tactical clothig - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 12:49 PM

tactical clothig

I was wondering if the average person accualy wore the tactical type clothes like the shirts, pants, or jackets; so I figured I'de ask. Do yall wear any of that and if so what do you wear?

Last edited by Texfella; 10-01-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Location: Columbia, Missouri - Birthplace of IPSC, IDPA, and Bianchi Cup
If you're not familiar with the term "mall ninja," Google it.

When I'm off-duty, I usually wear jeans and a polo. The gun and spare magazine are on the belt. The "tactical" bit is my mindset, which doesn't change.

Awareness goes a long way, and further than what you're wearing.

Andy
Old 10-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 03:38 PM

I wear an Orvis vest; a weapon in itself - weights about 20 pounds (all the junk).

My weapon and magizines are in a shoulder rig.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:46 PM

The styles people are wearing today are often similar to the tactical wear- i.e. the various cargo pants and shirts found in many stores today. So it is not uncommon. However, you can definitely tell the difference between someone wearing the cargo pants and someone who is wearing the tactical pants/shirts. Here locally, it is cops who can be seen wearing the tactical pants and look, both on duty and off duty.

I like cargo pants because of the comfort and the extra pockets. I also like having two shirt pockets. Not for the tactical or mall ninja effect, but rather the comfort and convenience. Of course I also like wearing simple blue jeans too, loose fit anyway.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:52 PM

The LAST thing you want to do when your carrying is ADVERTISE the fact.

It's like saying to the bad guys " Here I am, shoot me NOW".
Old 10-01-2011, 04:03 PM

I always wear cargo pants, but not any tactical brand, just Wranglers from Walmart. I don't like shirt pockets, stuff always falls out of them! I would say that I don't look obvious when carrying, I dress the same either way...
Old 10-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousana View Post

My white polo and my plaid shorts don't really scream I've got 7 124 grain 9mm's for ya underneath it with a spare mag in my rear pocket.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousana View Post

^
this. I dont wear "shoot me first" clothes. A good weapon, good holster, spare mags and a gunbelt. Tactical should always be pertain to the person using the weapon, not to the clothing and how many lights and gimmicks you can hang on the pistol.
COTEP #0523
Old 10-01-2011, 05:47 PM

Carpenter pants, sweat shirt and steel toed Timberland work boots is what I wear most of the time. Tactical is just a word and nothing more without it being practiced.

Clothes might make the man but they don't magically make you an operator of any sort.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:18 PM

I was mostly a jeans or Dockers kinda guy but I tried a pair of the 5.11 Tactical lightweight cargo pants and wound up with 4 pairs. Pretty much my everyday wear now. I like the fact that my Ruger LCR doesn't print in the right front pocket and I still have plenty of pockets for the rest of my stuff. It's too hot where I live, most of the year, to wear a cover garment other than a Hawian shirt and I prefer polo type shirts anyway.

So far, the 5.11 jeans fit me well, hold their shape and are comfy when sitting in a car for long periods. Just fine by me.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:36 PM

I like the 5-11 shirts with jeans. They look good and wear like iron.
I just wish that they were not made in Vietnam.
The equivalent Woolrich shirts are very nice also and are finished a little nicer.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 10-01-2011, 06:37 PM

Well, I am the manufacturers rep for Woolrich Elite in the northeast US, and they believe there is a place for tactical clothing, but they are moving in the discreet/off duty direction, trying to not look like the "shoot me first" guy. They take top selling shirts from their casual clothing line and adding concealed carry features.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilespla View Post
I always wear cargo pants, but not any tactical brand, just Wranglers from Walmart. I don't like shirt pockets, stuff always falls out of them! I would say that I don't look obvious when carrying, I dress the same either way...
Did ya ever hear of shirt pockets with flaps and buttons?

I pretty much flat out refuse to wear shirts that do not have at least one pocket as I wear glasses for reading and such. I'm really partial to shirts that have two pockets that have flaps and buttons; to which you really don't need to button down the flaps for everyday casual activities. Another habit of mine is that both at work on board ship and in street attire is wearing a T-shirt with a pocket under the button down shirt. Now I've got 3 secure pockets for keeping glasses (s) slips of paper, cell phone etc; and expanded options for hiding my CC of the day all the while looking very much casual business and not feeling sloppy at all in my dress.

