SW1911 with high Rnd Count - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-20-2004, 08:31 PM

SW1911 with high Rnd Count

Does anybody have over 5,000 rounds, (arbitrary number) through their SW1911?
Any parts replacement do to breakage?

Last edited by Bluetooth; 08-21-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:22 PM

Hi rd ct

Have two S&W 1911 5", both over 15K, #1 has had three extractors (18K) and second #2 at S&W as I write this for the first broken extractor, which is not a home repair item. The other Smith #1 came back w/ a factory installed new barrel at no charge, as well as a new extractor.
Have no idea why barrel was replaced as I had no issues with it's performance or condition. Had the same type experience w/ Smith before on a 4566, in for trigger return spring issue that was gunsmith installed. They replaced, brrl, bushing, recoil rod, recoil spring, slide stop, and sent a new magazine back with it, cost was $22.50. Rd ct was about 30K on that piece. Frame had crack at 53K and was replaced at no charge. Tell me how you can go wrong w/ a S&W? Love the Sc and it is approaching 1K. Harlie
Old 08-21-2004, 01:52 AM

I have about 8,000 +/- rounds through mine and zero problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2004, 07:49 AM

Harlie, What broke on your extractor?
Old 08-21-2004, 08:42 AM

S&W 1911 wear on critical components

Call the S&W Shooting Center in Springfield, MA. I saw a Shooting Center 1911 that digested (if I remember correctly) 140,000 rounds. The extractor went at 40,000 rounds. The grip safety was replaced because the finish wore off. All other parts (including the recoil spring) had in fact been original! How did the gun feel? Well, it was not as tight as a new S&W 1911. It felt like what I describe as a "tight GI" gun would feel. Shake it and hear a barely detectable, light sounding rattle. The fact that the recoil spring had never been replaced say's a lot. The barrel hood was scuffed up and actually looked like carbon steel from so many cyclings. NATIONALMATCH
Old 08-21-2004, 11:58 PM

Broken Extractor

Hook breaking off in pieces, last one entire hook tip gone. Broke during a ccourse of fire, was able w/ some clearance drills and much luck to get last mag and half finished. Time suffered greatly. Probaly was going in pieces as well. harlie
Old 08-23-2004, 01:02 AM

I have just over 5000 rounds through mine. I have had no problems with mine.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:57 PM

OK, you are seeing it here firt. I have put zero rounds through this gun. Just picked it up today, cleaned it and ready to put some test rounds down the pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
SW1911Sc.jpg  
Old 08-23-2004, 10:09 PM

Over 6000 and still going strong. Eats everything I've put through it with the exception of flat nosed fmj's, like what you get from the Winchester white box. Everything else, FMJ, semi-wadcutters, and every hollow point that is out there, loads and shoots just fine.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetooth
OK, you are seeing it here firt. I have put zero rounds through this gun. Just picked it up today, cleaned it and ready to put some test rounds down the pipe.
A nice looking pistol Bluetooth. Let us know how that super duper alien alloy holds up. Must be alot of people out there still pissed at Smith. There are more rumors and heresay floating around out there about the Sc than any new gun I've seen in a long time.
Four days and counting untill my PC comes home. Can't wait. Pulling hair and nashing teeth.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."George Washington
Old 08-24-2004, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlie
Have two S&W 1911 5", both over 15K, #1 has had three extractors (18K) and second #2 at S&W as I write this for the first broken extractor, which is not a home repair item.
I think I know why the PC model at double the price has a bigger extractor.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWDude
A nice looking pistol Bluetooth. Let us know how that super duper alien alloy holds up. .........
It will feed depleted uranium and kryptonite bullets without a hitch.

I will be out of town part of this weekend, hoping to give a range report soon.