Things that make you go huh! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 06:03 PM

Things that make you go huh!

Does anyone bother with trimming 45 ACP brass. I often wonder about accuracy. I also wonder, is there any difference in quality between good American Brands and ok import stuff like PMC or SB
Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 PM

So far I haven't seen a need to trim my 9, 38 or 357's ... they just don't seem to 'grow' like rifle brass does.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:55 PM

I have a trimmer, I have measured 45 brass. I am not shooting competition, just range shooting and I have never had a reason. I do not have a progressive press, and I have been just fine for the last 5 or 6 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 07:28 PM

I've been reloading since 1976, and I have never trimmed a semiauto round in any caliber. It has not been necessary. For revolvers, it's a different story.

PMC is good, high quality ammo. Although I rarely shoot factory ammo, the PMC that I have shot has all been good stuff; at least as good as Federal, Winchester or Remington. S&B has also been quality ammo in my experience. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any familiar brand, brass cased ammo. I may be more hesitant to shoot some of the obscure, weird branded steel cased stuff.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:04 PM

I wish I had a link. But I saw where a fella on this forum did a pretty thorough write up on how various case preparations effected accuracy with 45acp.

It appeared that trimming cases to a consistent length actually caused accuracy to degrade. Wish I could find it. I don't remember too many details.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

I don't trim 45acp cases. 99.99% of reloaders don't. Not necessary. Does not improve accuracy.

You ask about quality difference between American brands and imported stuff. I'm going to assume you mean brass 45acp cases, since this is a reloading sub-forum and no one here shoots factory ammo () I have not found any quality difference among all the brands of 45acp brass that I've encountered.....except AMERC, which is poor quality IMHO.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-27-2017, 12:00 AM

Exactly.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 PM

I'm a rifle bench rest shooter, I trim my rifle brass to the same length every firing. 45auto is a different animal , thanks to the people in this forum steered me in the right direction. 99.9% of the brass never has to be trimmed, headspace is measured from the case mouth. I remove the bell to match the OD of the case with the seated bullet no more or less.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:46 AM

I don't trim anything except rifle brass or maybe 44/357/38 (revolver brass batches do get checked & trimmed before initial reloading).

No trimming at all for pistol brass.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 04-12-2017, 01:26 PM

Thanks you guy's.
A couple of thoughts. Since the case in a 1911, rests on the case mouth, overall length changes the headspace allowing the cartridge to blow back. Also if you cut a case to .888 (sometimes a lot) you have to be changing the pressure since the bullet is set to the same depth each round. I have been finding a lot of variation in brass casings.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:04 AM

Only issue I find with varying case lengths is that the amount of belling can change a little as a result. I try to bell as little as possible to reduce working the brass so occasionally I have a fussy bullet seating on the press.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:53 AM

I find that using consistent head stamps helps with consistency. I usually don't use tulammo brass and pretty much stick with big name stuff. That seems to be more effective than measuring and trimming. The more I stray in case stamps, the more the batch varies.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by callum View Post
Thanks you guy's.
A couple of thoughts. Since the case in a 1911, rests on the case mouth, overall length changes the headspace allowing the cartridge to blow back. Also if you cut a case to .888 (sometimes a lot) you have to be changing the pressure since the bullet is set to the same depth each round. I have been finding a lot of variation in brass casings.
You're not seeing this in the right way. The cartridge overall length is set by the dimension from the base of the case to the tip of the bullet. The case length has no bearing on OAL. A shorter or longer OAL for a given round just means the bullet is seated deeper or farther out. The dimension from the case mouth to the bullet tip can (and will) vary with varying OAL's.

Internal case volume (and subsequent internal combustion pressure) will vary with a given bullet size and seating depth (OAL). But, is independent of case length.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-13-2017, 10:28 AM

I would think that IF you use the same brass (Headstamp) as shown in the reloading guide you choose to use and IF you use the OAL the guide lists, your pressures should be the same or very close to the same as the guide lists regardless of case length.

IF you use a different headstamp (brand of brass) but keep the OAL listed in the guide there should be a minimal difference in pressure. When speaking about .45acp loads, I doubt there will be a noticeable difference.

Just my $0.02
Grumpy

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Old 04-13-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
I have not found any quality difference among all the brands of 45acp brass that I've encountered.....except AMERC, which is poor quality IMHO.
same here.

with 9 and 40, i am a bit more picky, and there are many brands like cbc, s&b, gfl that are a pain to reload (tight primer pockets, for example). But even those brands seem to work just fine in 45.

but not AMERC. throw away.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:51 PM

I'd check your case length ~once~. I ordered Armscor in .38 Super by mail, and bought it at Cabelas and the case length differed by about 1/8". Enough that I screwed up cases when crimping the longer ones. So I trimmed all of the longer ones to the shorter length and haven't touched them since.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post
i've been reloading since 1976, and i have never trimmed a semiauto round in any caliber. It has not been necessary. For revolvers, it's a different story.

