi-auto I've ever owned or shot. Not to mention the fit and finish is as close to "Work of art" as you can buy in a firearm.
As soon as I handled the PC1911 I knew I'd buy it because it had the same feel and look of top quality about it as the 945.
I look at the others this way: If they're S&W they'll function as they should or S&W will fix it on their dime. No shipping, no hassle, no B.S. Anything else is pure cosmetics and can be changed to suit the individuals desires.
Now if we can convince them to stop carving holes in the side of perfectly good revolvers we may have something. I'd love a m60-10 but refuse to buy a gun with a built in lock. That's why you'll never see me with a springer either. At least we agree on one thing.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardball1911
The ones I've shoot weren't very tight and didn't have the feel of other 1911. They, like Sig's "GSR models" appear to have run to production without providing a 1911 that is as least as dependable as a Kimber.
I don't know what kind of rattle trap SW1911 you fired that wasn't tight, but mine and every other SW1911 I have ever seen has been VERY tight. And as far as not "feeling" like a 1911, well that's nuts. I own a Kimber that is not as well finished as the S&W, nor is it as trouble free. (It fails to lock the slide back on the last round at times.) It is also not as tight. And with over 5000 rounds through my SW1911 with only 3 FTF do to crap ammo, I would say it is WAY more dependable than most Kimbers out there.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strick909
I don't know what kind of rattle trap SW1911 you fired that wasn't tight, but mine and every other SW1911 I have ever seen has been VERY tight. And as far as not "feeling" like a 1911, well that's nuts. I own a Kimber that is not as well finished as the S&W, nor is it as trouble free. (It fails to lock the slide back on the last round at times.) It is also not as tight. And with over 5000 rounds through my SW1911 with only 3 FTF do to crap ammo, I would say it is WAY more dependable than most Kimbers out there.
You can say what you want about Kimber but I've never seen a new one with a bad finish. As far as the slide locking back on the last round try some new spirngs or a different mag. I sure wouldn't call three bad rounds out of 5,000 cxxx ammo.

I'm glad you like your SW1911. That leaves more of the others for me.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:32 PM

Hardball,
My ammo issue was with Winchester Win-clean with the flat nose on it. I fired 100 rounds with three FTF (3% failure rate) I know it does not sound like much, but it is the only problem I have ever had with mine. I do agree that Kimber makes a fine pistol. My issues with my Kimber are with the slide stop and not the mag. Kimber should be sending a replacement soon.
I am truly sorry that you found issues with the SW1911. Maybe we can find a member in AR with one he can let you shoot. Or if you ever make it to Houston, I'll let you shoot mine!
BTW, you can't have all the other 1911s, I am picking up another Colt this year (NRM 1991) and maybe another Kimber (25th Annv) (Series I!!) and the new SW1911-Sc. I told my wife I will stop buying 1911s when she stops buying shoes.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:52 PM

Strick909

Hey Guy,

Thanks for the great reply. For some reason Kimber has never gotten the word that on 9, 10 and 38 supers it takes a different cut on the slide release. You might want to try one of Wilson's for the 38 super.

I saw the other day a poll for the Smith 1911 and it looker very good compaired to what I have seen before.

Where has everyone gone? There doesen't appear to be as many post as there used to be.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardball1911

Where has everyone gone? There doesen't appear to be as many post as there used to be.
Some people just drift in and out between forums. I try to post here every few days myself. Now, with the rumors of new S&W models coming out at the SHOT show, I'll be around here often to stir the pot