380 pocket pistol? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 PM

380 pocket pistol?

--Looking at the 380 pocket pistols. Who owns one? Which ones do you like and why??

How do people with larger hands feel shooting such small pistols?

I own several 9mm, 45, 357 and some other calibre handguns, but I don't own any pocket pistols.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks
George MacDonald
Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 PM

I carry a Colt Mustang. It shoots amazingly well for how small it is, very enjoyable to shoot and I'm very accurate with it. I'm about average size and it fits my hand well.
Heres a pic of my edc just to show a size comparison. I also would suggest the Sig P238 which was designed after the Mustang.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Kahr P380. It's reliable as long as it's kept clean. Previously I used a Kel-Tec P32, but lately that one has been giving me all kinds of functioning fits.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 PM

I have a kel-tec 380 limited editon that I hate . It came with a lazer and has engraving on the slide . the trigger pull is way to long and the lazer takes up way to much room. If I was going to buy another 380 it would be a sig 238 . I much prefer my sig 938 9mm its not much bigger than the kel-tec but the difference is amazing.

here is a comparison

Last edited by jwb47; 09-08-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: post script
Old 09-08-2013, 09:49 PM

I've had terrible luck with .380s. My first was a CZ 83 far from a pocket pistol but fit my hand size well (can palm a basketball with ease). At 7 yards I'd be all over the paper but at least on the paper. Got rid of it real quick. Next was a LCP. I emptied a full magazine at a pop bottle at less than 4 yards and not one hit, tried the same with a LCR .357 and hit it no problem. Smallest I have now is a XD sub and it shoots great at 25 yards.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 PM

Sig P238 is a great carry pistol.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 PM

I carry a DB380 as my primary. Some have had problems and others like myself have had very few problems. Mine has never had a failure when firing under 30 rounds without cleaning and using the ammo it likes.

I like the Diamondback because it has actual sights, is one of the smallest and lightest .380s you can get and is a familiar design that is easy to breakdown, clean and maintain.

Beware that it seems to have its fair share of unhappy customers. Personally I love mine and it has been relatively reliable. About 500 rounds in and I have had 11 failures which have been mixed between FTF and FTEs. It has never failed me until I have put 30ish rounds through it without cleaning.

I like the why it handles, I like the sights and I like the concealability of the little thing.

I am looking for a DB9 though. Nearly the same size but with 9mm firepower.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton54s View Post
I've had terrible luck with .380s. My first was a CZ 83 far from a pocket pistol but fit my hand size well (can palm a basketball with ease). At 7 yards I'd be all over the paper but at least on the paper. Got rid of it real quick.
I've got two CZ83's, and both are as accurate as lasers. Definitely not pocket pistols though. If you have large hands you really need a large grip surfce otherwise the gun shifts around too much in your hands.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:55 PM

I started with a Ruger LCP. On paper, it was everything I wanted in a pocket pistol. When I carried it, I would forget I even had it in my pocket. However, at 5 yards, I grouped about the size of a basketball with it. That made me feel uncomfortable, because under high stress, the groups would be even larger. That means I could possibly miss the target when I REALLY needed to hit the target. Also, that little .380 felt like someone was giving me a hard high-five every time I shot it. It had a sting to it.

Now I carry a Sig P238. It feels extremely natural, because it has the same ergonomics as a 1911. I even shoot it as well as I do an officers size 1911. I'm surprised how often I carry that little gun. It's a little heavier than the Ruger LCP, but it's in no way uncomfortable to carry.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S, EDC X9 Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeXero View Post
I carry a DB380 as my primary. Some have had problems and others like myself have had very few problems. Mine has never had a failure when firing under 30 rounds without cleaning and using the ammo it likes.

I like the Diamondback because it has actual sights, is one of the smallest and lightest .380s you can get and is a familiar design that is easy to breakdown, clean and maintain.

Beware that it seems to have its fair share of unhappy customers. Personally I love mine and it has been relatively reliable. About 500 rounds in and I have had 11 failures which have been mixed between FTF and FTEs. It has never failed me until I have put 30ish rounds through it without cleaning.

