The Grand Negligent Discharge Thread - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you had an AD or ND? At what age?
No 133 53.85%
3-10 1 0.40%
11-20 28 11.34%
21-30 30 12.15%
31-40 23 9.31%
41-50 14 5.67%
51-60 16 6.48%
61-70 10 4.05%
71-80 2 0.81%
81 or older 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:23 PM

The Grand Negligent Discharge Thread

I was given a Remington 552 Speedmaster Deluxe as a young teen. Squirrel slayer extraordinaire. For those unfamiliar, the ejection port was fitted with a shroud to deflect the brass forward as a courtesy to the person on the operator's right. Tube magazine semi-auto .22 LR...

The deflector shroud made it very difficult to see into the chamber. (This is known as foreshadowing)

My father had a quasi-understanding of engineering principles, and conveyed to me that he was concerned about springs "taking a set." I've since learned that cyclic life is the concern for springs, and only antiques and abused equipment have springs that yield during normal use.

I got into the habit of dry-firing this rifle after unloading it.

You guessed it: one day, when I was about 16 or so, I was unloading it just outside the house. I pointed it up in the air to "lower the firing pin" and spare the precious striker spring. There were several people nearby, and animals. My dad, maybe my sister, I don't remember. The gun was pointed in the general direction of the barn when it went off.

Everybody looked to me, I suppose to explain the nature of a crisis so severe and imminent that it necessitated discharging my rifle without giving them advance warning to cover their ears, hold onto the animals, etc. All they saw on my face was a look of shock - and so they knew.

I am curious what percentage of us have experienced this. Two of my friends have.

Have you had an accidental or negligent discharge?

If so, how old were you when it happened?

Last edited by JMB_fan_#45; 12-23-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Added a period
Old 12-23-2014, 11:36 PM

One of my friends had one that falls some where in between negligent and accidental. He kept his home defense 20 gauge shotgun in a far corner of his closet. One day he was bent over rummaging through stuff on the floor of the closet. He spotted the shotgun, which had been there some time, picked it up, and then just set it back down on its butt with a thud. He said it wasn't much, but for his inertial firing pin, it was enough. It went off right next to his head. He was in shock and deaf for a bit, and then he patched the hole in his roof.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:37 PM

I've had an accidental discharge with a Thompson Center Contender. I friend bought a used Thompson Center Contender in .44 magnum and asked if I wanted to go shoot it knowing that I reloaded .44 magnum and would bring the ammunition.

He gave me the "honor" of shooting the gun for the first time as I brought the ammunition. I loaded the gun, closed it and - it went off as it was closed.

I was pointing the gun at the ground as I was closing it and the bullet hit the ground about 4-feet in front of where we were standing. I unloaded the spent case took off my hearing protection and carefully closed the gun again and could hear a very faint "click" - which I assumed was the firing pin releasing.

We very carefully tested the gun with one more round and got exactly the same result - the gun discharged when it was snapped closed.

The gun was taken to a gunsmith who determined that the previous owner had modified the trigger action to the point of making it unsafe. He called Thompson Center who provided new parts that the gunsmith installed and the gun worked perfectly after being returned to factory condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 11:42 PM

18 minutes in we're at 50%...
Old 12-23-2014, 11:56 PM

about 14, got my first deer rifle, a marlin 30-30, and was loading and unloading it in the living room, messing with the half cock, and let the hammer slip, and sent one thru the living room wall
I was the only one home, so no injuries, but learned a lesson, that's stayed with me the last 35 years
Old 12-24-2014, 01:14 AM

About two years ago I was sitting in my garage admiring my cimmaron single action revolver in (long colt) and had the hammer back on a live round and pulled the trigger. The hollow point went thru my two walls one was dry wall one was the tin and ended up who knows where. About a month after that my buddy had his 30 30 In my garage racked the lever action and bang it went. Right thru my ceiling haha. So needless to say NO firearms in my garage anymore haha.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:36 AM

Gave my buddy an unloaded 1911 to fingerbang. He gave me back the same gun with one in the chamber. Didn't press check and shot a hole through my mattress when I thought I was just dropping the hammer.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:42 AM
Banned

Taking into account computer literacy of the different age brackets?
Old 12-24-2014, 01:44 AM

Location: Where we know we belong to the land, and the land we belong to is grand.
Fodder for the enemy. I won't participate. No offense .............
Old 12-24-2014, 02:58 AM

Never had, yet.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:03 AM

I marked the 41-50 NG's. I've had at least 40, maybe even over 50 NG's I'm not sure honestly, it's hard to keep track of all of them, wait, are you taking a year or?.... Oh wait... Uhhhh, never mind.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:53 AM

Never had a NG. Maybe I learned early as a kid from a good trainor (my father, gun appreciationist and retired LEO). Or maybe I have been lucky. I will say though that I racked my AK a few months ago and forgot I had one chambered... It ejected and flew across sideways and hit my wife in the head 6 feet away. Yeah, needless to say, that did not go over well at all.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:01 AM

This is a great poll. Well thought out and simple. A meaningful Pareto. Looks like the "invincible years own it thus far.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
.......I will say though that I racked my AK a few months ago and forgot I had one chambered... It ejected and flew across sideways and hit my wife in the head 6 feet away. Yeah, needless to say, that did not go over well at all.
Bwahahahaha!

