Colt or Clone? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 05:06 PM

Colt or Clone?

So, I am considering a Colt SAA or clone of same. I've looked at Uberti and read up on them a little. I would love to have an actual Colt but if you've priced these pistols you know that they are about 4x the price of the Uberti. So, other than the name what would be the difference in the pistols. Is the Colt that much better in terms of quality than the Uberti or are you just paying for the name?

FWIW, the use of this pistol is mostly just recreational shooting with low powered loads. Might carry it as a side arm while deer hunting on occasion. No interested in any type of competition.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:45 PM

The colt will only go up in value.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:01 PM

Not helping any, but.
Kind of bored on the abuse of the word clone. You mean the good folks at Uberti used Colt cells to make their pistols?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay View Post
The colt will only go up in value.
That may be true for older models but I'm not so sure it is the case for current mass produced pistols.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Colts are not mass produced. They are only made in the Custom Shop nowadays. They were, are, and always will be in high demand. There was a time when Ubertis were simply cheap Colt knock-offs, but in recent years their quality has improved to the point where some folks actually prefer them. My circa-2011 Cimarron (made by Uberti) isn't as tight or refined as my 1960's vintage Colt SAA, but it works fine and is the one I actually shoot. If I had to give one up of course the Cimarron would go first, but it's hard to argue with a $500 pistol that shoots just as well as a $1600+ one.

Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:50 PM

Brent told me last year that ONLY special-order Model Ps go through the Custom Shop, the CS does not do them all.

To address the rest:
The Colt will generally (nowdays) be built to a higher quality level.
It will be built more consistently.
It will have a recoil plate (firing pin bushing) which the Uberti won't.
It will most probably shoot closer to point of aim.
And it WILL retain its value far better than a Uberti.
Denis
Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Some stuff I had thought about already and some new stuff. I guess I'm trying to decide if the Colt is worth the extra cost for me. Probably not at the moment. What I'm considering is getting the Uberti now for fun and then maybe down the road learn a little more about Colts and try to get an older one as I think I would enjoy that more. Not an original 1873 or anything but at least a few years older than me so made in the 50s or prior. Even early 20th century if possible.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:33 PM

Colt or Clone?

I have one Colt (early 3rd generation) and 3 Taylor Uberti (recent manufacture) clones. To be honest, the Colt has/had a lot of flaws in fit, timing, and finish, though that is apparently characteristic of the early 3rd generations. The Ubertis are better revolvers in some ways than my particular Colt. However, the new Colts are very well finished, fitted. I am in the process of replacing the Colt parts that effect timing and cylinder slop. But it was a used revolver, and I only paid $800. I cannot complain.

I would not hesitate to get a Taylor Uberti SAA. However, their premium model ("Smokewagon") is worth the extra money. The fit, finish, poa/poi is better than their base model ("Cattleman"). I believe other importers have a premium model as well. Spend the extra money for it, over the base model. Different models have different levels of historical accuracy. The premium models are also closer to the Colt in minor design details.

I also have a Ruger Vaquero. They are also fine revolvers. If it was a field gun, that would be my first choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by fn1889m; 03-26-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 AM

Colt SAA knockoff

A great company that made a few great Colt revolvers was USFA. US Firearms Manufacturing, using the old (original) colt factory building. The company has failed (2011) but they created some of the finest Colt replicas ever made.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:01 AM

USFA was only in that building for a relatively short period, they moved out years ago, and they did not make Colt revolvers.
Denis
Old 03-27-2017, 04:31 PM

I own Colt, USFA, and Uberti SAA handguns. I shoot them all, and enjoy them all. My Colts are 1st and 2nd Generation guns and very well made and fitted. The USFA is exceptional as to fit and finish......one of my favorite SAAs. The Ubertis, including Cimarron, are good SAA for the price point, and offer a good quality for the $$$.......they just are not, and never will be, Colt SAA!!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 PM

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk (7.62" barrel) in .45/LC along with a .45/ACP cylinder. I love this gun, I have never had any problems with it. I have shot every kind of factory .45/LC through it without any issues and if you hand load, you can crank them up to .44 Magnum velocity! So POP to KA-BANG, your choice.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fn1889m View Post
I have one Colt (early 3rd generation) and 3 Taylor Uberti (recent manufacture) clones. To be honest, the Colt has/had a lot of flaws in fit, timing, and finish, though that is apparently characteristic of the early 3rd generations. The Ubertis are better revolvers in some ways than my particular Colt. However, the new Colts are very well finished, fitted. I am in the process of replacing the Colt parts that effect timing and cylinder slop. But it was a used revolver, and I only paid $800. I cannot complain.

