Stainless to Matte Black? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 03:38 PM

Stainless to Matte Black?

Can this be done? I have done and participate in some low light shooting training and I never thought it would be an issue, but depending on my target the stainless finish isn't ideal for this situation. It's somewhat distracting in my peripheral vision when I am focusing on my sight picture. Anyway, just curious if this is possible? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:44 PM

https://severnscustom.com/Hard_Hat_Treatment.html

Its not the cheapest way, but you get what you pay for.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:19 PM

This looks like a good way to go. Reading on that finish it sounds like it's quality work. When you say it isn't the cheapest way to go, do you have a ballpark figure on that? I can give them a call but just curious if you've had experience with them before? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Another option would be to have Robar blacken (see: Blackening of Stainless Steel) it for you. Robar is top notch outfit.

Last edited by Horoscope Fish; 10-26-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM

For the cost associated in a quality refinish that will last a while, why don't you just sell the current piece and get another in similar condition? I mean stainless has a slightly better resale value any way, so you might be able to find someone looking to swap as well?

That said, I know this will sound a little crude, but if taped off correctly, you could also just use a very light coat of a cheap black matte spray paint for the side and top, that will come right off during cleaning. What area of the slide is bothering you? This will work temporarily until you decide to stick with the training and you get a purpose made piece.

Just hate to see you waste money needlessly.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 PM

I would duracoat the slide you can even only do the top half by taping it off.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/756...tte-black-4-oz
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Or do an "Eclipse" type finish

Kimber does this. It would not be hard to duplicate on your own.

Jess
http://media.kimberamerica.iostudio....secustomii.png

Or just two tone the gun with a Cerakote, Duracoat, pick a kote finish. The cerakote, Duracoat, "paint" type finishes can be done at home by you and don't cost a small countries defense budget to have done. Many good finishes out there but basically if it is not hardchrome, they all will nick, scratch or come off in some form or another. But with the way you use your gun, perhaps looking perfect all the time is not a requirement and any of the name finishes will do the job. Just re-doing the slide, even if done by a pro, should not cost that much. Brownell's sells some of it's products in aerosol cans so you don't need the airbrush to apply it.

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
https://severnscustom.com/hard_hat_treatment.html

its not the cheapest way, but you get what you pay for.
+1,000,000
Old 10-27-2011, 12:18 AM

Ion Bond DLC would be yet another of the high quality finishes you might want to consider.
Good luck,
L.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 AM

Looks like Meloniting to me. It says no one else does it, but there are a few shops that do the work for everyone in the industry, definitely not unique. You can Ionbond as well. Either of the two will hold up better than a spray and bake but be forwarned, you can not make changes to any of the parts after they've been treated because they'll be too hard. So make any changes and be sure about it ahead of time.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 PM

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone. Looking into a bit more, I may just go the Cerakote route. My buddy knows an outfit out of Oregon that does the entire gun for $125, which is manageable for me. I know it's not a finish that won't show wear after usage over time, but I buy guns to shoot them opposed to having them sit in the safe and look pretty. I kind of like the character of a 1911 that has noticeably seen some action anyway I was thinking Graphite Black. Here is their web site if anyone else is interested or may be interested down the road: http://www.dvcguns.com/. Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 PM

My buddy knows an outfit out of Oregon

Medford is actually in Oregon. An example of a place out of Oregon would be Cleveland. Or New York City.

Good luck!
L.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberAmerica View Post
Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone. Looking into a bit more, I may just go the Cerakote route. My buddy knows an outfit out of Oregon that does the entire gun for $125, which is manageable for me. I know it's not a finish that won't show wear after usage over time, but I buy guns to shoot them opposed to having them sit in the safe and look pretty. I kind of like the character of a 1911 that has noticeably seen some action anyway I was thinking Graphite Black. Here is their web site if anyone else is interested or may be interested down the road: http://www.dvcguns.com/. Thanks again!
I dropped my slide off to Jim Lynch last Thrusday and having it done in Graphite Black... I'll post some pictures when I get it back and assembled. I'm doing it for slightly different reasons (I have a carbon steel slide and SS frame) and like the two tone look...plus I won't need refinishing when I have the front strap checkered.
NRA Life member
Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 PM

Awesome. Yes, please post some pics of the graphite black when it gets done! That is the finish I am going with. Looking forward to seeing the new look!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 PM

I just heard from Jim and it should be ready for me to pick up Tuesday... I can't wait!
NRA Life member
Old 11-01-2011, 02:51 AM

Way cool. Can't wait to see some pics!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Stay away from painted finishes like Duracote or Ceracote. Go with Melonite QPQ (known by dfferent names dpending on the vendor). In regards to Melonite QPQ vs. Ionbond, Melonite QPQ wins hands down. Of my Ionbond'ed firearms, wear is present at many areas. My Melonite'ed firearms (some with over 5 years of hard use) have yet to show wear anywhere, even where the barrel locks up in the slide area.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 PM

Here is a shot before the Cerakote.

And after the coating (before any lube)

The coating becomes a bit more glossy after wiping it down with oil (as to be expected). In comparing the color to Kimpro the Cerakote of flatter in color and a little more grey. My intial opinion is that I like it... I know it will wear in time (like any finish) but the price is great and it's local!
NRA Life member
Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 PM

Looks good

I like two tone guns. Take a look here and see what you think
http://www.nicindustries.com/firearm...bKII5j2WIDX6m5

Jess
"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Last edited by OnTarget1911; 11-01-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 PM

Your great looking pics made want to fast-track my Cerakote plans for my Custom II. I'm going for the full-on matte black look.

Since Kimbers are know for their tight tolerances, did you experience any function issues after the Cerakote process?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit21 View Post
Your great looking pics made want to fast-track my Cerakote plans for my Custom II. I'm going for the full-on matte black look.

Since Kimbers are know for their tight tolerances, did you experience any function issues after the Cerakote process?
No problems what so ever I don't believe the fit was any tighter after the coating. I'm only seeing very slight wear on the muzzle at the top of the slide. This pistol gets holster and unhostlered at least once a day since I can't carry at work and then it also gets range time... so it not like it sits in the safe and doesn't get used. I'm very happy with the outcome and how well its has worn thus far.
NRA Life member
Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techieguy View Post
And after the coating (before any lube)
That looks great!