I like the why it handles, I like the sights and I like the concealability of the little thing.
You've learned the same thing I did with my Kahr, that these tiny guns typically work fine as long as they're squeaky-clean and well lubed. Once they begin to get dirty however they tend to throw a fit. They're definitely not meant to be dragged through the mud or get into an extended firefight with!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:02 PM

I never imagined owning a 380 until I found the latest version of the LCP. It is exactly what you'd expect in a pocket gun when anything else is just too much. I've carried tons of full sized guns, but the one I carried the most was a Smith J frame. Still, there were plenty of times that my J frame was simply too much gun. With this LCP, there is little excuse for not having a gun at all times. No safeties, slick sides, lightweight, and a pretty decent trigger. While I'm not particularly fond of the thickness the hogue grip ads, it does feel much better and isn't painful to shoot. Accuracy is surprisingly good and it hasn't failed yet. I've been around the bodyguard and the 238, but my preference goes to the Ruger.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
You've learned the same thing I did with my Kahr, that these tiny guns typically work fine as long as they're squeaky-clean and well lubed. Once they begin to get dirty however they tend to throw a fit. They're definitely not meant to be dragged through the mud or get into an extended firefight with!
Exactly the way I feel. Since it is my primary carry I keep it well cleaned and lubed and shoot at least two mags through it a week. I feel confident in its reliability so long as I realize its limitations.

I feel if I keep up with the cleaning and maintenance and it shoots reliably every week I feel fine with it.

These little things are not workhorses. They can be finicky and you have to realize that. Tolerances are tight and the rounds are pretty low energy and may not cycle the slide properly except under ideal conditions.

Last edited by NegativeXero; 09-08-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:09 PM

I have a S&W bodyguard 380 when not carrying a 1911

It's really really small and has sights and a backup laser

I can carry it anyplace wearing anything and I'm a small guy
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 PM

My Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace is very accurate for a tiny gun. At 10 yards I can shoot consistent 3-4 inch groups. It disappears into a pocket. I had a Kel-Tec P3AT which was terrible, even after 2 trips back to Kel-Tec.

Have you considered a S&W 642 J-frame revolver, or the similar Ruger LCR? They are tiny, easily pocketable, never have feed issues, and step you up to a .38 +P.
____
Former LEO and USAF Security Police
Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 PM

I carry a Ruger LCP. I have big hands. How do they work for big hands? Not very good. They are a pocket pistol, basically a multi shot derringer. Comfort is what it is......limited.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 PM

One thing I will add is that while some pocket pistols, including the LCP, can be ammo sensitive. Mine will shoot anything that says .380 on the box.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayphotog View Post
I have a S&W bodyguard 380 when not carrying a 1911

It's really really small and has sights and a backup laser

I can carry it anyplace wearing anything and I'm a small guy
I really like my S&W .380. Accurate and ease to conceal. The laser is nice but doesn't do much for me.
Bill
Old 09-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Banned

Colt. Ruger.

Colt Pony. Excellent gun. I have the alloy framed Pocketlite.

Ruger LCP. Keeps running and running and running. Dirty or clean. I bought two.

Old AMT BackUp. Broke its extractor but got a new one for $5 at Numrich.
This is a fun shooter, not a life-saver.

Some folks can't hit anything with them, some of us can.
Before you buy, first you must determine which group you're in.
If you can't hit anything, don't buy.

Note: 380 isn't all I carry, those are just my 'pocket guns' as the OP asked.
I also carry a full size 1911, or a S&W J-frame. Depends upon where I'm going.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog01 View Post
Sig P238 is a great carry pistol.
This is the way I opted to go. P238

On the DeSantis I had to cut the leather back for better access to the safety

Old 09-08-2013, 11:38 PM

You can't do better than a Sig 238. Even with my large hands and long fingers i can shoot this gun well. I put on finger grove grips for me. The wife has one with Hogue finger grove grips. For her it cuts down on the recoil.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:49 PM

I have the Bodyguard. Trigger pull is long and they could have skipped the laser, but it's well made and very accurate at 10 yards. Had some hiccups at first but S&W took care of them. Thin and easy to conceal.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 PM

I have a Kel-Tec P3AT. It is a close range, point-and-shoot emergency pocket pistol... and it'll do the job! It is what it is, nothing more.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:53 PM

I had a Keltec P32 & it was great. Traded up to the P3At (.380) & it's been great too. Runs on all the different ammo I've tried & functions in spite of the pocket lint & other crud that gets in it from daily carry. I hit the range every other week or so to shoot various guns. As part of this I drag out the Keltec from my pocket & dump a few mags through it. I do not try to clean it first. All I need is a clear barrel.
Of course it's not a pleasant gun to shoot like a full-sze pistol but it does not need to be pleasant. It just needs to work every time. & it does just that.
Sorry some of you had bad luck with yours. Guess I'm lucky.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 PM

P238 here. When I got it I had the chance to shoot most of the popular .380s out there(LCP, Kahr,DB, etc.). The P238 was by far the most comfortable, accurate, natural feeling of those I tried. I've put over 500 rounds through mine (ball and hollow points) and never had a failure. That being said, I keep it clean and lubed as I do with all of my guns.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:02 AM

I shot the Kel-Tec and the Bodyguard both were hard on my hands, I got slide cuts from the Kel-Tec but both functioned very well. The .380 is strong in a little plastic gun, there is no weight to soak up that recoil.
From the hills.....