Pmc is good, high quality ammo. Although i rarely shoot factory ammo, the pmc that i have shot has all been good stuff; at least as good as federal, winchester or remington. S&b has also been quality ammo in my experience. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any familiar brand, brass cased ammo. I may be more hesitant to shoot some of the obscure, weird branded steel cased stuff.
+1
Old 04-14-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimaru42 View Post
I'd check your case length ~once~. I ordered Armscor in .38 Super by mail, and bought it at Cabelas and the case length differed by about 1/8". Enough that I screwed up cases when crimping the longer ones. So I trimmed all of the longer ones to the shorter length and haven't touched them since.
I was reloading 44 Special and I do it in batches. I had once used WW brass and on the bench I had RP that had been used 10x. The RP got in with WW so the that was a bad run. Likely the case length was o.125 too long n the RP.

It would not make a difference if I loaded the RP separately.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:31 PM

I pitch AMERC but load about anything else. Some military primers are crimped and benefit from a little primer pocket grooming. You may experience tight primer pockets in several headstamps such as S&B, Winchester, Herters, and perhaps a few others. That can be cured quite easily with a little attention to the pockets.

I have never trimmed a 45 Auto case.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callum View Post
Thanks you guy's.
Starline is absolutely amazing as far as consistency. In my opinion - It just doesn't get any better than them.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:05 PM

Not entirely scientific but I had to provide myself some data on brass length in .45ACP.

Spec is for a length not to exceed .898 in. I have spot checked over the years at least 100 new cases and loaded ammo of at least 8 different headstamps; the longest case I ever measured was .892, the shortest .878 and most are about .885 as was most of the several different factory rounds. Could these cases that are not headspacing on the case mouth as designed be affecting accuracy?

I don't have go no-go gauges but I made some out of .45 Win Mag. My Para Ordnance P-13 barrel barely closed on .920, which is right at max spec. My Colt 70 series Gold Cup was a bit better at .907. Both well over spec. No surprise there to assuage the lawyers. But that meant that most of my ammo was (.920-.885=) 35 thou short of headspacing on the case mouth. This is supposed to be bad for accuracy and extractor longevity.

So I took some of the Win Mag brass and loaded 10 rounds each with brass at .920 and another 10 with brass at .885. All other variables were as identical as I am capable of handloading. I used cannelured hollow point jacketed bullets and crimped into the cannelure. Of course that means the OAL and therefore the case capacity was different. (I told you not entirely scientific). I didn't care about velocity, just seeing if there was a gross difference in group size.

There was not. In fact while the group sizes were nearly identical, my friend and fellow shooter thought the group with the shorter brass was better in that it was roundish and the long brass group was more T shaped.

I have a bunch of Win Mag brass that I collected with the expectation that rounds headspacing properly on the case mouth would indeed be more accurate, but thus far have not been able to prove it, and I will do more testing.

As usual, YMMV.

Jeff
Old 04-15-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
I don't trim 45acp cases. 99.99% of reloaders don't. Not necessary. Does not improve accuracy.

You ask about quality difference between American brands and imported stuff. I'm going to assume you mean brass 45acp cases, since this is a reloading sub-forum and no one here shoots factory ammo () I have not found any quality difference among all the brands of 45acp brass that I've encountered.....except AMERC, which is poor quality IMHO.
I think Rod is rolling his eyes at me cause I can't keep my mouth shut on the Ammo Can with continuous preaching about the virtues of reloading.

Anyway, no need to trim .45, ever! PMC is good stuff!
Old 04-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Browning Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjmr View Post
Not entirely scientific but I had to provide myself some data on brass length in .45ACP.

Spec is for a length not to exceed .898 in. I have spot checked over the years at least 100 new cases and loaded ammo of at least 8 different headstamps; the longest case I ever measured was .892, the shortest .878 and most are about .885 as was most of the several different factory rounds. Could these cases that are not headspacing on the case mouth as designed be affecting accuracy?

I don't have go no-go gauges but I made some out of .45 Win Mag. My Para Ordnance P-13 barrel barely closed on .920, which is right at max spec. My Colt 70 series Gold Cup was a bit better at .907. Both well over spec. No surprise there to assuage the lawyers. But that meant that most of my ammo was (.920-.885=) 35 thou short of headspacing on the case mouth. This is supposed to be bad for accuracy and extractor longevity.

So I took some of the Win Mag brass and loaded 10 rounds each with brass at .920 and another 10 with brass at .885. All other variables were as identical as I am capable of handloading. I used cannelured hollow point jacketed bullets and crimped into the cannelure. Of course that means the OAL and therefore the case capacity was different. (I told you not entirely scientific). I didn't care about velocity, just seeing if there was a gross difference in group size.

There was not. In fact while the group sizes were nearly identical, my friend and fellow shooter thought the group with the shorter brass was better in that it was roundish and the long brass group was more T shaped.

I have a bunch of Win Mag brass that I collected with the expectation that rounds headspacing properly on the case mouth would indeed be more accurate, but thus far have not been able to prove it, and I will do more testing.

As usual, YMMV.

Jeff
I think you guys are proving that J.M. Browning was truly inspired when he designed the 1911 and the 45 ACP cartridge. A gun design that if well made is both reliable and accurate, coupled with a cartridge, that while now the most powerful, is also dependable and accurate. With your foray into case length effects on accuracy you are proving that some things just don't matter when you have a good place to start from.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:14 PM

Never had the need to trim any semi auto brass. 9mm, .38 Super, .45ACP...even after 10 or more reloadings...just didn't grow long enough.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-18-2017, 07:13 PM

I only reload handgun ammo - 45ACP, 380ACP and 9mm - I never trimmed any and I've had no issues.