To which while I'm not a tactical dresser by any means as the only cargo pants I own are shorts but I do like Carhartt Dungarees Canvas pants as they have huge front pockets for pocket carry without a bulge and several side pockets for a knife as well as a flashlight without looking tacticool at all; you just look like a prepared blue collar worker.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:02 PM

I wear the taclite TDU's on a regular basis. I like cargo pants and that's basically all these are (the tdu doesn't have the big slash pocket like the tactical pants do). I have a pair that I've been wearing for 4 years and they look dang near new. I can't pull that off with department store cargo pants. Most cargos I tear out the crotch or pockets in a matter of months. The cut on the TDU makes them wear nicely and not look sloppy like a lot of other cargos. The expanding waist makes it easy to wear IWB and I just plain like them, the wife also thinks I look good in them They are a practical not tactical pant for me.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTD View Post
... They are a practical not tactical pant for me.
There you go.... The newest catch phrase "Practical Tactical"........
Old 10-01-2011, 08:17 PM

LOL, please don't! I hate the mall ninja thing as much as the next guy but 5.11 makes a good pant that works for me. Things like carharrt jeans are a bit too heavy and hot for the arizona desert, but no doubt would fit my needs otherwise.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTD View Post
LOL, please don't! I hate the mall ninja thing as much as the next guy but 5.11 makes a good pant that works for me. Things like carharrt jeans are a bit too heavy and hot for the arizona desert, but no doubt would fit my needs otherwise.
Ah Arizona oh how I envy you come about Jan/Feb when I'm knee deep in snow and ice..... I'm in Michigan and work on the Great Lakes year round. Made a couple of trips to Carefree and Sedona in Feb and just loved it; even rented a rag-top car.....
Old 10-01-2011, 08:32 PM

Local and Comfortable

For me, "tactical" means "comfortable" and "unobtrusive" - that's it. I suit my garb to the locale I call "home." I don't wear armor and do suit my "gunleather" (and other weapons carry) to my lifestyle in my neighborhood. Varies day yo day.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Stay warm! I'm a transplant to the southwest from northern Maine, so I know what you mean
Old 10-02-2011, 01:12 PM

I allways wear two T-shirt: an under shirt thats normally white and is tucked it( I can't stand the feeling of the gun rubbin against my bare skin...I'm just odd like that) and a regular T-shirt up top. Down below it's usually blue jeans.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
^
this. I dont wear "shoot me first" clothes. A good weapon, good holster, spare mags and a gunbelt. Tactical should always be pertain to the person using the weapon, not to the clothing and how many lights and gimmicks you can hang on the pistol.
I was mostly referencing those that wear gun related clothing, jackets, hats, nra stickers on vehicles.

If your gonna CC, then you should do so with non descript clothing that tell no one about you, other than your whether you like to dress nice or not lol. I mean, when I'm at work I'm either in scrubs or a 2pc suit, on my off days I like to dress casually, not sloppy, but not business either.

I passed one guy the other day in Macy's he was wearing a S&W Tshirt, Colt hat, made me immediately look to see if he was carrying, and sure enough, he was broadcasting, prob unconsciencely that he was carrying by always reaching up with his right hand and readjusting his holster, or just feeling to make sure it's still there lol.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:56 PM

My most telling gear recently is a pair of Converse,side-zip,composite-toed boots.

Much better than flip-flops.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Roe View Post
My most telling gear recently is a pair of Converse,side-zip,composite-toed boots.

Much better than flip-flops.
Yes those are indeed some very nice boots; I'm wearing mine now. I'm really liking the snug foot/ankle hugging design of these over other over the ankle side zip boots that I've worn for the last 10+ years. To which I've tried Bates, Magnum, Timberline and surely others and I'm thinking I like these the most. As I work on board a 550' ship with 7 levels and more stairs, ladders, and ramps than I care to count.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 PM

yes i routinely wear my tactical slim fit wranglers, tactical cowboy boots, tactical belt buckle, tactical western snap front shirts, and tacical carhartt jacket for cold weather, and top it off with a very tactical stetson or resistol hat, almost forgot my tactical oakleys, its all very tacticalicious

Pain is weakness leaving the body.