Smith & Wesson SW1911 Pro Series 3" Subcompact Review & Pics - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 12:25 PM

I definitely need to pick up one of these. Sweet!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Newbie..... Just picked one of these up in Dec

Hello... was doing some google review searches for my pro 3" and came across this thread and decided to join. love the thread. I picked mine up on gun broker NIB for a tad over $700 this past Dec.. I actually just sent mine back to S&W (today) after a couple conversations with customer service. Love the package, size weight etc but I had issues with the sights, trigger rattle and thumb safety. Anyone else have issues with any of these? It was shooting way low and to the left and the sights were VISIBLY off. I have 3 Kimbers ( 2 custom shop) and the triggers are very tight, the s&w is like an old chevy puckup. The thumb safety was very hard to engage and seat and disengage. There is now a gouge in the frame where the thumb safety over travel digs in. Any ideas or comments? Also I am looking into the Meprolight nights sights, anyone have experience? I live in MA so it is hard to get a new 3"1911 as nothing is on the approved list. I did find a nib kimber ultra cdp, ma approved, but the dealer wanted $1499 pre tax ...... thought that was robbery.
Attached Thumbnails
7small.jpg  

Last edited by francoma; 03-01-2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 PM

Proper installation of recoil spring on S&W ProSeries 1911 .45

I know I seem late regarding questioning of the issue regarding proper installation of the recoil spring on the S&W pro series 1911 45. I just purchased the gun(new) over the week end at Cabellas, reviewed the owners manual and saw that there has been no change in recommended installation procedures. Are you guys still advising to make sure the recoil spring is installed correctly: The open end goes in the plug (muzzle end) and the closed end goes on the guide rod(contrary to what the owner's manual states? I haven't seen any more discussion regarding the on the forums.
Any further advice would be greatly appreciated'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 02:25 AM

I have one and best 3" 1911 for carry as far as I am concerned ! Came with 3 extra springs too !
Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 AM

Does the Heine slant pro fit easily in the this gun ! I was hoping to have it on mine also !
Old 01-22-2012, 12:32 PM

I also picked up this model recently at my LGS and have the following comments:

I bought it used. The previous owner has HUGE hands and based on my inspection of the gun and the magazines, I'm not sure he ever fired the gun. There were no marks on the magazine followers and other than an excessive amount of lube, there were no traces of gunk inside the gun nor marks on the breech.

The trigger is pretty amazing, right out of the box. I've found this to be true on all "Pro" S&W's I've owned.

The lower right side (looking from the rear) corner of the mainspring housing digs into the palm of my shooting hand like crazy - I'll be swapping this part out or doing some remedial filing shortly. I like the idea of a bit of texture on the mainspring housing, but for comfort and carry this one needs to have its corners softened and the checkering dulled a bit.

After 250 rounds of FMJ there are NO marks at all on the feedramp - I guess the combination of Scandium and the frame finish are harder or slicker than I'd guessed.

My mainspring was also installed backwards. I discovered this when I first got the gun (used) and attributed it to the previous owner. I guess he is not to blame!

The accuracy is good once you get used to the recoil. It is a bit snappier than for a full size gun, but I did not buy this for target practice.

I don't mind the sights, but will likely change them at some point. I will likely change to a fiber sight in the front once I get a few more rounds through the gun.

The grip safety is a bit harder to compress than for my other 1911's (or is it that it is shorter and hits my hand in a different place? I'll check this).

I am very happy with the fit and finish - my slide has almost no vertical or horizontal play. The barrel is well fit to the slide. The safety has a nice "snick" both engaging and disengaging.

The grips are ugly but very nice to use. They offer good hand friction, don't seem to grab at clothing and I have felt no real harshness while shooting.

Performance has been flawless - not one FTFeed or FTfire.

