A little off the wall but - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-03-2015, 08:57 PM

A little off the wall but

I was thinking that if my son or son-in-law was to end up with my reloading equipment they would not have any idea what it is or what to do with it.

So I got thinking about making a video (or someone) starting with what all the equipment is, what powder is in the cabinet and the different in primers. How to use a reloading manual. After that a step by step video on the reloading process of both hand guns and rifles.

I am not sure if there is anything out there to the extent I am think of. That type of video would be great for any one that is new to reloading and does not have anybody to teach them. And YES I know that there are YouTube videos out there but it is not in that much detail.

How about it some of the more experience reloaders out there. Interested in being on camera?

I know that I am knotright
Old 03-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Banned

Why wait until you die before getting them into it,... ??/ or something like that.

Take your S-I-L out shooting and teach him the joys of reloading now?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post
I was thinking that if my son or son-in-law was to end up with my reloading equipment they would not have any idea what it is or what to do with it.
If that's the case, Knot, then I think the best thing you could do for them is give them an appx value of the stuff for when they sell it.

if they have zero knowledge of what it is, or what it's used for, it's quite unlikely they'll need a vid on how to use what they have no use for

..L.T.A.
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 PM

Earl, I would love to teach them but one is 300 miles away in Atlanta and the other is 650 miles away in Baltimore. I am even putting my guns into a Gun Trust because I can not give them to my son in Baltimore.

Cappi, I do not want to know what I have invested. More so, I do not want the wife to know even if I am gone. I want a good funeral and if she found out that might not happen. Not planning on going any were anytime soon.

Last edited by KnotRight; 03-03-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:28 PM

As someone who does not load but has often been intrigued about it, there is always a couple of things that I haven't been able to completely get over yet to jump in. 1) the upfront cost (as mentioned above) not the entry level items but the better than items... and 2) someone to actually learn from and teach. I have even reviewed various manuals and understand the concept but to be taught is that much better of a learning experience for me personally. I would be interested in the final product for sure. Agree the you tube videos I have seen and either not well done or leave me with not enough information to make the jump. So yes make what your thinking because there are strangers out here that would watch.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:48 AM

There isn't anything you are thinking of doing that hasn't already been posted on YouTube.

Reloading is not rocket science, but is it all about quality control.

I had someone teach me.

I started on a single stage press, which taught me the nuances of each step.

Then as I got cranking out more with a progressive press there are just little hiccups that one has to know when to pause and readjust things as needed.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl o Sammich View Post
Why wait until you die before getting them into it,... ??/ or something like that.
Agreed. No time like the present. You may even discover you like the guy!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:38 AM

Guns and reloading equipment.....

If your siblings or others that stand to inherit your guns and gear are not interested in shooting or reloading, it is a moot point. Once you pass, whoever gets your firearms and reloading equipment may never use you prized possessions and may end up selling them....

If you can somehow get them interested in guns and reloading before you pass, that would be the ideal scenario.....
Old 03-04-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
Agreed. No time like the present. You may even discover you like the guy!
1) Knot said they are 300 and 650 miles away.

2) It sounds like no one is interested and
Quote:
"they would not have any idea what it is or what to do with it.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:50 AM

I'm guessing there is no possibility of getting them down for a lesson? Sounds like good bonding time to me.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:45 AM

My son is 12. He already knows how to load shotgun shells on my old Lee loader and I'm currently showing him step by step how to load 38's on my old single stage press.

After that...I'll teach him how to run the Dillon 550.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:53 AM

OP,

I think you have a fantastic idea! How wonderful it would be to watch. Even if I had no interest in reloading. It would be priceless to me.

Do it and please share the story with us as you progress.

Adamg247
US Navy (Ret), Oath Keeper.
"United States Navy - "The Sea is Ours"
Old 03-04-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post
I am even putting my guns into a Gun Trust because I can not give them to my son in Baltimore.
Are you absolutely certain about this? I live in the liberal, anti-gun state of Maryland. As long as your son has the Maryland HQL, I don't see why he cannot take them. Unless it's a Baltimore City limits thing I don't know about. Wouldn't take me long to find out for certain. I know the folks in the MD Firearms Division.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

KnotRight, I think you have an outstanding idea. I would be glad to help in any way I could, as long as it's behind the camera.

It would be super great if you could get NickA and TheGerk to be the on-camera instructors.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 PM

In the mid 90s I worked in Italy. A friends father passed away and I was at the gathering after the funeral. The father had been a wood worker, making doors, railings, etc. The first floor shop had tons of great wood, tools and machinery. The next time I visited it was all gone. The son was in the mainframe computer industry and had no interest in wood. I wept thinking of all the stuff that could have been made with the wood.

To me, if the boys have not shown an interest by now they won't after you no longer need the stuff. Donate to a local gun club or other shooting organization. They could sell it and use the proceeds.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 PM

I agree it sounds like a great idea. My dad died when I was nine and I think it would be cool to have a video of him trying to teach me something...even if I had no interest in the information of the video.

And you never know it might be a treasure for your grand kids or great grand kids in the future if you have them.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 PM

You can send your equipment to me and I'll take good care of it and put it to use.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
You can send your equipment to me and I'll take good care of it and put it to use.
I'll second that lol

If there not interested there may not be a point! However it's worth trying!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:44 PM

I am going to do the video if I can figure out how to video and edit it. Putting my thoughts in some type of floor mat to make it easier to follow.

I do think that my kids would be interested in learning how to reload but never had any interest in it when I was reloading 25 years ago. Not sure how many 5 year olds would sit watching you reload. And yes there is a bunch on YouTube about reloading but try to find one that explains everything from start to finish. Including the different equipment used. Hell I really did not realized all the different things that are on the bench.

Also, I have gotten some PM saying that they do not reload but would love to see the whole process. Even have some friends that shoot and never reload would like to come over and watch. I just wish that I had 1/2 the knowledge that some of the members here has. That would be priceless.

If you think it is a waste of time, that is OK, it is my time.

Now if I can find some help with the editing this might just happen.