American Guns on Discovery - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 AM

American Guns on Discovery

Anyone seen it yet. Not too bad, better than Sons of Guns I will have to say.
RIA GI .45- RIA Compact .45 RIA Compact 9mm
GSG 1911 .22
Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 AM

I watched it and thought there was something very odd about the show, very staged in appearance so I trolled the internet about the shop and owner. Very bad reviews on the quality of workmanship and the owner has a sketchy past. I even read that the kids aren't his, and that they moved to be part of the show. There is a lot about it on Colorado firearm forums.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal2468 View Post
I watched it and thought there was something very odd about the show, very staged in appearance so I trolled the internet about the shop and owner. Very bad reviews on the quality of workmanship and the owner has a sketchy past. I even read that the kids aren't his, and that they moved to be part of the show. There is a lot about it on Colorado firearm forums.
Well when I saw that Colt Defender strapped on to them short shorts, I had to watch.
The son seemed to be alittle crybaby for being the son of a retired cop.
$5000 for that little knuckle duster pistol seemed pretty high. I understand the work in it, but 5K?
RIA GI .45- RIA Compact .45 RIA Compact 9mm
GSG 1911 .22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 08:33 AM

Seems like a pre fabed scripted show like all the others
And all they do is play to a camera
And the "interviews" get lame
If this doesnt work we could all die
If this doesnt sell ill loose my business
Looked like there were some nice guns tho
Never heard of the place
And 5000.00 for that tiny gun
I could get 2 pros and some ammo
Old 10-12-2011, 09:05 AM

Watched it last night. Kinda silly and staged. Actually think SOG is a better program. Surprised that Discovery would promote a show that is similar, in many ways, to SOG.

Would not take any of my guns for repair at either of those 2 shops.

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney
Old 10-12-2011, 09:06 AM

I have to admit I am no expert, but I was shocked browsing their prices on the website. Seemed absurdly high. Anyone know how much they increased after the show contract?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 AM

Caught the end of the episode,

From what I saw SOG does seem a better show, plus as a fellow marine I can't help but like SOG.

I do have to say, colt+hot chick= good ratings in my book. I kept watching because of that alone ha.

Does seem a bit staged, and those prices...well I won't be buying anything from them for those prices.

-Eric
Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM

All these types of shows are so totally fake & full of scripted drama that I just can't believe how popular they become.

Sons of Guns is ridiculous, period. But others, like Pawn Stars would be entertaining if it weren't scripted to the point of creating "characters" out of the cast. And does anybody believe all those amazing historical items that just "happen into a pawn shop" are not staged?

As for this show, it seems like the rest of them. And even though I'll agree the daughter is very attractive (understatement), let's remember guys, she's very young and her wonderful parents are showing her off dressed like a stripper for profit & ratings.

No thanks.

Last edited by tc13; 10-12-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:28 AM

Horrible reviews online, horrendously ugly 50 cal that they "custom built" (why not make it a color that people might actually buy, too young of a daughter, and fake tits on the mom. No thanks I'll save my DVR space. It was kinda cool to see the process of building that knuckleduster but there's not a chance in hell I'd pay $5000 for it.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc13 View Post
All these types of shows are so totally fake & full of scripted drama that I just can't believe how popular they become.

Sons of Guns is ridiculous, period. But others, like Pawn Stars would be entertaining if it weren't scripted to the point of creating "characters" out of the cast. And does anybody believe all those amazing historical items that just "happen into a pawn shop" are not staged?

As for this show, it seems like the rest of them. And even though I'll agree the daughter is very attractive (understatement), let's remember guys, she's very young and her wonderful parents are showing her off dressed like a stripper for profit & ratings.

No thanks.
Exactly. Isn't this what they accused that Kate chick on TLC about? Profiting from using her children as television props. How is this different?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 AM

I still think its weird that people act shocked that "reality" shows are staged. off course they are! You go into some of the local gun stores around here with that small family business type feel to them that do minor gunsmithing, you know waht you find most of the time? It would be like a barber shop, people going there to chat with owners. They need to stage stuff to make it interesting.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffe View Post
I still think its weird that people act shocked that "reality" shows are staged. off course they are! You go into some of the local gun stores around here with that small family business type feel to them that do minor gunsmithing, you know waht you find most of the time? It would be like a barber shop, people going there to chat with owners. They need to stage stuff to make it interesting.

Except it's not.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I know my local gun shop isn't going to have a show made about it and I'm just thrilled to death about that because I like not having the injected drama in there just to have someone tune in the next week.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
A

No thanks.
I was at the shop last year. The way it works is they film about 2 hours a day. The rest of the time if something interesting comes in they look at it and then ask that person to come back and be on film. That way the expert is ready just out of camera view and makes his appearance.