I'll post more once I get the mainspring housing situation straightened out.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9900 View Post
I know I seem late regarding questioning of the issue regarding proper installation of the recoil spring on the S&W pro series 1911 45. I just purchased the gun(new) over the week end at Cabellas, reviewed the owners manual and saw that there has been no change in recommended installation procedures. Are you guys still advising to make sure the recoil spring is installed correctly: The open end goes in the plug (muzzle end) and the closed end goes on the guide rod(contrary to what the owner's manual states? I haven't seen any more discussion regarding the on the forums.
Any further advice would be greatly appreciated'

Regardless of what the manual says, the open end goes in the plug, (muzzle end) and the closed end goes onto the guide rod. I asked the same question on this forum and was set straight.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:45 PM

How is the spring installed on a brand new one straight from the factory?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awpk03s View Post
The owner's manual is a misprint. Call S&W... there's been a couple threads here on it already. I was skeptical too, but every other gun I have ever owned has had the closed end on the rod and open end in the plug.
Last May, when I was having problems with my original e Series TA, I confirmed with the company that the reassembly instructions in the S&W owners manual are in fact, incorrect in that they tell you to improperly reverse the recoil spring when installing it onto the guide rod.

Beautiful carry pistol, that snubbie, and nice shooting as well.

Good luck with it and change your recoil spring frequently; springs are cheap enough.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackofhay View Post

I am very happy with the fit and finish - my slide has almost no vertical or horizontal play.
Really? Mine has all sort so slop, from the factory. It even gets better when the safety is engaged.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Banned

The only 3 inch 1911 I would consider buying would be a S&W. Please do not forget that 1911's mostly like to function wet (so do Sig's of every model not only 1911's), so clean and oil it well before using it the first time and every time after that.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM

These sub-compacts are awesome. Perfect carry guns in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the pics and the info! Waiting on mine to come in. Hopfully in the next week or two!!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Had mine for several months now. Really like this piistol, no failures of any kind. I changed the grips to Slim wood for comfort. This caused the Mag release to release all by itself while in a Crossbreed Super Tuck holster. This was solved by a standard Colt GI Mag release from Midway. I installed a heavy mag release spring while it was apart. No further issues. I trust this pistol and carry it every day.

[IMG][/IMG]

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM

Can the guys that are not having any feeding issues take a picture of your feed ramps? I keep having issues and its going back to Smith for the 2nd time... I can see tool marks under the finish on my ramp, curious if that may be the hiccup.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith&Fish View Post
Can the guys that are not having any feeding issues take a picture of your feed ramps? I keep having issues and its going back to Smith for the 2nd time... I can see tool marks under the finish on my ramp, curious if that may be the hiccup.
Here is the best I can get using my point and shoot.

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
Old 02-13-2012, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the pic...I can already see the difference... You polish that yourself or it was like that out of the box?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:55 PM

I bought a brand new one last November and had chronic intermittent failures to go into battery and/or nose-dive jams. I only shot factory hardball ammo and the failures continued even with brand new Wilson Combat mags. After 600 rounds, I changed the recoil spring (open end toward muzzle) and still had same rate of failures.

Very unhappy.

Returned it to Smith after 800 rounds and got it back two weeks later with repair notes concerning adjustments to the barrel and the barrel-to-slide fit.

Since the repair work, I have put another 400 rounds through it without a single jam of any kind.

Very happy!

Reassuring to know that Smith stands behind their product and will fix whatever needs fixing (and the round-trip shipping via FedEx is pre-paid by Smith).
Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 PM

Thats what was done the first time I sent mine back... Still had issues. they are working on it now. I spoke to one of the CS reps at a local sportsman show last week and he said he had the same issues with his personal one, polished the feed ramp and was good. I have major tool marks. I have no doubt it will be fixed, I still love all my Smiths, like all things mechanical some need work.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 AM

You may want to check your mags. I swapped the Act mags for CMC flush fit mags and they feed perfectly.

Last edited by JohnAC; 03-04-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM

I am going to get a few of the Wilson combat flush mags when I get it back... Seeing as they are the new sponsor...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 PM

Dale Dugas, which grips are those? I really how they look on your S&W1911.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM

Great Review..
Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 PM

Picked up one of these pups today. My first S&W

Anyone know what kind of night sights will fit these dovetails?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith&Fish View Post
I dont have nose diving bullets but i am/was having feeding issues
sent to S&W and waiting for a range trip to see the results.

It seems from my internet searching and word of mouth that the recoil springs are indeed installed backwards. Also failures to feed seems to be some what common with out of "HOULTON, ME" As far as I can tell this was some of the earlier pistols. My repair description was a Barrel Mod and Adjusting the Slide to Fit Barrell. A Visual shows some material removed from the slide and a little polishing on the barrel. Basically a slide fit issue.

I hope this helps