New Springfield EMP Story - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 04:44 PM

New Springfield EMP Story

Hello Everyone - I was fortunate to be able to purchase a new EMP last Monday (10/24/11). My GS had a used one with a very low serial number that had some wear for $150 less than the newer model that I actually purchased (serial number 108XX). My intent for this new EMP is EDC after break-in.

I took the EMP home to field strip, clean and lube with CLP. It was reasonably clean already and I really like the way the gun feels in the hands and carries easily. On Tuesday evening after work (next day), I went to the range with 200 rounds of Federal 115 gr. ball ammo and a box of Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. JHP +P. I shot 6 mags of the Federal ball ammo and all was great. No failures at all. This gun is so easy to shoot and keep on target even out beyond 15 yards! Next I loaded all 3 mags with the Speer Gold Dot JHP's. They all fed fine but I experienced 8 actual failures to fire in the 3 mags. I checked all the loads that failed to fire and they had primer hits. I compared the primer hits on the other brass around my feet but did not see a difference in depth or location. I had my G19 with me as well, so I loaded the 8 "bad rounds" in my G19 and all went bang. During the rest of this range session, I was getting other failures to fire (16) with not only the rest of the Speer Gold Dot but also the Federal ball that had previously functioned very well.

I took the EMP home and field stripped, cleaned and then I detail stripped the slide. Removing and cleaning the firing pin stop, firing pin and spring. I cleaned the firing pin channel with CLP and Q-tips and re-assembled. I took the EMP back to the range on Thursday (10/27) and fired 100 rounds of the Federal Ball then 50 Federal HST 124 gr. +P followed by 50 rounds each of UMC Ball and WWB. Everything fed fine and every round went bang as they should. I left the range back in love with the EMP and supremely confident that I had bought a winner and that the issues at my first session were attributed to new pistol break-in.

Eager to shoot the EMP again, I stopped in at the range on Sunday (10/30) with 100 rounds of the Federal Ball ammo and another 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHP +P. I started off the session firing off the 10 Federal HST's that I keep in the gun for carry (no problems) and followed up with the Speer Gold Dots... Again, I experienced failures to fire on 6 rounds with the GD's. When I reloaded these 6 "bad" Gold Dots into the mag a second time, they fired. I then switched over to my Federal ball ammo and experienced intermittent failures to fire with these loads as well. Frustrated again, I get home on Sunday and I clean the entire gun and detail strip the slide again.

Today at lunchtime - I stop by the range with a box of Federal HST 124 gr. +p and 200 rounds of Federal ball. The EMP functioned absolutely perfectly.

Have any of you experienced anything similar to this?

Also - how do you get the extractor out of the EMP for cleaning? Mine does not slide out when I remove the firing pin stop.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 PM

I had the identical experience with my EMP which I purchased in mid September. I ended up sending it in to SACS and they replaced the barrel link. It is now a okay. The process took 8 business days.

The extractor can be removed by pushing the end of it toward the rear of the slide. It can be accessed through the ejection port with a non marring tool, say wood or plastic. Hopes this helps.

Last edited by karter8; 11-01-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: unclear directions
Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karter8 View Post
I had the identical experience with my EMP which I purchased in mid September. I ended up sending it in to SACS and they replaced the barrel link. It is now a okay. The process took 8 business days.
Karter - I'm not doubting what SACS told you but did they tell you how a barrel link problem cause a failure to fire? I just don't understand this - I've got 5 1911's and I've never experienced "no bang" when I pull the trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 08:46 PM

Well double OO

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenaughtspy View Post
Karter - I'm not doubting what SACS told you but did they tell you how a barrel link problem cause a failure to fire? I just don't understand this - I've got 5 1911's and I've never experienced "no bang" when I pull the trigger.
Maybe they were thinking that the firing pin was striking too high or low? Not that it is the right way to fix it.
I would suggest checking the firing pin for burrs and the firing pin hole in the breechface for burrs. Are the rounds primers hit dead center or high or low?
Has the MSH hammer spring been changed? Have you tried the pencil test before and after cleaning? Does the firing pin spring look ok? Are there buggers in the firing pin channel? Did you try firing the duds again to see if they would fire a second time?
I would bet that there is something amiss with either the MSH spring weight or burring on the firing pin or hole. Hard to say. Do you have pics of the brass? Are the dimples more shallow than on the Glock brass?

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com
Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 PM

The firing pin was hitting low in my opinion and is still hitting low just not as much. Seems as mine is not the only one as I have seen it mentioned on here before.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:55 PM

I had 6 FTFire out of first 60 Federal or American Eagle (same thing) rounds with my new EMP 9mm. I sent it back to SA, and they replaced the barrel link on mine as well, and also polished the ramp. 12 day round trip that included Labor Day weekend.

I have 400 additional perfect rounds though it since it came back.

MP
Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTarget1911 View Post
Maybe they were thinking that the firing pin was striking too high or low? Not that it is the right way to fix it.
I would suggest checking the firing pin for burrs and the firing pin hole in the breechface for burrs. Are the rounds primers hit dead center or high or low?
Has the MSH hammer spring been changed? Have you tried the pencil test before and after cleaning? Does the firing pin spring look ok? Are there buggers in the firing pin channel? Did you try firing the duds again to see if they would fire a second time?
I would bet that there is something amiss with either the MSH spring weight or burring on the firing pin or hole. Hard to say. Do you have pics of the brass? Are the dimples more shallow than on the Glock brass?

Jess
Thanks Jess for your input and questions - I'll answer them one at a time...

1 - I took the top end down completely and checked for burrs in the FP hole and channel. Also checked the firing pin and spring and except for being dirty... Nothing.

2- Slightly off center to the right on the primer hits but so was every other round that "fired".

3- I have not changed the MSH or spring (yet) - I just got the EMP last week.

4- Every time that I had a failure to fire - I ran the pencil test. Almost sends the pencil into the ceiling so it's not the firing pin.

5 - Yes the duds eventually fired when I had the problem on my third range trip. On the first range trip, the duds fired through the G19. I'm no scientist and I wouldn't know how to measure it - but the depth of the dimples look the same on the fired brass from the EMP and the G19.

Looks like a trip back to SA is in order. It's a shame - I just love the way that it carries and I just got a new set of Sarge's smooth grips.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Do you reload?

Maybe you could load some empty brass with a primer and see if that will make the primers fire. Thanks for the thorough answers. Seems to point at ammo but going back to SA is the way to get it done. Sorry that it was not solvable without a trip back to Mama.

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com