Plus you have to remember since the show is on TV people do come from far and wide with interesting stuff just hoping to be on the air.

I for one would rather have a body part removed then get caught selling something at a pawn shop.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
I was at the shop last year. The way it works is they film about 2 hours a day. The rest of the time if something interesting comes in they look at it and then ask that person to come back and be on film. That way the expert is ready just out of camera view and makes his appearance.

Plus you have to remember since the show is on TV people do come from far and wide with interesting stuff just hoping to be on the air.

I for one would rather have a body part removed then get caught selling something at a pawn shop.
Ha Ha, I'll admit, I occasionally watch Pawn Stars just to see what comes in. I'm a history nut & they get some cool stuff in there with neat stories attached to them. But it makes me ill when a guy comes in to sell "this old WWII crap" that was my Grandfathers so I can buy a Harley.

I don't watch any of the BS between the cast, it's scripted and full on retard. I like the idea of these gun shop shows, just not how they are done.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM

I don't normaly watch "reality" tv shows but stuff like Pawn Stars, SOG, AG,... are like a car wreck to me, I know it's sick and it's going to be horrible to look over there but I can't look away!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
. . .They need to stage stuff to make it interesting.
The problem isn't the scripting for the shows. Heck, every movie I've ever watched is based on a script.

The biggest problem is the cast of characters. "Shallow ignorant idiots" is about the BEST description I can come up with. No real depth to any of them but they can smile/frown/shout/cry/etc on cue. Because the cast is so poor, the script writers are seriously challenged to make stuff up for them that these morons can actually DO while on film. The result is the show just plain sucks better than a vacuum cleaner.

The worst part is that there are enough brainless people out there watching these programs that these shows get ratings and advertising dollars to perpetuate this junk programing.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:15 PM

I'll go decent.

But still, of the two, I'll go with SOG any day of the week.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:27 PM

I think everything that needed to be said regarding this show was summed up in this comment from a previous thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
Looks like Justin Bieber, Daisy Duke, Mrs. Cleavage, and MacGyver - should be a hit.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:15 PM

The owner needs to spend less on buying used firearms and more on a better boob job for the missus. I actually got a headache looking at her, one boob looks like a blown case (staying on topic here gents) and the other lost powder. Interesting show, I'll watch a few more episodes before I make my mind up.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
And even though I'll agree the daughter is very attractive (understatement), let's remember guys, she's very young and her wonderful parents are showing her off dressed like a stripper for profit & ratings.

No thanks.
Understatement? I personally think moderately attractive is strong. Too many guys think any girl with a gun is hot! Take away the wardrobe, and pushup bra and well... Kind of like that dude who plays the vampire in that movie series. There's something a little... Off... Like too small of a genepool off. And as someone else pointed out "Baby, go shake that little backside outside and sell some guns to them Bikers!" I hope somebody walked her to her car after work for the next week

Old 10-12-2011, 03:40 PM

Just saw some clips online, doesn't look at all that interesting honestly. The gunsmithithing stuff looks cool, but I would almost guarantee that out of the hour long program slot, less than 15 minutes shows actual production. The rest is drama, sales, etc.

Am I wrong? I don't have cable nor plan on getting it, I rely on a REALLY fast internet connection, hulu, netflix, and whatever the networks put on their websites.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 PM

flashing wads of $20,000 in cash, using your lovely daughter to push the merchandise, showing off your wife's front end, tossing around a gold coin, claiming that machining a stainless steel cylinder costs $500.....very little of the show was about actual gun manufacture, repair, safe use; most appeared to be about how 'cool' this dude and his weird family was. and that son...what a crybaby.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:37 PM

I almost watched one episode, could not get through it all.... too many Rhode Scholars.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrabubbles View Post
Understatement? I personally think moderately attractive is strong. Too many guys think any girl with a gun is hot! Take away the wardrobe, and pushup bra and well... Kind of like that dude who plays the vampire in that movie series. There's something a little... Off... Like too small of a genepool off. And as someone else pointed out "Baby, go shake that little backside outside and sell some guns to them Bikers!" I hope somebody walked her to her car after work for the next week

I do think she's a cutie, but I also think her Father should have his ass kicked for putting her on tv looking like that.

It ain't an accident that she dresses that way. Same goes for Mommy, but she's a big girl and can do as she pleases. The daughter has parents that should know better.

Guess we all have our opinions?