Guncrafter Quality? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-03-2019, 06:19 AM

Guncrafter Quality?

New to GI and wonder if their quality had been consistent throughout their history. In shopping for a used one, are their any periods of manufacture or serial number ranges that should be avoided ? Thanks.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:34 AM

I haven’t heard or read anything bad about any of Guncrafter’s pistols. Their business model of Alex Zimmerman checking every gun before it leaves seems to have been their in the past, and still exists. Fit, finish, accuracy and reliability are all excellent.

I’ve got 3 and as we speak have a 4th on the way to me. GI carries the same lifetime type warrantee as Wilson combat.

If you found something you like, get it, you wont be sorry.

Last edited by Plantar5; 11-03-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:00 AM

I'm not aware of any. I've only been a Model 1 owner for a couple of months but, the friend I purchased it from has been shooting/collecting Guncrafter 1911's since 2010 and as far as I know, he has never had an issue with any of them. When he recently decided to thin the herd, (he was up to 16 of them) I didn't hesitate to buy his un-fired Model 1 in .50 GI that was built in 2016. The fact that GI stands behind them with a lifetime warranty and that Alex Zimmerman personally test-fires each pistol before it leaves his shop is pretty reassuring.

But I can tell ya that after shooting 200 rounds of .50 GI, the Model 1 is in a league of its own compared to the other 1911's in my collection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 07:09 AM

My G.I. No Name (38 Super) is one of my all time favorites! Rest assured, no disappointments!

Click image for larger version

Name:	C5C438C6-5F30-4B23-B94A-43C6184A6D1A.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	567038

Click image for larger version

Name:	ABD6737E-AE7E-46EE-BDE5-7917410CBC86.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	567040
Old 11-03-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
New to GI and wonder if their quality had been consistent throughout their history. In shopping for a used one, are their any periods of manufacture or serial number ranges that should be avoided ? Thanks.
What’s your manufacturer reference point? Are there specific concerns you have?
Old 11-03-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
What’s your manufacturer reference point? Are there specific concerns you have?
Several dealers from whom I have bought other high end 1911's, have recommended GI to me. I just thought I remembered reading somewhere, that they had a period where quality control suffered. I must have been mistaken (do not mention to my wife that I said that).
I'm about to drop the hammer on one to round out my collection. Looking forward to it.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
Several dealers from whom I have bought other high end 1911's, have recommended GI to me. I just thought I remembered reading somewhere, that they had a period where quality control suffered. I must have been mistaken (do not mention to my wife that I said that).
I'm about to drop the hammer on one to round out my collection. Looking forward to it.
I never heard that, but, My first GI was pretty spontaneous regardless. An NN CCO in 38 super which was “used” but appeared close to unfired in appearance in pictures and by description by the seller who wasn’t the owner (you get my point).... )
It soon became a favorite. It hasn’t had any issues at all. My 4th GI is due next week.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:08 AM

Ive been shooting GI pistols since shortly after their release.
I recently sent my 38 Super/9mm commander back for ball cuts, round butt and Harrison slide stop/thumb safety.

Ive never heard or seen, any lapse in quality with Guncrafter
Old 11-05-2019, 06:23 AM

GI hasnt been around very long. IMO they are as good as any other semi custom on the market.. I have never heard of a time when QC wasnt good. There have been times when CS wasn't stellar IMO but thats a different issue as far as quality I wouldnt be concerned.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 AM

The fact that there are few, if any, threads dealing with problems with GI guns is a clue to their quality. Other than some fussing over the Melonite finish, there is very little complaining about the GI build quality or functional issues on this site. We have a 9mm CCO and a 10mm NN; both are stellar in execution, functional reliability, and accuracy.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:04 PM

You can't do much better than GI.