Sorry buddy but the visual is too funny !! Wish there was video Hahahaha!

Ya know, your not that far away, maybe I should let the wife tell me the story

Last edited by Johnny handgun; 12-24-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:34 AM

Also, on the 81+ age, they may have..... But can't remember
Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 AM

20 year old know it all kid ..DRUNK thumbing the hammer on a known loaded 357mag
put one thru the wall...if the ND would happened a split second sooner, it would hit my wife.
I had the presence of mind to check on the neighbor ..no harm.
The bullet exited at a angle that sent it over the neighbor's trailer and into a empty field

remained an alkie till 33, but never handled firearms again while under the influence

..L.T.A.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:02 AM

A friend of mine heard something go "bump" in the night and grabbed his SG out of the closet. To prove to his wife the SG wasn't loaded, he pointed at the bed and pulled the trigger. It went off blowing a hole through the mattress.

His wife was in bed at the time.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:03 AM

This one time, at Ranger School, stupid me was assigned to haul the M60 for an afternoon. My excuse is that I was hungry and sleep-deprived, and forgot that the thing fires from an open bolt. So, when I treated it just like a rifle, locked the bolt to the rear, laid the blanks beneath the feed tray, and let the bolt go forward...

...well, suffice it to say there was a loud noise, a lot of shocked Ranger students, and a slow smile spreading across the RI's face. He didn't drop me from the course, but instead made me low-crawl through some mud and rocks. With the gun.

Low crawling with an M60 is a good deterrent to make sure that future NDs are unlikely.

In Kosovo, we had a JAG captain do an ND into the clearing barrel. Gravel from the barrel sprayed everywhere, including into the face of a little Albanian girl standing nearby. Her eye was hurt. Every one of us wanted to shoot the lawyer, who got out of there fast.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:17 AM

guess these count too

two "unintentional" discharges have happened in the last 10 years.

one happened after shooting 100+ rnds of fast action drills with a striker fired pistol .
Finished those drills then grabbed my Gold Cup w/3 pound trigger.
staging the trigger on the way up to target I put one in the dirt at the bottom of the target

the other was a hammer follow discharge while loading.
Pushing the envelope (a little too far) of hammer/sear work, i failed to do hammer follow safety checks properly. and thought i was good to go.
Out to my range I go.and and surprise!!!

fortunately, muzzle awareness protocol was a habit long since engrained.
shot went into the dirt 10ft in front of me

..L.T.A.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:18 AM

In my early 30's, loved the idea of a small pocket gun. Carried an AMT backup.380 that I had a pistolsmith do a trigger job on. Back then, I usually carried cocked and locked. I was smart enough to point it at the foot of the bed when I chambered a round. With my trigger finger outside the trigger guard, I pulled back the slide and let it go...and immediately had a two round burst fire into the bed. In shock, i placed the muzzle against the mattress and was reaching to drop the magazine when a third round went off. I finally managed to drop the mag and eject the chambered round.

All three rounds went through the mattress and box springs, but were stopped by the hardwood floor. Thank God the .380 is a low power round. We were in an upstairs apartment and the homeowner was in the apartment below us with his wife. To this day I'm amazed he never said anything to me as the report was quite loud.

Now a drumroll.........my wife was sitting on the other side of the bed when the gun went off. The first two rounds impacted the bed within 3 feet of her feet. She was seriously beyond pissed (and I don't blame her!). After that event I NEVER carried a striker fired pistol with a chambered round.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

I had an "I was absolutely stupid" discharge due to mixing whiskey and a SAA at age 36, while I was drinking away the pain of losing my 17 yr old Son (only child).

That was 15 yrs ago and i've been sober for a long time....
No NDs since that one, and luckily only the ground was injured.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:40 AM

Closest I've come was last year transitioning between targets while still learning (developing the feel of) my Wilson's 3.5lb trigger reset (like Cappi, coming from just having shot some through another pistol).

Taking up the slack after the reset "click" I sent an early one that went between the targets as I was getting on target.

None since.

I still consider that to be a negligent discharge though.

Last edited by yettoblaster; 12-24-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:16 AM

There is a reason there are more than just one safety protocol, muzzle awareness is of utmost importance whenever a firearm is discharged, being intentional, negligent, or a part/weapon failure.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:18 PM

I am anal about safety checks on my weapons...Never have, and hope I never will have an AD...
Old 12-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Accidental double tap at the range when resetting the trigger between shots with a light 1911 trigger. The round went downrange with no harm done, but I didn't mean to fire just yet.