I would not hesitate to get a Taylor Uberti SAA. However, their premium model ("Smokewagon") is worth the extra money. The fit, finish, poa/poi is better than their base model ("Cattleman"). I believe other importers have a premium model as well. Spend the extra money for it, over the base model. Different models have different levels of historical accuracy. The premium models are also closer to the Colt in minor design details.

I also have a Ruger Vaquero. They are also fine revolvers. If it was a field gun, that would be my first choice.

Thanks. The Smoke Wagon does look interesting. The Deluxe model is not to expensive and looks nice in the pics and seems to have some upgrades. I'll look in to that some more.

I did some quick browsing and it looks like if I ever want to get a 1st or 2nd gen Colt I'll definitely need to break out the check book.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:32 PM

Personally, I recommend Ruger Vaquero if you do not already have one. They have no collector value, but are built like brick outhouses. They make a great field gun. The Colt lockwork design is 100 plus years old. The Ruger is a modern design. Its a no-brainer to me.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:50 PM

Hate to pee on someone's parade...But Uberti has produced Colts for "Colt" before. Here's a photo from the 70's era when Uberti made them. Go to Cimarron Firearms Facebook page and scroll down to see it and other historical revolvers made by Uberti. Don't believe all that Colt is much hogwash....in all likely hood you see a Uberti.

Last edited by SFC Rick; 03-27-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Rick View Post
Hate to pee on someone's parade...But Uberti has produced Colts for "Colt" before. Here's a photo from the 70's era when Uberti made them. Go to Cimarron Firearms Facebook page and scroll down to see it and other historical revolvers made by Uberti. Don't believe all that Colt is much hogwash....in all likely hood you see a Uberti.

Seems to me i remember some where around the late 90's people complaining about that. They would buy a Colt and it would have clone parts, and vise versa

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVtater View Post
Seems to me i remember some where around the late 90's people complaining about that. They would buy a Colt and it would have clone parts, and vise versa

Yep, lot's of complaints...i.e. Colt subbed out production. Heck I went by a Harley plant in Naples, Italy and witnessed huge lots of shipments to the US. So while saying Colt is yada yada that much better....in reality maybe it's great because in the past it was an Italian stud!

Who knows what production is today or how much it was in decades past.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Rick View Post
Yep, lot's of complaints...i.e. Colt subbed out production. Heck I went by a Harley plant in Naples, Italy and witnessed huge lots of shipments to the US. So while saying Colt is yada yada that much better....in reality maybe it's great because in the past it was an Italian stud!

Who knows what production is today or how much it was in decades past.
Lol maybe the Italian stuff is just as good or better

Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 PM

Go on down to Big 5 for a Smith & Wesson knife.

Cheap.

Guessing it's not very S&W at all.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:53 PM

Colt did sub out parts for their black powder reproductions ("Second Generation") to Uberti and others, but the SAA was not subed out to Uberti. I do believe that some of the parts are currently subcontracted to US companies, as rough forgings. But Colt SAA revolvers are not contracted out. I am not saying every Colt SAA is a masterpiece. Colt (civilian) has had it's ups and downs as a manufacturer. But the current production of SAA revolver is substantially better than a typical Uberti equivalent.

But again, if you are looking for a fun range or woods revolver, and want years of trouble free service, look at the Ruger single action revolvers. Dollar for dollar, you get a lot of gun in a Ruger Vaquero.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:25 PM

Colt has never outsourced the Peacemaker in part or in whole to Uberti.
Never.
Uberti provided in-the-raws for Colt blackpowder "re-intros", but never the Peacemaker.

Colt for many years has outsourced some parts & processes for the Peacemaker IN THE US.
NOT Italy.
Denis
Old 03-28-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Never.
Uberti provided in-the-raws for Colt blackpowder "re-intros", but never the Peacemaker.

Colt for many years has outsourced some parts & processes for the Peacemaker IN THE US.
NOT Italy.
Denis
Okaaaay......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Never.

NOT Italy.
Denis

This ^^^^^^ has always been my understanding.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 AM

I also have both, but shoot the Uberti more and admire the Colt.
Both shoot POA and their actions are about equal. But take them apart and you'll see the difference, factory finish is not equal.
If you want a nice looking shooter you can't beat a Uberti, if you want something that 100 years from now people will still admire, save your $$ and buy a Colt.

Last edited by jbmi; 03-29-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 AM

I have a Ruger New Vaquero that I have done some mods to, springs, grips, hammer, trigger and it is a beast and dead accurate POA. For a range/hunter that will take a lot of abuse, go American.
Attached Thumbnails
new.JPG