Delta Elite bulging brass. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 01:59 AM

Delta Elite bulging brass.

I recently purchased a Delta elite, finally got to the range yesterday. After a few rounds we noticed some of the casing were bulging, Armscor 180 grain. We switched to Remington 180 grain and no more noticeable bulging. First we thought it might just be the cheaper Armscor ammo had thinner or softer brass. Remington's ammo is nickel plated which might have helped stiffen it. We then tried the Armscor ammo in a Rockisland 10mm 1911 with no bulging. Now I know the Delta Elite doesn't have a feed ramp while the rockisland does. The delta elite doesn't offer as much chamber support. Now after looking into it I'm finding a mix of its expected of the Delta Elite to don't fire it take it to a gun smith. Colts costumer support is closed on the weekends so I figured I would ask here. I wont be firing it again until I know its safe.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:40 AM

You might check out the 10mm fire arms forums. Lots of good info about 10mm there.

http://10mm-firearms.com/
Old 03-26-2017, 11:27 AM

Was the Delta Elite purchased new, or second hand ?
If it was purchased second hand, the previous owner may have "Bubbaed" the barrel throat & took out too much material.
If purchased new, contact Colt about the problem.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 01:28 PM

Is it bulging the brass all the way around base of case or just on the bottom part that's unsupported when chambered?
COTEP#782
Old 03-26-2017, 09:16 PM

The gun is new. The bulging is happening all the way around, I would think it should only be happening on the underside where it isnt supported. I have a friend digging through the brass from Friday to see if we collected any. I didn't think to grab a pic. Currently I'm thinking it might be to light of a recoil spring. I wanted to get another opinion. I'm trying to load an image of the barrel with a round in it so people can see how it sits but its not working for some reason.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:58 PM

Battle of the Bulge

I don't think the "bulging" is all that unusual actually. Depending upon the amount of "bulge". If you use a dial indicator (a caliper will likely not have the resolution you want) you are likely to find it isn't bulged all that far actually. I've seen this on occasion and found that if I resize during reloads, it happens less (same cases). I think sometimes the case OD can be different for different runs of ammo. The chamber has some variance with the 1911 frame as well and the chamber can be near the outside limit of these values yet still be within spec. You may want to check the chamber ID or have a competent gunsmith or engineer do it for you. Inside indicator sets are expensive. I am going to make a bet that your chamber is on the large side of limits while still safe and within factory specifications. Just my 1.3 cents.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:40 AM

Oh, that was worth at least a quarter.........
Old 03-27-2017, 02:35 AM

FWIW, I had a Delta. Some of the ammo I used was the original Norma 200 grains at 1200 FPS, 170 grain at 1300 FPS and equivalent reloads. Thankfully, 10MM brass is well constructed and I never had a case actually let go. But, my Delta had the poorest case head support of any of the several types of 10MMs I've owned. I like Colts, but were I buying a new 10MM 1911, I would definitely purchase one of the types with a ramped barrel. My Kimber, and several non-1911 S&Ws had excellent case head support. Certainly, no matter how well supported, all ammo will expand some on firing. But actual bulged brass, or concerns about a case letting go, were not an issue with any of the pistols with ramped barrels. I've seen mention of an admonition by one of the "Boutique" ammo manufacturers warning against use of some of their loads in the Delta.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 AM

any pics?
I'm curious to see if it's a some bulge or closer to a "smile" nearing blowout

.L.T.A.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 AM

This gets my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
I don't think the "bulging" is all that unusual actually. Depending upon the amount of "bulge". If you use a dial indicator (a caliper will likely not have the resolution you want) you are likely to find it isn't bulged all that far actually. I've seen this on occasion and found that if I resize during reloads, it happens less (same cases). I think sometimes the case OD can be different for different runs of ammo. The chamber has some variance with the 1911 frame as well and the chamber can be near the outside limit of these values yet still be within spec. You may want to check the chamber ID or have a competent gunsmith or engineer do it for you. Inside indicator sets are expensive. I am going to make a bet that your chamber is on the large side of limits while still safe and within factory specifications. Just my 1.3 cents.
I would bet on the same thing.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:47 PM

I shot a bunch of that Norma ammo in an original blued Delta and I think it all bulged! I'd resize and reload it shooting a fairly hot load of 180 grain Hornadys and HS-6, IIRC.

Until I sectioned some cases! At the front of the bulge, at the transition between straight case and bulge it would look like the case was actually starting to shear!!

I stopped using the Norma loads and toned down my handloads! I never had one let go, and that's an experience I can do without. I use Star Line brass now, and I wonder if it is any heavier than the Norma and Remington stuff I used to shoot.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:07 PM

.40 S&W also bulges toward the bottom of the case. I just took my recently purchased DE to the range last week and noticed the bulge at the base of the 10mm brass as well. I was shooting SIG Elite Performance ammo, which is fairly hot 10mm ball ammo (1225 fps / 625 lb ft energy). You should do your own research, but I don't think you are in as much trouble as you think. I've seen people shoot some pretty heavy hitting rounds from Underwood, Buffalo Bore, etc from the DE without issue. That said, I would use caution when reloading. Virgin brass might be strong enough for the unsupported chamber, but who knows how many times it can be shot before it lets go!
SIG Nightmare .357
Old 03-28-2017, 11:00 PM

To me it's the fault or laziness of Colt not willing to change. I love Colt as much as anyone, I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but as a safty measure they should use a fully supported chamber, no excuse imo. I would just feel a lot safer knowing they used a fully supported barrel on a round like the 10mm. My hand, my gun, or my life shouldn't depend on if a single piece of brass holds together or not. That said, I ordered a new delta recently, I love the looks and can't believe I haven't gotten one before now. And there's always Wilson barrels, I just hate to alter or cut on a new Colt.

Last edited by casscad; 03-28-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 PM

I have the '16 DE refresh, and don't find much bulging at all with factory ammo - now I'm talking about stuff rated 1250 or below, ie Sig, Federal Premium, etc - NOT Underwood, DoubleTap, and other boutique 10mm artillery rounds . All of my normal handloads do not bulge as well, all Starline brass. In fact, the only load I've been able to create any significant bulge in my DE was an well above max load of AA9. I've run 180's over 1300 and 200's over 1200 without bulging, all virgin starline brass and WLP with the various popular 10mm powders like Blue Dot, Longshot, AA9, etc.

Last edited by 78Staff; 03-28-2017 at 11:55 PM.