Early R1's - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-28-2014, 11:05 PM

Early R1's

Ok guys, a minor rant coming. I don't know where this idea that early R1's are to be avoided comes from. If the newer models are better, great. My early R1 fit is tighter than OJ Simpsons glove, the finish has held up great and the pistol functions great.
If the new frames are better, more power to the new owners.
I can only say I love mine and its not going to be sold in my lifetime. Easy on the early R1's. If they were not great there would be no new R1's, lol.
Alright, rant off. I think this endless cold and snow is getting to me!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:07 AM

Rants and Raves

If you build it, they will come.

Doesn't matter if it's an R1, the latest Brown or STI.

If it is in the public domain, someone will love it, someone will hate it.

Just the way it is.

I don't worry much about what someone else thinks of my guns unless I need to sell one.

Cheers...
Old 03-01-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest43 View Post
Ok guys, a minor rant coming. I don't know where this idea that early R1's are to be avoided comes from. If the newer models are better, great. My early R1 fit is tighter than OJ Simpsons glove, the finish has held up great and the pistol functions great.
If the new frames are better, more power to the new owners.
I can only say I love mine and its not going to be sold in my lifetime. Easy on the early R1's. If they were not great there would be no new R1's, lol.
Alright, rant off. I think this endless cold and snow is getting to me!
Yes on early R1's and yes on the endless cold and snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 AM

Yeh..the R1 standard I bought a few years ago is set-up near perfect....however I've seen some similar vintage Remingtons that were horrible..horrible in the fit-up of barrel/slide/frame..

I actually wondered if perhaps Remington had professional 1911 pistolsmiths build some guns and trainees build some guns...
Old 03-01-2014, 10:57 AM

I don't recall hearing anyone saying that the early R1's should be avoided. The only negative comment that I remember reading about was in reference to the slide stop over hanging the flat of the frame. This was purely cosmetic and did not hinder the pistols function in any way. In fact, most owners of the early unrevised frame R1's didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to them.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:25 AM

There was a small run in the beginning that had the bevel on the front of the frame bed seriously overcut, basically eliminating the VIS that stops rearward barrel movement. I've see and heard of 6 or 7 known examples and ran into one where the lower lugs sheared off in a few thousand rounds. There's a post with pictures in this forum about it from a few years ago but I can't remember who had the gun and post right now. That issue has been corrected for quite some time now.

Here's one post about it https://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...unky+frame+cut

Ken Mays is the first post about the subject a short time before this one but I can't find it in a search.

Last edited by rex; 03-16-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
There was a small run in the beginning that had the bevel on the front of the frame bed seriously overcut, basically eliminating the VIS that stops rearward barrel movement. I've see and heard of 6 or 7 known examples and ran into one where the lower lugs sheared off in a few thousand rounds. There's a post with pictures in this forum about it from a few years ago but I can't remember who had the gun and post right now. That issue has been corrected for quite some time now.

Here's one post about it https://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...unky+frame+cut

Ken Mays is the first post about the subject a short time before this one but I can't find it in a search.
Ken Mays thread was in the Gs and Ts sub forum if using advanced search. I wrote a letter and then called after receiving no written reply. I was told they would not discuss what they termed mid-product changes.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:44 AM

I hate that search function, I put in his name after finding the above link and it didn't pull up anything, nada. It gets weird at times.

I don't remember if it was Ken or someone else, but they contacted Remington about the cut and sent pictures- they were told it was in spec! That threw up a red flag to me, or maybe their machinist was dyslexic? They didn't impress me at all with that after the quality drop on the 870s. Great pump, I'm glad I still have my old one.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM

My R1 has serial number16xx I got it within weeks of coming out its fit is better than my colt. I haven't held a newer one but it would be extremely difficult to beat.